Wiki Posts
Search

security on BAEC site/account

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
security on BAEC site/account

Just wondering if anyone else got an email apparently from BAEC saying a/c was hacked and to follow link to change pwd?
As I write this, it seems even more dubious, but I haven't been near my account for a couple of years. Probably phishing. But just not quite sure.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
If you look at the BAEC forum on here, you'll read that a few people have recently had issues where their BAEC accounts have been hacked and Avios bookings made fraudently. The email you've received sounds genuine and consistent with what is being reported on the BAEC forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-hacked.html
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I got on to my account and all my avios have gone.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by measures
Thanks. I got on to my account and all my avios have gone.
Can you see from your booking history what they've been used for / where they've gone? It sounds like (from the thread above) that you should be able to at least claim them back from BA. Not a nice thing to experience though!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bibbju
Can you see from your booking history what they've been used for / where they've gone? It sounds like (from the thread above) that you should be able to at least claim them back from BA. Not a nice thing to experience though!
There is no need to claim them back - BA will return them in due course once it has completed its investigation.

(I've alerted a mod to move this to the BAEC board thread on the same topic)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is no need to claim them back - BA will return them in due course once it has completed its investigation.

(I've alerted a mod to move this to the BAEC board thread on the same topic)
Thanks, and thans to Bibbju too.
The missing avios were taken on 20th, under a heading 'ex gratia'. This is the only movement on the account, as I was 'saving' them for a trip to Australia once my health is up to it. (nearly there).
Today, having changed my password on the account, I went back in to check if the avios had returned, only to discover from various messages that my email address is no longer the one associated with the account, and later, that the membership number is not recognised. It could be that they have been de-activated due to the problem. I hope so.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It does sound like BA have been compromised in some way, but they are not being particularly upfront about it (blaming a 3rd party site). it's affected a number of people on FT.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Moving to the BAEC forum to join the other discussions on this topic. Please continue to follow this discussion in the BAEC forum.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by measures
Just wondering if anyone else got an email apparently from BAEC saying a/c was hacked and to follow link to change pwd?
As I write this, it seems even more dubious, but I haven't been near my account for a couple of years. Probably phishing. But just not quite sure.
I assume you didn't click the link in the email and instead went to the BA site and logged in normally?

BTW an ex-gratia deduction may actually mean that your account is being audited. However, if your account number isn't being recognised I'd recommend a call to your BAEC service centre!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
OP says he hasn't been near his account for a couple of years - depending on precisely how long that is, might be that his miles have expired due to lack of activity.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
OP says he hasn't been near his account for a couple of years - depending on precisely how long that is, might be that his miles have expired due to lack of activity.
As I understand it, my miles shouldn't have expired. Open to correction, and if I'm wrong, I won't pursue this further, but will just abandon BA. They are miles transferred when BD was taken over, and as it coincided with my retirement, I'm just saving them for my one final travel fling!

Update following check:-
My account was only opened in September 2012, with the transfer of my BD miles (100,000+), so I have until September to produce some activity on the account. A trip to Kildare Village seems to be the best thing, but I wonder if it will work, if the account is 'suspended'?
I wrote (snailmail) enclosing my most recent statement showing the avios and membership number, and sent an email on the 'UK only' page of customer service (no other option to send email). I got an email back saying they had forwarded my email to BAEC, but no other response yet. The a/c is still unusable.

Last edited by measures; Mar 28, 2015 at 8:45 am Reason: Update current position
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Angry The outcome

Well, my Avios are back in my account and I can access the account. This is the history of what happened.
1.I received an email, which told me that they were investigating a possible illegal access to the account. Scary stuff!
2. I changed my password and found all my avios seemed to be gone; after that the account became inaccessible, telling me that the membership number was not recognised.
3. I wrote by snailmail, sending a copy of my latest statement.
4. I received the same scary email again today. This time I was sure it was a phishing attempt, and phoned the BAEC overseas members access number. The automated message hung up on me 3 times , so I phoned the number for UK based members.
5. Was told that all the BAEC accounts are being audited, the email is genuine and to go ahead and change my password.
6. I did that, not expecting it to work, but it did. ^.The Avios are back in my account,
7. In the meantime, I spent some money in Kildare Village to make sure I keep the account open until I use the Avios. (at least this whole thing reminded me that I have to have some activity in the account every 36 months. )
Very unpleasant experience all round, and very annoying to realise it was just because they are doing an audit. What would be wrong with writing 'we are doing an audit, and while we do it, you account will be locked. If your account is in order, it will be unlocked again in x days, when we will ask you to change your password.'?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

So, it was you that started it all

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ex-gratia.html
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Thank-you measures for reporting back.

As we have a large thread covering similar experiences from other members, I'll close this thread so the discussion can continue in one place.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.