Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:03 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
    I just think that this is the big misinterpretation that BA are making. Not in term of what you are saying about value (that, after all, is for BA to decide) but in terms of segmentation.

They are making the mistake that AF made some years ago and is finally admitting to regretting. Thinking that the world is divided into business travellers who always fly J and F, only care about service quality and do not care about cost, and leisure travellers, who always fly on the cheapest possible ticket, only care about cost, and do not care about service quality. They assume that those two prototypes exist, entirely discrete, hermetically separate, and that as a result, affecting one end of your offer has no effect on the other.

Most people I know who travel J/F on a regular basis also travel regularly in discounted Y, and a bad experience on their discounted Y trip annoys them just as much as a bad experience on their F trip. For all practical purposes, they experience a wide range of the different offers that the airline can offer and if an airline says "oh, I love you today, you are travelling F or full fare J, I'll do anything I can to make you happy" and the next day "why are you bothering me? You are travelling HBO so just shut up, take your seat and leave me alone", the interpretation by the passenger will typically be that it had better not count on the airline because he/she is not important to the said airline, only the fare paid on a specific trip is. So segmentation (be it premium/non premium or long haul service/short haul service) has a cost which is highly permeable.

What is more all the happy frequent flyers I know are what you would call "opinion leaders". They will recommend the airline to their partner, their kids, their parents, their friends, and when their mother or their wife or husband come back from the trip and say "actually, you know what, I really didn't like my experience" it affects and offends them as well.

Finally, I can only restate what several of us have been saying throughout. Those thinking of this just as a change to HBO conditions are missing the point from a frequent/very frequent flyer point of view. The message is cumulative and self-reinforcing. Beyond and regardless of any change to HBO conditions, what many of us are commenting on is the progressive but rather radical redefinition of what it means to be a BAEC GGL/GCH/SCH member. The advantages of concentrating your loyalty with the airline, the value proposition in terms of status, and earn/burn ratio between the trips one actually takes and the advantage or awards one actually wants. This has just been very significantly degraded for most of us.

BA may well know what they are doing. They may very well have decided that they do not need loyalty because loyalty obviously as a cost and they may believe that their intensive network and on par product is enough to maintain profitability which they had originally built largely on building strong loyalty. I sincerely hope for them and for those of you who are shareholders that they got this right. My suspicion is that they have not, but only time will tell, and the one thing that is sure (because different airlines have gone through that cycle) is that you lose a loyal customer much faster than you could ever regain him/her should you realise that you have made a mistake after all.
    Excellent post. ^
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    [QUOTE=Paralytic;24451572

I can't see many employers forcing staff to travel HBO if they have overnight stays, but if the tool does not allow it, it ends up time consuming to get an approved exception to what looks like a booking out of policy.[/QUOTE]

I have chatted to a few more people regarding this and It would appear that there are many companies that do insist on HBO fares even for overnights simply because it is the cheapest ticket---and as I have stated in early post this has caused problems for the employees

I find it interesting that when I search on BA for cheapest flights it does not default to the cheapest flight but actually the cheapest flight with checked baggage
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
    I have chatted to a few more people regarding this and It would appear that there are many companies that do insist on HBO fares even for overnights simply because it is the cheapest ticket---and as I have stated in early post this has caused problems for the employees
    Is it that the employers are enforcing HBO fares or that they are enforcing the cheapest fare, which just happens to be HBO? I suspect the latter.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:24 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just think that this is the big misinterpretation that BA are making. Not in term of what you are saying about value (that, after all, is for BA to decide) but in terms of segmentation.
    +1 I think this and your earlier posts are accurate and well expressed.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    Originally Posted by Paralytic
    Is it that the employers are enforcing HBO fares or that they are enforcing the cheapest fare, which just happens to be HBO? I suspect the latter.
    I would agree with you there

I would be happy to see the HBO fares as they currently stand being scrapped
    and seeing HBO as laptop size only
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
    Having read through pretty much all the posts here, there seems to be 3 separate groups of people:

1. People, who usually travel on HBO (though can afford non-HBO fares) and are disappointed at another status perk being taken away from them, since HBO + elite benefits was quite a sweet spot for them.

2. People, who travel on HBO because that's what their company's policy says they must and are miffed about not being able to select a seat, which they could before based on their status.

3. The rest of the crowd who are generally disappointed with continuing shenanigans from BA.

Personally, I have never booked an HBO fare and I doubt that I ever will. The only exception is probably if I am popping over somewhere for a day: there in the morning, back in the evening. And I've only done that once in my life. If I am going somewhere with at least one night's stay involved, I want the choice to take some checked baggage. The seat selection malarkey is less of an issue for me. When selecting a seat in advance, I tend to stray into the dangerous seat-shifting territory anyway.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
    "Caused problems"? Do they pack like this?

(Assuming you're not transporting stuff that can't go in the cabin), if you can't pack for one night away from home in a small bag, something is very, very wrong.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:46 am
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA may well know what they are doing. They may very well have decided that they do not need loyalty because loyalty obviously as a cost and they may believe that their intensive network and on par product is enough to maintain profitability which they had originally built largely on building strong loyalty. I sincerely hope for them and for those of you who are shareholders that they got this right.
    For years BA and other major airlines were able to charge over the odds for air fares because they could. The general public had always accepted air travel was an expensive item to purchase so were none the wiser.
    Then along came the low cost airlines who showed that air travel needn't be expensive and from then on the majors were in trouble. BA and their like had been found out so in order to survive they had to restructure big time. No more lounging about on beaches for days on end for the cabin crew for a start.

Personally I'm quite happy with the way things are now and I suspect the majority of air travellers are as well. Lower fares, adequate products and a decent rewards programme. BA have it spot on I reckon and the others are still playing catch-up. If it wasn't for the mistakes made by the industry during the last century BA would have been in a position to offer a better product.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:52 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

For levity, I'll repeat some wise words to go with the above:

Natalie Keener: I really like my luggage.
    Ryan Bingham: That's exactly what it is, it's luggage. You know how much time you lose by checking in?
    Natalie Keener: I don't know. Five, ten minutes?
    Ryan Bingham: 35 minutes a flight. I travel 270 days a year. That's 157 hours. That makes seven days. You're willing to throw away an entire week on that?
    [Natalie sighs]
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:59 am
    Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
    Originally Posted by Gaza
    Indeed. As an easyJet Plus card holder I get unlimited seat reservations (including exit and row 1) and from mid-March I'm now going to be permitted 1 small laptop bag in addition to my carry-on.
    Does anyone know exactly when this comes into play? I'm going to try Easyjet on a business route for the first time ever, but I can't be bothered to wait for my cabin bag on a Friday afternoon.

I might well end up doing it this coming Friday, as the Easyjet flight looks like £55, whereas as part of a return the BA leg is £360 or a somewhat incredibly £750 sold as a single.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:05 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by HIDDY
    Personally I'm quite happy with the way things are now and I suspect the majority of air travellers are as well. Lower fares, adequate products and a decent rewards programme. BA have it spot on I reckon and the others are still playing catch-up. If it wasn't for the mistakes made by the industry during the last century BA would have been in a position to offer a better product.
    Well there are two possibilities: either the way things are now is right and BA have it spot on -- in which case all the new changes they are introducing take them away from the spot; or the way things will be after all those changes will be spot on -- in which case what BA is currently offering must be wrong. Both can't be true, and the "Before 2015 BA" and "After 2015 BA" will clearly be very different.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
    For years BA and other major airlines were able to charge over the odds for air fares because they could. The general public had always accepted air travel was an expensive item to purchase so were none the wiser.
    Then along came the low cost airlines who showed that air travel needn't be expensive and from then on the majors were in trouble. BA and their like had been found out so in order to survive they had to restructure big time. No more lounging about on beaches for days on end for the cabin crew for a start.
    You are absolutely right and nobody is saying otherwise: the low cost competition has changed the competitive landscape thoroughly and legacy carriers could not have possibly remained competitive if they had not adapted their offer.

Things don't stop here however. An equally true fact is that legacy carriers cannot possibly be fully on par with low cost airlines because their cost structure is higher:

- Even without the "lounging around on the beach" for crews, salary costs are much higher for BA than they are for U2 or FR.

- Because legacy carriers need to feed a long haul network, they have to keep feeder routes which may be loss making on their own, but which closure would jeopardise the more profitable long haul network.

- For the same long haul logic reason, legacy carriers need to keep business cabins which are actually very expensive not least because they require that the airline keeps more staff onboard its plane (personnel remain the most expensive elastic aspect of running an airline).

All this means that even if they stop giving you free water, free seat selection or free hold luggage, neither their costs nor their fares can ever be as competitive as those of their low cost competitors (notwithstanding occasional anecdotal cases where low cost airline X will be more expensive than legacy carrier Y on a specific day/time/route combination).

This means that if a legacy airline wants a customer to choose them (regardless of fare type), they need to offer a service proposition which justifies people paying more than on low cost. If they do not and offer a service which is hardly different from that of their low cost competitors - they lose the game, as simple as that. That is what BMI and Aer Lingus were/have been experiencing over recent years.

Another way to phrase that, is that considering that it cannot lower its costs as much as competitors, legacy carriers such as BA absolutely must find creative way of offering the best possible product for a given cost.

This is where the HBO/status privilege change is particularly crucial. Letting status holders pick their seat has an exact cost of zero for the airline but offers significant value for the passengers which they would not get on an equivalent fare on low cost competitors. BA are withdrawing that additional value without in any way lowering their own costs.

This is where the situation is particularly striking. BA are not introducing this change because of a reaction to external competition but because of internal competition between their own HBO fare and their own luggage inclusive fares. It means that they adapt (in this particular case downgrade) a product not to be more competitive against the very rivals that you describe but to artificially create more difference between two of their own fare offers.

That to me can never be right precisely because of the reason that you mention: low cost competitors can only be the winners if BA makes its own product less competitive vis-à-vis its deadly rivals only to sort out a problem of internal balance between different fare types. It is simply wrong.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
    Does anyone know exactly when this comes into play? I'm going to try Easyjet on a business route for the first time ever, but I can't be bothered to wait for my cabin bag on a Friday afternoon.

I might well end up doing it this coming Friday, as the Easyjet flight looks like £55, whereas as part of a return the BA leg is £360 or a somewhat incredibly £750 sold as a single.
    2nd cabin bag on easyjet effective 19 March if you have Plus card, extra legroom or upfront seats or on Flexifare. They also allow access to speedy boarding.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by techie
    Having read through pretty much all the posts here, there seems to be 3 separate groups of people:

1. People, who usually travel on HBO (though can afford non-HBO fares) and are disappointed at another status perk being taken away from them, since HBO + elite benefits was quite a sweet spot for them.

2. People, who travel on HBO because that's what their company's policy says they must and are miffed about not being able to select a seat, which they could before based on their status.

3. The rest of the crowd who are generally disappointed with continuing shenanigans from BA.

Personally, I have never booked an HBO fare and I doubt that I ever will. The only exception is probably if I am popping over somewhere for a day: there in the morning, back in the evening. And I've only done that once in my life. If I am going somewhere with at least one night's stay involved, I want the choice to take some checked baggage. The seat selection malarkey is less of an issue for me. When selecting a seat in advance, I tend to stray into the dangerous seat-shifting territory anyway.
    I tend to agree, and like you, I'll hardly take an HBO fare since most of my trips are for 5 or more days when I like the option of being able to check baggage.

I was concerned when the HBO fares were introduced because I was sure it would cause baggage problems on board, and it has. It has also almost certainly cost BA revenue, although why they can't simply increase fares by, say, 10 GBP/EUR/USD to offset that I do not know.

What irks me is the trend to a transactional culture. BA is merely following other airlines in doing this and it alienates the customer base enormously.

The next step will be eradication of other perks on cheaper tickets along with the ineligibility of cheaper fare buckets for op-up's, meaning that they will have the same stance as Lufthansa, upgrading a full-fare once-per-year Y passenger over a 150 flight-per-year frequent traveller on a cheaper ticket.

That's why my 300,000 mile per year Lufthansa habit became a high-TP BA habit.

I wonder if BA realise that their current success is based on exactly these steps being made previously by the competition they now seek to emulate.

It's annoying, because generally I love BA crews and the atmosphere on board. but I find myself flying more *A lately and see no point putting up with transfers at LHR when there is no longer an up side to it.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
    Originally Posted by BERbound
    After mulling it over for a day , I've came to the conclusion this is an irritating decision and a step too far. My BA Amex was cancelled today and I've switched over to Amex gold.

I've had done great trips on BA, however I'm finding the new Shorthaul product cramped , and with the avios devaluation , they won't be my airline of choice anymore. They have tipped the scales in their competitors favour.
    My alternative to flying BA is actually staying at home. I go on holiday too much anyway. Or failing which, taking the Eurostar which is adding destinations, cheaper, allows me to take on my bottle of Coke, and has phone service on board.
    Originally Posted by simons1
    Airlines are in business to make money, not to fly lots of frequent flyers around for little or no return.
    Indeed.
    Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
    It seems exceptionally unlikely that a pricing decision would be made for anything but commercial reasons.

Customer segmentation and profitability analysis is at the core of BA's offering and pricing. It's not that they're checking whether Jim Smith is profitable or not, but that people are divided into behavioural groups and the offering is configured around the ones they would like more or less of - and how to change their behaviours.
    Quite. Even without the consent given by being an executive club member, processing aggregated data having removed personal identifiable information is outside the scope of the Data Protection Act.
    Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
    Originally Posted by shorthauldad
    "Caused problems"? Do they pack like this?

(Assuming you're not transporting stuff that can't go in the cabin), if you can't pack for one night away from home in a small bag, something is very, very wrong.
    You are totally right. My dear wife who packs our bags when travelling tells me we can do a 9 nights trip in the winter or a 14 nights trip in the summer with HBO. That's way better than finding ourselves abroad without the baggage that misteriously was sent to Rio instead of Shanghai or Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.