Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:25 pm
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
    Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    Interesting. Thank you for that piece of intelligence, it would also explain why they were so keen to roll this profile feature now and get status passengers to ensure their details were updated.

It may also help HBOs with not quite the right seat: change the preference and see what happens? Then change it back again after a few days?
    Funnily enough - I had changed/updated my seat preference just before I got allocated my seat on the flight to EDI. Maybe that is the clue!!!

aks120
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
    My profile

Originally Posted by paulieuk
    Update: Having read that 100% complete profiles are now possible without setting a meal preference, I logged in to my BAEC account only to find it still stuck at 96%. It transpired that my seating preference had been lost (since that first HBO booking where we did get seats allocated).

Within minutes of me re-setting it to 'window' preference (and attaining 100% profile complete) I received a notification from MyFlights that my booking had changed, and lo and behold, it was a seat allocation in row 14, the furthest forward available window seat other than the exit row.

So, if my experience applies across the board, and you have an HBO ticket with no seat allocated, try checking your seat preference setting in your BAEC profile and see if that does the trick....
    My profile is 100% and I got 13K on 767 which does not have a window !
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by paulieuk
    Update: Having read that 100% complete profiles are now possible without setting a meal preference, I logged in to my BAEC account only to find it still stuck at 96%. It transpired that my seating preference had been lost (since that first HBO booking where we did get seats allocated).

Within minutes of me re-setting it to 'window' preference (and attaining 100% profile complete) I received a notification from MyFlights that my booking had changed, and lo and behold, it was a seat allocation in row 14, the furthest forward available window seat other than the exit row.

So, if my experience applies across the board, and you have an HBO ticket with no seat allocated, try checking your seat preference setting in your BAEC profile and see if that does the trick....
    Just added my seating preference in my profile. MMB now showing an allocated seat for my upcoming Domestic flight.

Thank you!
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by PIKnic
    My profile is 100% and I got 13K on 767 which does not have a window !
    13K is a window seat pr. Amadeus-definition (aka. seat next to wall where the other side of the wall is outside the aircraft)
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by MSN095
    Just added my seating preference in my profile. MMB now showing an allocated seat for my upcoming Domestic flight.

Thank you!
    Me too! Booked three flights last night, no seats showing this morning...logged in and seat preferences seemed to have reset to none, changed it to Aisle and seats for all my bookings have appeared - pretty decent ones as well, certainly nothing worse than I would have chosen!
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:47 am
    Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
    Interesting - despite setting my seating preferences just last week they had been wiped from my profile. I'll see what happens next time I book BA.

My next 3-4 flights are Easyjet as after the fiasco last week with seats, a delayed flight, another remote stand and missing buses I think that I'll give BA a break until May or so.

Update: Curiosity got the better of me. I booked a BA flight for next week and found that I was indeed issued with a seat now that my seating preferences are (again) set. Great find people!

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Apr 13, 2015 at 4:56 am
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:12 am

Mine were wiped too. I'm sure I'd set them the other week. I think paulieuk has solved the issue.
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
    As another data point, I booked a AMS-LHR flight last night for me (Silver) and Ms Jetstreamer (Bronze). No seats were allocated by BA. However after reading the above, I went to Ms Jetstreamer’s account and noticed that she didn't have a seating preference set. I changed this to window (the same as my preference) and we were immediately assigned 13 A & B on the A321. I think this seat is fine, just a little annoying that someone is in 13C on an otherwise pretty empty seat map. Given a free choice I’d obviously try to avoid this.

Interestingly I then logged back into my account to see that my profile, previously 100% complete was now incomplete as my seating preference had been removed!

Incidentally, 13A & B were the furthest forward available seats. A good strategy therefore might be to remove a seating preference from one’s profile, and insert it back at such a time as the furthest forward seat is a desirable one (perhaps at T-72 hours?) However I concede this is a lot of fiddling to save a few £!
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
    Thanks for that nugget of information! Just updated seating preferences for my daughters for a flight next week, immediately checked their booking and they've been assigned 1B and C on the outbound and 2D and E on the return ^
    Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:42 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    I had to remove our seat preferences today and put them back in, but MrsNWIFlyer and I now have allocated seats for two HBO fares. This is obviously very recent - I'd done this a few days ago when the seating bit of our profiles was deleted, and at that point it had no effect.

Of course, BA still insists in putting me in a window seat and MrsNWI in an aisle, despite our preferences listing exactly the opposite ...

It doesn't much matter on an E90 when we're travelling together, of course, but it really is annoying.
    Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:03 am

Just to add another data point:

LHR-CPH in June; I have silver status, my partner bronze. My pref is aisle, hers is window. We were assigned 11B/C on the way out (exit row), and 14D/E on the way back.

Overall not too shabby - although given the fare paid (>£250 each) it seems ridiculous for BA to be so penny-pinching.
    Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Discus
    13K is a window seat pr. Amadeus-definition (aka. seat next to wall where the other side of the wall is outside the aircraft)
    I will probably be able to see a window from my seat or at least hear other people speaking about the views !

Will the live tail cam make up for no window ?
    Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
    I've got a HBO fare later today and there's something in my bag that will require checking. Not willing to pay £40 or whatever it is for a jar so I'll just try my luck. If it doesnt, I'll ditch it as no major loss. AA did ignore the 50-60 bottles of toiletries in the same bag on a SFO-LAX flight, so who knows ?
    Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC
    I didn't get as up in arms as some people about the Avios changes, but to me this is the ultimate slap in the face.

If Virgin had better options for earning/using on European short-haul I'd leave BA behind for good. As it is I'm looking at LH (though don't want to be stuck with horrible United when I'm in the US)
    Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
    Originally Posted by SCSA
    I didn't get as up in arms as some people about the Avios changes, but to me this is the ultimate slap in the face.
    As I have said before, I just don't see the benefit to BA of this decision. On some of the recent changes I can see a commercial rationale behind the decision (either immediate or longer term), but making a change which costs BA to execute, whilst directly impacting some of your best customers appears to me to be illogical!

Loyalty does take a long time to build and can take a moment to destroy. However, for some reason that I can't logically fathom, most of my flights on BA still seem to have pretty good loads. It's a paradox..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.