Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Chasing girls is also expensive, but I will accept the benefits are slightly more interesting than BAEC status
I wonder how many people strut about with an "I have a girlfriend" tag on their laptop bag
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
BA is no longer the benevolent old Uncle we used to know. Instead, he has morphed into a penny-pinching old Grandfather (the image of Private Fraser from Dad's Army flashes across my mind) who cares naught for anyone or anything except scraping money from every corner of his existence, and shovelling it into a tin under the bed.
A more apt description of the "current BA" I've not read

BRAVO Uncle T ^ ^ BRAVO
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I asked James Hillier this very question shortly after LTG and LTGGL were introduced. There are no plans to add LTS.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
In the olden days LTS was given when you were Gold for ten years. That was 1,700 TPs for year one and 1,300 TPs for the next nine. That's about 14,000 TPs in today's money.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It won't happen...if anything, the scrapping of Lifetime Gold is more likely to happen.

I used to love flying even in economy, the longer the flight the more excited I got. Now I find it all a bit of a nuisance so I'm glad there wasn't such a thing to chase when I was young or it would have ended up being a waste of money. I was more interested in chasing girls anyway.
I agree. I love the irony of "Lifetime" in the name. It won't be around when I'm 40; I would put good money on it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Quote:

Chasing girls is also expensive, but I will accept the benefits are slightly more interesting than BAEC status

I wonder how many people strut about with an "I have a girlfriend" tag on their laptop bag
I have a "I have a Wife tag" which I proudly display on my finger.
tigertanaka and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
I agree. I love the irony of "Lifetime" in the name. It won't be around when I'm 40; I would put good money on it.
Are you 39?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I thought I would resurrect this in case anyone (relevant) at BA is following the Board. I have just hit 25k LT points and think this would be a perfect level for LTS

I think earlier posters maybe miss the main point. It would be to reward people like me who have been loyal BA flyers for many decades, with a relatively even spread of travel - in my case dating back long before TPs had even been introduced. One of my gripes is that I get no recognition for all the Concorde and TATL F trips I did before TPs were even a glimmer in Mr Hillier's eye - or maybe even before Mr Hillier was born

I have made Gold for many, years but even then I am not really that close to LTG. My problem is that retirement looms, and with it the end of the longhaul premium business flights. All I want is some little reward - by way of easy check-in and lounge access - to ease my wearied way through the airport on my ET holiday flights. Its not that much to ask after a lifetime's loyal flying !

So if anyone relevant is reading this, please do give it a thought ....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
srbrenna,
I remember something like this back in the 90s. By the time I had achieved the numbers, they had scrapped the scheme.

Anyway, BA's historic records of my flights is useless. They do not even have a record of my one and only Concorde flight, JFK to LHR.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:54 pm

Is there an argument for having a lifetime bronze?
My thinking is that the cost would be very low to BA, yes the benefits are minimal/negligible to the many golds here (hands up how many long time golds even remember them ) but bit part TP earners or those only in the FF game for a few years on Y fares will be tempted to choose BA more IMO at that small carrot. Just look at how addictive the FF status game is in general (or more generally for the younger generation how they entice use in computer games and apps with earning valueless achievements for high usage).

Granted it might seem odd to have Bronze for life and gold but no silver but maybe you just set lifetime silver stupidly close to lifetime gold so as to render it nearly pointless but avoid the oddity.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I personally doubt it - as a lifetime programme BA G4L is not that expensive to attain if you keep in mind the lowest reasonable possible costs, my estimates are as follows:

- BA Gold for Life ~ £52.5k
- Asiana *A Gold for life ~ 40k
- UA Million Miler ~ 35k
- AF/KLM Plat for Life ~45k

Considering the benefits are significantly higher to *A Gold or SkyTeam Elite+, and that Silver is comparable, I wouldn't see it being introduced below 20k lifetime TPs, at the very least. And 20k isn't a very attractive proposition, I think.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Before the GGL partner cards came in, and just after GFL became a "thing", back in November 2013, I was at a lovely GGL lunch with Martin Broughton, Maggie Draycottt, Frank van der Post and other BA seniors.

They were sharing the updates on GFL (there were 8,000 GFLs qualified in the first wave) and announcing the news of the GGL partner cards and they said they were considering a SFL option, but they said that they would gauge the impact of GFL first and consider whether SFL would dilute the push for GFL.

Clearly these people have now left BA - in fact I think every BA person I remember at the lunch has now left BA - but at least this confirms that SFL was once being considered !

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Feb 6, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I mentally thought 25k was LTG

There is no way I would ever make 52k

The day will come fairly soon when I wont be able to maintain sliver

At that point it probably won’t make sense to fly BA but experiment with other operators that dont have the negatives like charging for seat selection

Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I mentally thought 25k was LTG

There is no way I would ever make 52k
LTG is 35K TPs, the 52(.5)k mentioned above was that poster’s estimate of the minimum GBP cost of achieving LTG, which I suspect contains a fair amount of TP running.
mccartje likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Could perhaps try a different approach? Offer LTS based on number of years you reach it? Reach silver in at least 20 out of 30 years, for instance.. Would encourage people to stay BA to get more qualifying years and would mean a minimum of 12000 TPS (spread over years) to get it, assuming people hit 600 exactly. Also allows for the odd year off etc.

I await the rebuttals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.