FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

Jed Aug 1, 2019 11:36 am

Originally Posted by rc4566 (Post 31367495)
BA lounge has just reopened. Will retry CX again in a bit.

Hopefully you should be OK now that it is past the departure time of CX 250.

KeaneJohn Aug 1, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31367431)
The CX F dining area service declines noticeably when it's very busy, in particular around the times of CX flight departures. I greatly enjoy my visits before BA short haul flights, but ironically the experience is not so great if you're actually flying CX F and try to order food in the lounge an hour or two before the flight. Having said that, it's still easily my favourite lounge in T3 (although it's been a couple of years since I've been in the VS Clubhouse).

I actually found it was best when it was rammed on the day of the Flyertalk Gibraltar do. Service was prompt and efficient. Seems to me it’s worse when it’s empty.

flyuk Aug 2, 2019 12:41 am

Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire (Post 31350435)
I searched high and low for a comparable chilli sauce/oil in the UK before finally finding it at... Tesco. I think it's exactly the same brand Lee Kum Kee, made in Hong Kong, Chiu Chow Chilli Oil

It's more likely to be Laoganma crispy chilli oil, that's a lot more popular in China and Hong Kong. I can't really tell the difference, but my Cantonese girlfriend and her family would probably kill and disown me for saying that.

Jet Ranger Aug 2, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by rc4566 (Post 31367495)
BA lounge has just reopened. Will retry CX again in a bit.

BA GF is closed again right now. CX First lounge very busy compared to normal for this time of day....

Steve_ZA Aug 2, 2019 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger (Post 31370113)
BA GF is closed again right now. CX First lounge very busy compared to normal for this time of day....

I'm guessing that a reasonable number of the regular GF inhabitants may not have know that other lounges were available. Might have an impact on future numbers in the CX lounge.

subject2load Aug 2, 2019 7:15 am

@Steve_ZA - I see this as a genuine concern.

In the early days of the newly-opened CX lounge, it had all the feeling of a haven of exclusivity, largely because its was not so widely known outside the immediate circle of CX passengers. Word soon got around of course (here & elsewhere), footfall gradually increased ..... and the secret was out.

The level of awareness generated by incidents such as this temporary closure of the BA lounge does not augur well in the longer term !

Jed Aug 2, 2019 7:59 am

I would hope the majority that those ‘sent’ from BA GF to CX F just assume that it was a one off special arrangement due to the closure of BA GF and hence going forward, will keep going back to GF where they need to be. The agents yesterday were suggesting the CX lounge as an alternative due to the closure of the GF

muggle Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am

OW T3 lounge breakfast options?

I’m flying out of T3 Saturday morning (ET) and want to get breakfast in the lounge...I’m aware general consensus is Cathy is best for food in daytime but I’m not so keen on Asian breakfasts...

Which is the best OW lounge as a gold?

thanks so much

TeflonMan Aug 22, 2019 9:07 am

The Cathay lounge has different breakfast options (including a Full English, if you must). I personally would not consider any of the other lounges.

Globaliser Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by muggle (Post 31443965)
I’m flying out of T3 Saturday morning (ET) and want to get breakfast in the lounge...I’m aware general consensus is Cathy is best for food in daytime but I’m not so keen on Asian breakfasts...

Which is the best OW lounge as a gold?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ld-lounge.html has a number of posts about breakfast.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31443988)

I will highlight post 291 which has a photographic comparison of breakfast with all the lounges for Golds / Emeralds / First.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29707819

muggle Aug 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks all

CMK10 Aug 25, 2019 1:24 pm

I actually like going to the BA GF Lounge for breakfast. I like having lots of brown sauce, streaky bacon and scrambled eggs on toast as well as the champagne and coffee offerings they have there.

KARFA Aug 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 31455467)
I actually like going to the BA GF Lounge for breakfast. I like having lots of brown sauce, streaky bacon and scrambled eggs on toast as well as the champagne and coffee offerings they have there.

i thought the ba lounge was back bacon? The thought of streaky bacon in an English breakfast is too upsetting!

gliderpilot Aug 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 31455467)

I believe a place exists in the terminal. It’s called Wetherspoons....

CMK10 Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31455719)

i thought the ba lounge was back bacon? The thought of streaky bacon in an English breakfast is too upsetting!

You're most likely right, I'm a dumb Yank so I don't know the difference :D

parklife Aug 30, 2019 2:19 am

Had a T3 flight to Miami at the beginning of August so decide to check out the lounge offerings with the wife and 2 children. We had breakfast at the hotel so food wasn't our top priority.

Popped into AA first - kids loved the sweet station so got a couple of bags of sweets, and a couple of bottles of water. Food didn't look great!

Qantas lounge next up - extremely quiet, food looked a lot better than AA, and the family liked it. We actually ended up staying here. Nice snacks available - tea and scones went down a treat. Had a light lunch which was pretty good as well. Nice Sauvignon Blanc as well, and the sparkling wine was nice.

I did pop into the Cathay lounge with the kids, just to have a look. Kids grabbed a cookie, which they both loved. Pretty quiet in here as well, although didn't seem as cosy as the Qantas lounge.

Didn't even bother with BA!!

drvannostren Aug 31, 2019 6:11 am

So I'm not 100% sure this is the thread I should be posting in, but I searched around and looked for a newbie thread didn't see one.

Quick info, not a BA flyer, not a Biz/First flyer, so I'm sure my expectations are lower than most lol. Flying OTP-LHR (T5 arrival) eta 1010 in cheapo Y on one ticket. Then taking my first ever BA F flight LHR-YVR (T3 departure according to BA emails) departing 1730. I have NO CLUE what lounge(s) to try out. I peeped the oneworld lounges pages and there was way too many options. I booked a long connection purposely because I'm unprotected and also because I wanted the "full BA First experience". But I don't wanna be spending all my time in the BA First lounge if the CX one is way better, or AA etc. I also don't really know the difference between like the Concorde room and the First lounge.

Any advice folks? I'm gonna wanna have a lunch, drinks and anything else I can avail myself of that's worth the experience. I also really prefer having a seating option where I can sit at a desk or place to setup my laptop, nothing bothers me more than the lounges that have only seats with tables at knee height.

I've liked the AC, UA and SQ lounges all at LHR, but I purposely bought F flying LHR-YVR to get that full BA experience. Bought PY on the way back as YVR is my home airport and I don't totally care about the lounge and didn't wanna pay up to Club World, though I did wanna try that product.

The _Banking_Scot Aug 31, 2019 6:36 am

Hi.

Just to advise that there is no Concorde Room lounge at t3 it is only at t5 but being in F you can try all the F lounges ie cathay ba and American as well as their business lounges

I like the cathay first dining. There is also a dining room in the ba galleries first lounge.

For working on your laptop the business bureau in the cathay business lounge might be useful

Regards

Tbs

CountOfTuscany1 Aug 31, 2019 11:34 am

I'd recommend Cathay, given the relaxed atmosphere and private dining room. Additionally if you want a shower use them there (I seem to recall Aesop amenities?). Even though it isn't a dedicated First lounge, I'd also head over to Qantas...especially so if you like a gin & tonic.

St Elmos Fire Sep 5, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by flyuk (Post 31369683)
It's more likely to be Laoganma crispy chilli oil, that's a lot more popular in China and Hong Kong. I can't really tell the difference, but my Cantonese girlfriend and her family would probably kill and disown me for saying that.

Courtesy of Amazon Groceries I've now tried both, Cathay's is definitely Chiu Chow Chilli Oil rather than Laoganma crispy chilli oil, but the latter is equally delicious albeit nowhere near as hot, much crispier and with the unwelcome inclusion of fermented soy beans!

LCYBOY Sep 12, 2019 8:06 am

OW Lounge T3 breakfast

Have an early AA flight to ORD in the next week -- what's the best OW lounge at T3 for breakfast offering ? Thanks

ENTP Sep 12, 2019 8:09 am

Do you have access to the F lounges or just J?
For J it would be CX (buffet) or QF (a la carte, though not that extensive)
For F it would be CX (restaurant), AA (a la carte) or BA (half-decent British buffet fry up, plus some a la carte options)
The distinction at breakfast is less obvious than later in the day, where CX and QF win hands-down

KARFA Sep 12, 2019 8:11 am

This thread should answer all your questions https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ld-lounge.html

In particular look at the wiki for the link to breakfast options.

YacozA Sep 12, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by LCYBOY (Post 31517345)
Have an early AA flight to ORD in the next week -- what's the best OW lounge at T3 for breakfast offering ? Thanks

In mornings at T3 I generally go: BA F for the fry-up; then to QF at opening to get a scone and coffee.

Very different from an afternoon / evening departure.

windowontheAside Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am

I actually like the AA breakfasts - cooked to order with great service. But depends what you want for breakfast.

cameramaker Sep 12, 2019 11:10 am

CX have quite an extensive selection and REAL eggs not the powdery mush which BA serve

lavar56 Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm

What is the best bet for breakfast in T3 for vegans?
OWE so can access the F lounges.

Steve_ZA Sep 13, 2019 3:05 am

Originally Posted by lavar56 (Post 31519140)
What is the best bet for breakfast in T3 for vegans?
OWE so can access the F lounges.

I'm normally in the CX lounge for breakfast and other than fruit I don't think any menu item is vegan. You could probably ask for them to make something up specially though.

wilsnunn Sep 16, 2019 6:58 am

Building on this recent breakfast discussion, which lounge is best for breakfast for us mere Silver card holders?

CMK10 Sep 30, 2019 9:27 am

I had two flights in two days from T3 last week and here's where I went:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Lo...IMG_9123-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Lo...IMG_9125-L.jpg

BA Galleries First. I was there from 5:30 to 6:15 AM Saturday morning and was one of four total people there. It was a glorious place to be when it's all quiet. Food was the usual full English breakfast which I genuinely enjoy here.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Lo...IMG_9193-L.jpg

AA International F. I was here from 10:30 to 11 AM Sunday morning and it was pretty crowded. The lack of windows makes it feel a little claustrophobic too. Their breakfast was a smaller version of BA's. Also there were employees standing near the liquor insisting they had to pour drinks for the guests.

KARFA Oct 11, 2019 12:25 pm

October CX f menus in case anyone needs them

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...32956f330.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e65ff7810.jpeg

Physci Oct 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31617865)

Great timing - will be there tomorrow

Crismyth Oct 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I see the CX lounge is recommended as best at T3 but looking at that menu every dish contains gluten. My wife is a celiac, so unfortunally can't have any of that food.
Is there anybody here who is a celiac or travels with one that can share there experiences of eating at he T3 lounges, we are traveling in F so have acces to first dining?

spanners Oct 12, 2019 1:24 am

CX F Lounge

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31617865)

Anyone got the current F lounge breakfast menus?

ratechaser Oct 12, 2019 11:29 am

So I've finally got a T3 CW flight booked, although not till next August, and the whole family is going to be in tow.

Which means I need to think about how to persuade Mrs RC and the daughters that a lounge crawl is an essential start to the holiday. I've not yet tried either the Qantas or AA offerings, and would be good to get a chance to sample all of them in one go...

(she thinks I'm obsessive about lounges already, I have my work cut out. Worst case I may have to settle for noodles and champagne...)

TGLoyalty Oct 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Having visited both the CX F and J lounges I actually think I prefer the J lounge.

Yet to try the Qantas and can hopefully get in there soon. Lots of BA T3 5 movements in the winter schedule but fingers crossed I can make it work.

Reetmafreen Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 31620920)
So I've finally got a T3 CW flight booked, although not till next August, and the whole family is going to be in tow.

Which means I need to think about how to persuade Mrs RC and the daughters that a lounge crawl is an essential start to the holiday. I've not yet tried either the Qantas or AA offerings, and would be good to get a chance to sample all of them in one go...

(she thinks I'm obsessive about lounges already, I have my work cut out. Worst case I may have to settle for noodles and champagne...)

I would spend more time in the QANTAS lounge vs. the AA lounge. I usually only pop into the Admirals Club on the way to the gate to grab a bag or two of the takeaway candy for the flight.

ratechaser Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen (Post 31621798)
I would spend more time in the QANTAS lounge vs. the AA lounge. I usually only pop into the Admirals Club on the way to the gate to grab a bag or two of the takeaway candy for the flight.

Thanks. I've certainly read less positive views on the AA lounge, although in the spirit of fairness, I feel that I should give each one a good try :cool:

Qantas would have been my fallback anyway if I hadn't upgraded from WTP - as I understand they let kids in on the basis of my OWS status, without counting them as guests (although a 17 and 14 year old might really be stretching that point...)

I think this wiki probably needs an 'optimal crawl strategy' included. So there's the challenge - say 2 hours total, around lunch time... how would people juggle that? And you have to visit all 4!

TWCLAM Oct 13, 2019 2:18 am

ratechaser Mrs Clam was the same about both lounge runs and the whole chasing status in the first place when we began flying BA last May. Now I can't get her to turn right on an airplane for love nor money and if we fly out of LHR ( LGW is our home airport) her first question is "is it out of T3 so I can use the CX lounge?!"

At least from my own experience once done then those who are sceptical soon change their minds. We actually just booked a trip to Zagreb and she suggested a night in a hotel up there the night before so we could do a lounge run which is something she scoffed at last year. We're Silvers so our own experience is only with the business class lounges but honestly I think the QF lounge is woefully underrated and a great place to be. The food is in point, the service is exemplary and if you like gin well you're definitely in for a treat! As with others the AA lounge is one that I did on my 1st T3 LR simply to tick it off the list but I find the entire place to be drab, uninspiring and just meh all round. Reetmafreen is right about snagging a couple bags of candy for the flight though and the showers are okay. I can't nail down a favourite between QF & CX but the better half is unequivocal about CX being the king of them all although she's not such a fan of coffee or gin as I am. The only positive that stands out for the T3 BA Club lounge is that it seems easier to get a glass of bubbles compared to T5 and they don't look at you like you've just slapped their saintly grandmother for asking for the stuff.