Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - HKG E-Channel registration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:23 am

I don't have my passport to hand, but it was passport expiry, AFAIK.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:43 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I had mine (USA Passport) for years until my passport expired. Just went in with my new passport and the old one with the bar code, went to the office and they updated my new passport. Took less that 10 minutes. I did it on a layover.

This also works in any e-channel entry or exit in Hong Kong, such as Lo Wu train to China and ferry crossing to Macau. Very handy.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by headinclouds
How long is the barcode valid? End of BA membership year or passport expiry? The frequent traveler card is only valid for 1 year I believe.
The Frequent Visitor Card used to be valid 3 years at a time, but last time mine was up for renewal I just got an email telling:

Thank you for your support to the Frequent Visitor Card (FVC) Programme.

As our valued customer, we are pleased to inform you that your FVC card have been automatically extended by three years until (a date almost 4 years away) (IDXXXXX) . Please use your current FVC card to enjoy our service as no new card will be issued.
The bar code sticker on my passport is about 4.5 years old, but then again I go through HKIA about 20 times in any year.
My guess is that the sticker would be valid until passport expiry in any case.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Lappe
The Frequent Visitor Card used to be valid 3 years at a time, but last time mine was up for renewal I just got an email telling:

The bar code sticker on my passport is about 4.5 years old, but then again I go through HKIA about 20 times in any year.
My guess is that the sticker would be valid until passport expiry in any case.
Would it not be valid until 1 month beyond intended stay as per IMMD requirements?
(thus 7 months/4 months/5-6 weeks, depending on which passport is used?)
(this can be verified on TIMATIC.)
(and I do not know the specifics of this, having stated the reason in a prior post.)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:50 pm

The stickers themselves do not need to be valid beyond the passport expiry date.

You get the actual permission to stay and the period granted on the slip which comes out upon scanning your fingerprint.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: OWS,E+,A3Gold,TK+
Full list of status levels from the book at echannel available here.

Bit.ly/echannelhkg

Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
You can also do it with x number (I think 4) entries in the last year. I did it with neither my Marco Polo nor BA card and a new passport and I just told them I do it regularly and they took the photo and that was that. I rarely use the bar code as I have a passport cover and never a problem with the standard picture page scan.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:36 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nuster
You can also do it with x number (I think 4) entries in the last year. I did it with neither my Marco Polo nor BA card and a new passport and I just told them I do it regularly and they took the photo and that was that. I rarely use the bar code as I have a passport cover and never a problem with the standard picture page scan.
BA Gold is certainly still working - MrsNWI and I registered at the beginning of June when we arrived on a CX flight. The office itself has moved, right to the far left of the band of immigration desks, and it isn't particularly well signed from the majority of desks - in fact, we got through to the baggage hall before realising we'd gone too far, (no doubt illegally) sneaked back in because the immigration doors remained open given the constant stream of people, and found someone to direct us.

My barcode hasn't worked for the last two entries/exits, but the passport page has - fortunately the officer who processed me mentioned both options as a throwaway remark!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.