Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre flight announcement by the captain

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
It's possible they were dealing with some issues. The PA isn't a high item on the priority list if focus is needed elsewhere.
Are you telling me on a 4 hour flight they did not have time to speak even once? Come on!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Will100

Just got off an A320 from Marrakech and had the legendary pilot who has made the announcement himself on every flight since he became captain. Great touch, and to be encouraged. He was chuffed to have been mentioned on Flyertalk too.
We had this excellent captain on our flight back from Rhodes last month. Now I'm as cynical as they come, but even I had to admit that this was a really nice touch, it got a lot of engagement from the passengers, including a round of applause when he had finished. And just for a moment, I thought that BA was not just another LCC...

...then the BoB trolley came round and normal service was resumed.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Are you telling me on a 4 hour flight they did not have time to speak even once? Come on!
Yes. There are scenarios in the flight deck when non-essential actions are restricted. Occasionally a system may need constant monitoring or one of the pilots may have started feeling unwell for instance.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Ba921 str-lhr

We've just had the captain do a tannoy announcement from the galley phone because the baggage handler ripped his wing mirror off on the engine.... Taking quite a long time so he's now going down the cabin and speaking to people. Apparently he found the mirror under the engine while doing his walkaround! I suppose he then went looking for a truck that was missing one, somewhat incontrovertible evidence in hand... Lufty engineering now assisting (I am flying from Stuttgart). It was a nice and reassuring touch as all the passengers could see the engine being looked at from the gate.

Last edited by snuffi; Oct 14, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:59 am

Last year i was on Qantas short haul club and the captain came out mid flight greeted everyone in club and offered us further drinks!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
from my recent MLA TR ...
The First Officer was on good form, as he apologised for the slightly late departure “… caused by the late arrival of the inbound aircraft. I don’t know why, and I’m not going to insult your intelligence by making something up.”
Later on he apologised for “… not speaking to you earlier, as we were busy negotiating with ATC.”
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Many people think that there is a conspiracy whenever something goes wrong. I've had a passenger tell me that there was nothing wrong with the aircraft when we had a bird strike - you cannot please all the people all the time. Some like what you do, others think it gimicky.
What did you say to that?
Old May 10, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Earlier this year I was on a AA flight (BA codeshare) LHR - JFK. There was an announcement from the flight deck (not sure if captain or 1st officer) that was almost a full stand-up comedy routine. For example, one of his lines was to ask that everyone keep there arms and legs inside the aircraft at all times! A real joker. If this is done well then I am happy with it as a passenger but if not it can be cringe-worthy.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I personally think the crew's have improved their performance over the tannoy from the cockpit. Only IBERIA pilots leave you wondering what's happening next..
You probably have more IB experience but I think it can be a tad harsh to generalise.

My MAD-HAV sector earlier this year was slightly delayed in departing, and the IB Captain wandered through the J cabin to speak to a number of pax .... seemingly at random .... although a couple of them he appeared to know. He said a very quick hello / apology to me, but not to my friend who was just in front of me (we were both in window seats). I asked him would he please have a few words with her as she had never flown with IB before and would appreciate the welcome .... and he happily did exactly that.
volar likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And multiple times on IB I've had some extremely detailed announcements from the flight deck - including takeoff weight, runway, exact routing, landmarks pointed out, and in the case of the A350 last summer proudly introducing the brand new aircraft.

Can't think of a flight with no announcements from the front, though to be fair most announcements tend to come after take off or mid-flight in case of shorthaul. Any on-ground delays have always had an explanation from the flight deck IME.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos
I recall a similar experience ex LHR I think to NCL last September.. wonder if it was the same chap.. was quite mature very youthful.. early 50's I'd say.. quite handsome and clearly very experienced/relaxed pilot. I remember being very impressed and there was a great rapport between him and the cabin crew.
Just making a correction to one of the earlier posts on this thread
ThatT1Feeling and trooper like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Had three announcements from the front over the years, plus one visit from the Captain in the cabin when flying to MCT in F

- First announcement was about how cold it was going to be in Moscow one January - the Captain appeared at the front of the (then CE) cabin in the 767 and basically said it was going to be brass monkeys and we should put our coats and gloves on before de-planing at the other end. Ended up with lots of animated conversations in the cabin between pax who, until then, had sat in classic business-people silence waiting for departure

- Second announcement was about a tech delay on an A320 - he defused the frustrated atmosphere really well and talked to any passengers who wanted to talk to him

- Third was recently when my flight to MAN was delayed, delayed, delayed then cancelled due to snow at MAN - again really honest and made himself available for questions

And finally, once the captain came into the F cabin to say hello to Mrs TT1F when we were on our way to Muscat. To this day she has no idea why he came to speak to her
Old May 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
I too find the IB announcements very informative, often with a detailed description of weather, what we’ll be passing, etc. They also always seem very transparent about reasons for delays. However I do find they often give more detail in the spanish announcement than the english one so perhaps that accounts for some differing perceptions.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Trfly
They also always seem very transparent about reasons for delays.
Especially out of LHR, they do love any opportunity to blame BA for something or other

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.