Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yellow tags at gate are unnecessary and demeaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:22 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold

I just don't get them. I travel with a pretty standard combination of Tumi roll-aboard and laptop bag which causes no problems anywhere (except one-bag low costs). But the last few times out of LHR domestic, connecting from paid long haul F, it's been "Sir, you need to put your bag in the sizer to check it fits". It fits. Then, as if staff member is furious bag has fit, a yellow tag is angrily attached to laptop bag "This bag NEEDS to go under the seat in front of your. You're NOT allowed to put it in the overhead".

The whole reason I, and presumably most others, travel with laptop bags is exactly to put them under the seat in front for easy access. I've got no interest in putting an expensive laptop in the overhead for others to jam their suitcases up against it (but I'm sure those that want to do this simply remove the yellow tags)

We all know there are problems with the amount of hand baggage on domestics but a better, long-term solution to this nonsense would be to return to a small domestic J cabin so the excellent premium experience that you usually get in long-haul F/J can continue all the way to your destination. Currently BA usually provide a flawless long haul premium experience, then sour the whole thing at the end with these Ryanair style gate tactics. Such a shame.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Shouldn't this be in the DYKWIA thread?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Sometimes perhaps unnecessary (exit row etc), but totally correct according to current policy, which is enforced very inconsistently. Not sure about demeaning, it's only a tag. This issue isn't just on domestic, already a couple of other threads running on this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...front-you.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-baggage.html
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
And breath, not like you to rant.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: ABBA
Oh good, a cabin baggage thread.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
The BA baggage policy stinks. I check my wheeled case in specifically so that I can use the space that it would have taken to put my laptop bag in the overhead locker - obviously my laptop bag takes far less space than a wheeled case.

However, with the new haphazard tagging policy, even though I check one bag in, my laptop bag gets a yellow tag so I am now penalised even further for being considerate and checking my main bag in.

I may as well take my wheeled case into the cabin from next week.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No it doesn't only the second bag is tagged so your laptop bag can go in the overhead locker.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No it doesn't only the second bag is tagged so your laptop bag can go in the overhead locker.
Until some buffoon comes along with an oversize carry on and tries to ram it in the locker, mangling your laptop in the process.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:40 am

My 1st and only bag was tagged. A small shoulder handbag. I removed the tag as I walked to the plane. I did point out that I only had 1 bag and the response was that BA said that all handbags had to be tagged (LBA)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
we all know that it is supposed to be second bag only which is tagged

but from what I have heard there seems to be occasions where people with just the one bag for the cabin are getting yellowed tagged

99% of the time I check a bag and would point blank refuse to put my laptop bag under my seat(unless that is where I wanted it) it is a laptop / document type bag
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaz

We all know there are problems with the amount of hand baggage on domestics but a better, long-term solution to this nonsense would be to return to a small domestic J cabin
I may well have missed something over the years but I don't ever remember domestic flights having a separate 'J cabin'.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I usually travel with just one bag and it's often tagged. Stupid but no-one at BA check in desks seems to actually understand the rules.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I may well have missed something over the years but I don't ever remember domestic flights having a separate 'J cabin'.
It's all J

Ryanair market a business product on UK domestic flights. So do BA. I'm not sure what the difference is other than £400 (BA flex return on Monday Glasgow-London: £590. Ryanair: £189)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Inconsistency? BA? Surely not.

Except when it comes to bean-counter cost- (and product-) cutting of course.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I only ever carry one bag (a fairly small laptop bag) on board as I check my much larger wheeled case into the hold. I do this for the express purpose of carrying the minimum amount of items on board so as not to take up much space in the overhead locker and also to ensure that I can put my tiny laptop bag into the overhead locker.

This is how I've travelled with BA for well over two decades on business.

As of yesterday (NCL-LHR), my single carry-on bag was yellow-tagged so that I had to put it under the seat in front of me.

Hence, I may as well now start to take my (cabin-legal) wheeled case on board too as that will be green-tagged and my laptop bag will continue to be yellow-tagged.

Why should I take a hit for being considerate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.