Wiki Posts
Search

Ex EU equivalent for a RTW ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ex EU equivalent for a RTW ticket

Looking to travel from London Miami LA HK BKK London.

Have a premium economy budget but want to travel in business which I have managed to do with the knowledge of ex EU I have learned from FT.

Where would one start ?

I used the one world RTW booking tool for economy tickets and it was priced at 3600 although this did include WTP on the first leg and lax to hKG.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:20 pm
Suspended

There is price parity in the majority of ex-EU markets for OW RTW tickets. You might like to consult the sages here.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CAI or JNB. NRT is also cheap.

There are no bargains within the EU, although LON is stand out expensive.

Unlike other tickets, the ticket must be issued by a sales office in the country of departure, or the higher fare of the country of issue or country of departure will apply. (Except when both countries are in the EU where this would be illegal.)

In practise this means you need to contact a local travel agent in CAI or a local airline ticketing desk. AA maintains ticketing desks (via their agents) in CAI and JNB. You can call the AA RTW desk in the USA to get the PNR created but payment must be made to the local ticketing desk.

With taxes and fees it will probably be possible to get a DONE3 from CAI for about 4000.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Particularly for what you want, some recent changes to the xONEx rulesheet mean that you cannot now do the JNB-LHR-<RTW>-LHR-JNB that used to be so lovely. You must now go via the Middle East or Asia one way or the other, or not use South Africa in your Africa-LHR-<RTW>-LHR-Africa run.

So your itinerary will change a lot if you use the ex-JNB ticket. For something closer to your current itinerary and a cost saving, either do ex-CAI which you can do CAI-LHR-<RTW>-LHR-CAI on, or do ex-Japan and go with something closer to your original routing, like HND-HKG-BKK-LHR-MIA-LAX-NRT-HND.

Note you get 16 segments but cannot pass through your starting point, so you can do some side trips from LHR, HKG, LAX, MIA, or NRT for example. It is probably valid (off the top of my head) to do something like:

NRT-HKG-HND-ICN-HND-SIN-HKG-BKK-LHR-MCT-LHR-LIS-LHR-MIA-LAX-NRT

Head over to the Oneworld forum and read up on the rules and hints and see some helpful people there (or I may be able to help via PM).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
"In practise this means you need to contact a local travel agent in CAI or a local airline ticketing desk. AA maintains ticketing desks (via their agents) in CAI and JNB. You can call the AA RTW desk in the USA to get the PNR created but payment must be made to the local ticketing desk."

I start my RTWs (business at $7,000 and first at $10,000) from Tokyo and I just book them on the Oneworld website. Depending on whether the first flight is on CX or JL, either CX or AA manage the whole booking. I far prefer CX doing it as AA are almost completely unresponsive (except the ladies in AA's HK office, who are very helpful). I've never had to use a TA, just the Oneworld website (it may have changed since I last did this in November of course). Of course Tokyo isn't going to work for our poster here but I just wonder if you can buy any RTW ticket on Oneworld.com.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
"In practise this means you need to contact a local travel agent in CAI or a local airline ticketing desk. AA maintains ticketing desks (via their agents) in CAI and JNB. You can call the AA RTW desk in the USA to get the PNR created but payment must be made to the local ticketing desk."

I start my RTWs (business at $7,000 and first at $10,000) from Tokyo and I just book them on the Oneworld website. Depending on whether the first flight is on CX or JL, either CX or AA manage the whole booking. I far prefer CX doing it as AA are almost completely unresponsive (except the ladies in AA's HK office, who are very helpful). I've never had to use a TA, just the Oneworld website (it may have changed since I last did this in November of course). Of course Tokyo isn't going to work for our poster here but I just wonder if you can buy any RTW ticket on Oneworld.com.
Yes you can do this, good point!

http://RTW.oneworld.com

But, the website has a lot of bugs. if your first flight is with QR, for instance, well you are out of luck. If you want US sectors, many aren't loaded.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:19 am

The last time I did a RTW I booked this...

http://www.worldspantravel.co.uk/qan..._the_world.htm

7 stops, 29,000 miles and you start in the UK.

J = 4k + tax

F = 6k + tax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.