Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cockpit Safety regulations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I'm sure we're all aware of the procedures at say AA where a Cabin Crew Member enters the flight deck when a pilot leaves. Surely this is better than this not happening at all?! Give them a little bit of training on opening the door, it looks very simple, I'm sure I could do it now after watching the video.

If the argument is then well, the CCM could be overpowered...yes true. And then equally maybe a pilot can bring a machete onboard, a machine gun or a bomb, but all those things are a given. Requiring a CCM to go into the cockpit would be a positive change.
The machete wont be necessary,there is a perfectly serviceable axe strapped to the bulkhead behind the Captain.One unfortunate crew who tried and failed to do some DIY repairs to the weather radar inflight found they were unable to get it back in its rack,and it was in the way of the thrust levers.Result,chopped it up with the crash axe to get it out of the way.

Very interesting phone call to the chief pilot after landing.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Of course. Otherwise we may as well shut down FT and PPRuNE for that matter!
Although sometimes when the nutters and trolls come out of the woodwork I feel like screaming for full shutdown of the internet
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Should we follow the American lead and let them carry guns?
I may be missing something (I usually am) but I am not sure arming a pilot is necessarily going to protect us from a pilot.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Should we follow the American lead and let them carry guns?
The excellent safety record of the aviation industry is partly down to the way lessons are learned from any incident (such as this or much more minor).

I don't feel any less safe because of this tragedy, but if improvements to procedure can be made then they should be considered directly.

The best combination, I would think, is yes CCM replaces flight crew for a loo break and no-one has any guns. CIHY or others; are there good safety reasons for not having a one in, one out of the cockpit rule?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paulieuk
Mods please delete.
Yeah right because the mods are here to do as you see fit.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BBC News has just reported Easyjet will change its procedures from tomorrow insisting two crew are present in the flight deck at all times
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 am

Wouldn't it be a good idea that the lock lever in the cockpit should have an override code only known by two people, pilot and co-pilot, and changed before every flight (or shift at a minimum).
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SteveF
The fact that it's happened four times now.
What's different about a fourth time? (Of course, it might be the fifth, but that's unconfirmed.) Why wasn't this change needed in 1997?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by MillionMileMarker
Wouldn't it be a good idea that the lock lever in the cockpit should have an override code only known by two people, pilot and co-pilot, and changed before every flight (or shift at a minimum).
If it is changed daily or every flight you run the chance that the code is forgotten... especially as it is not something that you would be using in a normal situation.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:35 am

the undeniable truth is that in many ways in this life we are all responsible for the safety and security of each other - we are all each other's "neighbour". When we don't live up to that responsibility (and the Germanwings tragedy is but a start example of a common problem across all facets of life) then people get hurt.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well it is some free PR and you would think BA would catch onto that like wild fire!
They're probably conferring as we speak. Unions will be demanding a Pilot Relief Coverage Allowance.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by bulkhead
I'm not sure this is going to make you feel any better, but remember that statistically the journey to/from the airport by car is still most dangerous part of your trip. (Assuming that you are not planning to push in at the front during fast track boarding ).
And that's true even this week, with this crash - 500 deaths each week in road accidents across Europe... and that never makes the ten o'clock news.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There may some aviation-related tragedies that are simply not preventable.

A pilot who is intent on bringing down the plane can always attack the flight attendant while the other pilot is in the loo. There's a handy crash axe that would likely suffice.

Here in the States, if the lone pilot is armed, they can simply shoot the flight attendant. And, obviously, if the pilots are armed, then the homicidal pilot could always just shoot the other while they're both seated on the flight deck.

History has given us all sorts of awful examples of humans failing their fellow humans. Perhaps the best course of action is to attempt to minimize the more likely risks and accept the less-likely risks.

My guess is that there are fewer homicidal pilots than there are homicidal passengers, and thus keeping the homicidal passengers at bay must be the primary goal even if we occasionally experience what happens when a pilot decides to intentionally crash a plane full of passengers.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Absolutely right that we should not go into specifics (and incidentally though it's great the authorities have put so much so quickly into the public domain, it is still easy to speculate on limited facts). However are you, in very broad general terms, able to suggest that this sequence of events is unlikely to happen on BA?
Its unlikely to happen on any airline. Last 3 suspected pilot suicides were 1997, 1999 and possibly on in 2013. So in broad general terms I'd say unlikely although not impossible on BA
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You do know that if one of the pilot leaves to go e.g. to the toilet that the other person is a member of cabin crew?

How do you expect them to know what the remaining pilot is doing is something untoward or to be able to stop them?
This is a good question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.