Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios hacked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Avios hacked

Our Avios account was hacked and two rooms for 3 nights in Spain were booked, with my name as lead traveller and two Russian sounding names booked alongside. We called BA which froze our account and cancelled the booking, and called the hotel and actually spoke a minute with the person since the front desk agent thought we wanted to speak with Dimitri and Olga as well as the local police (good thing we speak Spanish). We doubt they'd do anything about it but it was an interesting experience.

Anyway, any idea how this happened? I did have fraud on my BA card a week ago, just a $50 charge at Starbucks. Cancelled the card and got a new one but how did they do a booking with avios without me getting an email? How do they check in without the lead traveller?

Also any experience getting avios refunded? Customer service wasn't able to say they could refund it.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
what was hacked ?

BA avios or avios.com ?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

BA Avios. could be that the credit card hack was separate but doesn't seem like it. We noticed something was wrong when checking in for a flight and our avios act was missing 30k. Looked into our booking history and saw a hotel booking for Spain.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
ok the only account I have ever had hacked was paypal

all I can suggest is be pro active keep at them and any losses you have incurred will be reinstated to your account but be prepared to use strong words

best of luck with it and keep us updated with progress
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:09 pm

While it seems obvious to make the connection, are there actually any links between the BA credit card and an Avios account that a hacker could exploit? Obviously they transfer across, but the login details surely must be completely different?

It seems more likely to me (not in any way a qualified security expert!) that your email or computer was hacked and they got the information from that. Not that it really helps you - presumably you're already being vigilant over all your accounts and have changed all your passwords?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
ok the only account I have ever had hacked was paypal

all I can suggest is be pro active keep at them and any losses you have incurred will be reinstated to your account but be prepared to use strong words

best of luck with it and keep us updated with progress
I had SPG hacked and they took such a run at PayPal I cancelled my account just to be safe.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
While it seems obvious to make the connection, are there actually any links between the BA credit card and an Avios account that a hacker could exploit? Obviously they transfer across, but the login details surely must be completely different?

It seems more likely to me (not in any way a qualified security expert!) that your email or computer was hacked and they got the information from that. Not that it really helps you - presumably you're already being vigilant over all your accounts and have changed all your passwords?
Absolutely. I've seen this pattern before - get into one account, find out email address - get into email address because password is the same or similar, from there - see all the email marketing the person gets with their account numbers.

Then they can hit account by account and they can do password resets because they're inside their email (although that does kind of notify the end user so they try to avoid it).

If you then get access to something you can spend - e.g. avios - make the booking and delete the email that lands before the person can see it.

The alternative route is this: Log into the account, change the email address (this only works if no notifications are sent out - not sure on BA.com, never changed my email) - then place booking - then change email address back.

If sites are implementing best practice they'll send a notification to the old and new email addresses notifying of a change like that.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Avios Stolen

I had avios taken out of my accont for 2 internal flights in Russia last year. My account was frozen and within a couple of weeks they were recredited without any fuss.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Sludge
My account has been hacked this week. I've just been put into audit but not been told what's happened with any of my hard-earned Avios. I imagine many have gone.

Even my name has been changed on the account and I can't see how that could be possible!

Feeling the shakes...
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
On the one occasion I had some fraudulent credit card activity, I had to be absolutely forensic in my investigation of the problem. Keep at them, and be prepared for a little legwork.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's an article in todays La Razon newspaper about Latin American miles programmes being hacked into...a growing problem down this way according to them. Seemingly caused by people replying to official looking emails asking you to verify your account details.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Flyerflyer333
Our Avios account was hacked and two rooms for 3 nights in Spain were booked, with my name as lead traveller and two Russian sounding names booked alongside. We called BA which froze our account and cancelled the booking, and called the hotel and actually spoke a minute with the person since the front desk agent thought we wanted to speak with Dimitri and Olga as well as the local police (good thing we speak Spanish). We doubt they'd do anything about it but it was an interesting experience.

Anyway, any idea how this happened? I did have fraud on my BA card a week ago, just a $50 charge at Starbucks. Cancelled the card and got a new one but how did they do a booking with avios without me getting an email? How do they check in without the lead traveller?

Also any experience getting avios refunded? Customer service wasn't able to say they could refund it.
Do run an anti-spyware scan on your PC to check for keyloggers etc...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
I got this email few minutes ago:
Dear Customer

British Airways has become aware of some unauthorised activity in relation to your Executive Club account.

This appears to have been the result of a third party using information obtained elsewhere on the internet, via an automated process, to try to gain access to your Executive Club account.

We understand this was login information relating to a different online service which you may have also used to access your Executive Club account.

We would like to reassure you that, although it does appear that the login attempt was successful, at this stage we are not aware of any access to any subsequent information pages within your account, including your flight history or payment card details.

We have now locked down your online account to protect it from further access. As part of the lock-down process we have also changed your password and you will need to reset it before you are able to use your account.

Please click here and follow the password reset process.

If you use the same login details for your Executive Club account as you do for your online accounts with any other organisations, we would also recommend that you change the passwords for these accounts, as well as exercising vigilance regarding any unusual or suspicious use of your personal data.

For a short period of time, as a precaution, we have also suspended the use of Avios on your account. We will let you know when this suspension period is over.

In the meantime, however, if you wish to spend your Avios please contact us via your local Executive Club service centre. We will be able to reactivate your account by asking you some additional security questions.

We are sorry for the concern and inconvenience this matter may have caused you and would like to reassure you that we are taking this incident seriously.

British Airways Executive Club team
Nothing changed on my account, no missing points (no additional TP!) so all seems ok! (password changed)!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:25 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Just got the same email, have received a funny email from Accor program recently as well, have changed passwords on both but I wonder where the leak is exactly.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alelex
"We understand this was login information relating to a different online service which you may have also used to access your Executive Club account."
Do you use AwardWallet or anything like that? One possible interpretation of this is that BA thinks that a site like AwardWallet has been hacked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.