Wiki Posts
Search

Pre flight announcement by the captain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Pre flight announcement by the captain

I am on 1308 right now which is waiting to push back. The captain has just walked to the front of the cabin, picked up the handset and made an excellent announcement including weather conditions, flying time, a little humour and bags of personality which went down very well.

I have never seen this before but it was certainly a nice gesture. If anyone is a nervous flyer that will certainly have put them at ease.

What a nice chap!!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Experienced co-pilot doing the flight I suppose.

Some captains have the right personalities for doing this type of announcements (but it is not in their main job description).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:54 am

It's an individual thing, personally I find it slows down the departure and I don't make personal appearances except when there is a problem. Then I will be at the front of the cabin making an announcement. Time permitting I will also walk down the aisle to answer individual questions too
NoTiersForMe, smokie36 and Muttley like this.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
It's always nice to hear the captain of a flight deliver an announcement in a friendly yet authoritative way. It helps break the ice between cabin crew and passengers and between passengers too.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
I've seen this before when flying JetBlue but never on BA. I think it adds a nice touch though.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Seen it on a KLM 747 to NBO but never on BA, or any other airline for that matter. I've seen an FO walk through the cabin on a heavily delayed 320 service ex VIE to explain the reason for the delay (winds at LHR and slot delays etc) which was a nice touch. A friend of mine who was SFO at the time was also once asked by his Captain to speak to a particularly annoying DYKWIA personality (all parties to rename unnamed) on a domestic sector to explain that he could not be upgraded to Club because it didn't exist- heaven knows what that chap makes of new CE
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I was once on a BA flight back in Y to some tourist destination in the US (LAS? MCO?) and there was a woman in her 40s who was completely panicking at the idea of getting into the air. We were a bit delayed at the gate, and so one of the crew went and watched the Captain who talked to the woman for a while and seemed to really calm her down.

Sadly I rarely see those kinds of BA touches nowadays.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Experienced co-pilot doing the flight I suppose.

Some captains have the right personalities for doing this type of announcements (but it is not in their main job description).
I think he is talking about a pre-flight announcement.

There are a couple of Airbus Captains that do this every flight and it does go down well with the customers. A few go to the gate area during a delay and even visit the lounge at outstations, to give a run down on why we are delayed, which also is very appriciated by our customers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
......... personally I find it slows down the departure .....
You're right, it could. On this occasion boarding had completed early and as part of his announcement he explained that we were now just waiting for ATC to give us clearance to push back. Perhaps he wouldn't have taken the time to address us personally had we been delayed.

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I think he is talking about a pre-flight announcement.
Yes, it was pre-flight. All done prior to push back.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:02 am

It's a nice touch although probably a bit impractical on larger aircraft. Even after however many hundred flights i still like to know if i should be expecting a white knuckle rollercoaster or a nice smooth ride.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:21 am

I can’t remember what flight I was on but a while back one of the pilots (not sure if it was the captain) came through economy with a tray of juice and water when most of the cabin was asleep. He even went back to refill when he’d run out, making sure he served the entire cabin. I assume he just wanted to stretch his legs, but it felt like a nice touch.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Which airport was this? LGW? If so it's a regular routine by him. I had it on the way back from MLA..
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:42 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I think the novelty value is half the fun when this happens; I have seen it very few times.

We had a horrid delay coming out of Basel one evening. The Captain and co-pilot came into the lounge to make an announcement and answer questions. Judging by the fast track:normal track ratio on that route, they would have addressed 90% of the passengers in person by coming to the lounge.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
I recall a similar experience ex LHR I think to NCL last September.. wonder if it was the same chap.. was quite mature . early 50's I'd say.. quite handsome and clearly very experienced/relaxed pilot. I remember being very impressed and there was a great rapport between him and the cabin crew.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:47 am

The personal touch from the flight crew and especially the captain is generally greatly appreciated by the cabin crew. It doesn't matter how many times the crew explain things to some people they don't accept it unless it comes from the captain.

Many people think that there is a conspiracy whenever something goes wrong. I've had a passenger tell me that there was nothing wrong with the aircraft when we had a bird strike - you cannot please all the people all the time. Some like what you do, others think it gimicky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.