Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Old Apr 27, 15, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold

With my current flying patterns I'm earning just north of 1k TPs each year means it will be another 32 years before I make Lifetime Gold (and I'll be over 60 )

When Lifetime Tier points were first introduced there was talk of "the chance to accumulate enough Lifetime Tier Points to achieve the new rewards we’ll be introducing in the future – starting with the launch of Gold membership for life"

Will BA ever introduce Lifetime Silver status or are there any new rewards in the pipeline for Lifetime Tier points apart from Gold status? The new BAEC changes from tomorrow will make TPs harder to get so maybe there a genuine enhancement for Lifetime points on the cards?
Old Apr 27, 15, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As my 'lifetime' is somewhat inhibited by my age, I have no personal interest in the prospect!

That said, if LTS would cost BA more than, say, £180.47 per annum, globally, I doubt I will see it being introduced in MY lifetime. Younger subscribers here will clearly have a different view.

BA is no longer the benevolent old Uncle we used to know. Instead, he has morphed into a penny-pinching old Grandfather (the image of Private Fraser from Dad's Army flashes across my mind) who cares naught for anyone or anything except scraping money from every corner of his existence, and shovelling it into a tin under the bed.
Greg66, IFE Wizard, mac123 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 15, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'd very much doubt it!

Silver is (or was!) relatively easy to attain with regular flying, be it 50 flights or 600 points, and Id imagine that giving a lifetime silver would just cover far too many potential passengers and therefore cost too much.....

The only way i could see it ever happening is as a staging point on the way to lifetime gold - but even then it would need to be set at a pretty high level to ensure that the system wasn't swamped .... Even then... those who are getting up to lifetime gold are probably annual golds or GGLs already and the offer of a lifetime silver wouldn't be attractive to those level of flyers - they like the extra perks of being gold+
CaroFos likes this.
Old Apr 27, 15, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by CarolynUK View Post
I'd very much doubt it!

Silver is (or was!) relatively easy to attain with regular flying, be it 50 flights or 600 points, and Id imagine that giving a lifetime silver would just cover far too many potential passengers and therefore cost too much.....

The only way i could see it ever happening is as a staging point on the way to lifetime gold - but even then it would need to be set at a pretty high level to ensure that the system wasn't swamped .... Even then... those who are getting up to lifetime gold are probably annual golds or GGLs already and the offer of a lifetime silver wouldn't be attractive to those level of flyers - they like the extra perks of being gold+
LTS could have nothing to do with how easy it is to achieve silver status on an annual basis. BA could set any number of lifetime TPs as the bar for LTS. Maybe weight it towards rewarding those who rack up considerably more TPs than the minimum each year for many years, rather than those who are scraping 600.
Old Apr 27, 15, 8:47 am

Well - we can do a simple estimate of what the bar might be.

LTG was set at 35,000 - so 23.3 years of gold at a base level. Therefore, on that logic, LTS would be 23.3 * 600 or 14,000 points.

That would seem very low to me. I'd expect it to be 20k or 25k personally. If it were to happen at all that is.

Reasoning is I think the biggest danger with a LTS level is that passengers might consider it 'good enough' and stop targeting BA or those with whom they have a joint business agreement - e.g. it'd get them into lounges on QR/AB etc. Hence why I suspect it'd be set exceptionally high - and higher (proportionally) than the LTG level.

But equally - I'd argue that most silvers wouldn't ever get to LTS anyway - so there's little danger in that - and those that would hit LTS would already be gold and wouldn't benefit unless they stopped flying BA anyway (which would seem unlikely if the gap between LTS and LTG were small enough).

M.
Old Apr 27, 15, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by CarolynUK View Post
I'd very much doubt it!

In the situation you describe, lifetime silver does have some merrit - those people would know that they would never fall below silver if their travel pattern changes etc
Old Apr 27, 15, 9:28 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post

But equally - I'd argue that most silvers wouldn't ever get to LTS anyway - so there's little danger in that - and those that would hit LTS would already be gold and wouldn't benefit unless they stopped flying BA anyway (which would seem unlikely if the gap between LTS and LTG were small enough).

M.
I beg to disagree. My Lifetime Tier Points are 14,640. Over the years I switched between Silver and Gold but have been a lowly Blue for at least 8 years. My last revenue flight with BA was in 2013 and prior to that 2010. I don't fly BA since they deserted the regions. If I need to get to London I'll use easyJet assuming flying to LHR isn't a no brainer.

If they did introduce a Lifetime Silver at the level you quote I'd qualify although I haven't been Silver or Gold for 8 years. I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell of then introducing that but I can but dream.
Old Apr 27, 15, 9:53 am

Programs: QF (WP, LTG), LH (SEN** till 02/20), AB-G, AF, AA
Just little comparison:
QF offers Life Silver (Ruby, BA Bronze) for 7000 SCs and Life Gold (Sapphire, BA Silver) for 14000 SCs. There is no Platinum, because they fear the cost.

That was the reason to stay with QFF for quite a long time.
Old Apr 27, 15, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
I beg to disagree. My Lifetime Tier Points are 14,640. Over the years I switched between Silver and Gold but have been a lowly Blue for at least 8 years. My last revenue flight with BA was in 2013 and prior to that 2010. I don't fly BA since they deserted the regions. If I need to get to London I'll use easyJet assuming flying to LHR isn't a no brainer.

If they did introduce a Lifetime Silver at the level you quote I'd qualify although I haven't been Silver or Gold for 8 years. I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell of then introducing that but I can but dream.
Perhaps I should have been a little clearer - I meant 'perpetual silvers' - e.g. those that scrape past every year without ever getting to gold.

But this is also why I think the bar would be set higher - e.g. what does the average silver end at every year and then go from there. I suspect that's also what they did with LTG - what's the average gold-y ending at every year and then working out how many years they'd want to give it over and rounding up.

I would strongly suspect the answer for silvers is somewhere around 900-1000 ... that'd be my guess ... hence why it'd be about 20 years from there - so about 20k.

But - like anyone else on here - I'm picking random numbers and guesses.
Old Apr 27, 15, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
AY does 3M for Sapphire, 5M for Emerald.

Renewals are 90,000 and 150,000 annually respectively, keeping in mind tier multipliers are 10%, 15% and 25% respectively starting from ruby.
Old Apr 27, 15, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP;Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Maybe...

I wouldn't discount it...
I have the equivalent, AA Lifetime Platinum... (similar to BA Silver); AA don't yet have Lifetime Exec Platinum and means ofcourse you don't need to attain the threshold year by year which is good...
Think you need 1 million AA miles to get it... (heading towards 3 MM currently)...
Old Apr 27, 15, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a "Silver Scraper" ... joined in 07, scraped Silver in 11 and likely to become one again!

My 5,175 Lifetime TPs sent going to get anyone's pulse racing at Waterside, and certainly doesn't here!

The Young Ones and the Real FFs have different prospects, of course
Old Apr 27, 15, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by wemyss View Post
I wouldn't discount it...
I have the equivalent, AA Lifetime Platinum... (similar to BA Silver); AA don't yet have Lifetime Exec Platinum and means ofcourse you don't need to attain the threshold year by year which is good...
Think you need 1 million AA miles to get it... (heading towards 3 MM currently)...
It's 2 million miles for Lifetime Platinum (oneworld sapphire).
Old Apr 27, 15, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
It won't happen...if anything, the scrapping of Lifetime Gold is more likely to happen.

I used to love flying even in economy, the longer the flight the more excited I got. Now I find it all a bit of a nuisance so I'm glad there wasn't such a thing to chase when I was young or it would have ended up being a waste of money. I was more interested in chasing girls anyway.
cjb666 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 15, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
It won't happen...if anything, the scrapping of Lifetime Gold is more likely to happen.

I used to love flying even in economy, the longer the flight the more excited I got. Now I find it all a bit of a nuisance so I'm glad there wasn't such a thing to chase when I was young or it would have ended up being a waste of money. I was more interested in chasing girls anyway.
Chasing girls is also expensive, but I will accept the benefits are slightly more interesting than BAEC status

I have a "Lifetime Gold" Wife
Cheny likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: