LBA cancellations during winter months?

Old Feb 2, 15, 1:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco.
Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Posts: 1,594
LBA cancellations during winter months?

Hello,

I wanted to ask if LBA has frequent cancellations due to bad weather during winter months?

I have a booking for the last flight of the day Mid December this year ( connecting from a TATL flight) to LBA and it would be really bad news if the flight were cancelled.

If any regular flyers of the LHR-LBA route care to share their thoughts it would be much appreciated.

I could take the train to Leeds as the arrival at LHR that day is around 2:15pm so time to get to Kings Cross.

Thanks for any replies^
tattikat2 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:02 pm
  #2  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,654
Nope. I have had more cancellations due to weather conditions at LHR than I have due to weather conditions at LBA.

See here for the last few weeks of operation.

http://www.ftdashboard.net/dest/lba.htm

The one or two days with issues have very high winds across the UK and all airports were affected.
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:12 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco.
Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Nope. I have had more cancellations due to weather conditions at LHR than I have due to weather conditions at LBA.

See here for the last few weeks of operation.

http://www.ftdashboard.net/dest/lba.htm

The one or two days with issues have very high winds across the UK and all airports were affected.
Thank you for your reply KARFA

I know its a difficult question to answer as it's all about the weather and god knows, that's hard to predict even for the professionals

Thanks again.
tattikat2 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:16 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,654
How long do you have between arriving at LHR and departing if you book from LBA?
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:20 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco.
Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
How long do you have between arriving at LHR and departing if you book from LBA?
Hello KARFA,

My flight arrives at LHR at 14:15 ish and my continuing flight to LBA departs at 19:10.

I hope this is what you were asking.
tattikat2 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:28 pm
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,654
Yes, I was trying to see how long your connection time was. With 5hrs between the flights you have plenty padding so you can even afford to arrive a few hours late and not worry. I would only start to worry if the LBA flight was 4hrs late that day. 10-30 minutes delays at LHR are usual but 4hr ones are not.

In case you have not done a T5 DOM-INT connection before, when you arrive at T5 there is just a bp check and you are up the escalator and straight in to the departure area. There is no security check at T5 when arrivng on a domestic flight. From stepping off the aircraft this process takes all of 5 minutes if that.
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:38 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco.
Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Yes, I was trying to see how long your connection time was. With 5hrs between the flights you have plenty padding so you can even afford to arrive a few hours late and not worry. I would only start to worry if the LBA flight was 4hrs late that day. 10-30 minutes delays at LHR are usual but 4hr ones are not.

In case you have not done a T5 DOM-INT connection before, when you arrive at T5 there is just a bp check and you are up the escalator and straight in to the departure area. There is no security check at T5 when arrivng on a domestic flight. From stepping off the aircraft this process takes all of 5 minutes if that.
Hello KARFA,
My Flight is International to a domestic flight (XXX-LHR-LBA).
Not a domestic to International.

My concern wasn't that my inbound flight may be late.
Rather it's the fact that there is only 1 flight to LBA that day after I land and that if it was cancelled due to winter bad weather that I would be screwed!

Thanks for taking the time to explain the connection process^
tattikat2 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 15, 2:45 pm
  #8  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,654
Originally Posted by tattikat2 View Post
Hello KARFA,
My Flight is International to a domestic flight (XXX-LHR-LBA).
Not a domestic to International.

My concern wasn't that my inbound flight may be late.
Rather it's the fact that there is only 1 flight to LBA that day after I land and that if it was cancelled due to winter bad weather that I would be screwed!

Thanks for taking the time to explain the connection process^
Ah, ok. Well a bit different for INT-DOM as you will have to go through security. If the queues for UK connections look long, and you can see folks queuing behind for the escalators up to north security you can go via the arrival route so egates which are often quicker, down through the baggage hall to landside, up to check in, and through south security. However, since you have a long connection time then it isn't really a problem either way.
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 15, 3:34 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 4,802
I know you will be displeased KARFA for saying this but having being bored stiff waiting for 5 1/2 hours for the evening flight last year, I would rather take the train and get home earlier. More of an advantage to myself getting back to Hull, but still less time to Leeds.
kanderson1965 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 15, 4:06 pm
  #10  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,654
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
I know you will be displeased KARFA for saying this but having being bored stiff waiting for 5 1/2 hours for the evening flight last year, I would rather take the train and get home earlier. More of an advantage to myself getting back to Hull, but still less time to Leeds.
For me with a 5.5 hr connection the train route would be fairly marginal in terms of time saving. Also whilst waiting at T5 I can have a few drinks and something to eat. I suppose it helps that I am 20-30 minutes from LBA. Getting to Hull from LBA is a long drive (I do home to Goole every day which is only half way and that is long enough) so I can imagine the train is better. LBA has long suffered from crap transport connections being nowhere near a motorway.
KARFA is online now  
Old Feb 2, 15, 4:06 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,819
Originally Posted by tattikat2 View Post
Hello,

I wanted to ask if LBA has frequent cancellations due to bad weather during winter months?

I have a booking for the last flight of the day Mid December this year ( connecting from a TATL flight) to LBA and it would be really bad news if the flight were cancelled.

If any regular flyers of the LHR-LBA route care to share their thoughts it would be much appreciated.

I could take the train to Leeds as the arrival at LHR that day is around 2:15pm so time to get to Kings Cross.

Thanks for any replies^
You certainly plan in advance.

LBA does have problems with fog. This should not really affect your service because your flight to LBA will be operated by whichever aircraft is spare at the time, not necessarily the one coming back from LBA. So unless LBA airport is closed or there is major disruption on the network, it shouldn't matter what is going on elsewhere.

It would be faster to go via KGX though. Not that the trains are immune from delays or cancellations.

Finally BA does shift around the domestic timetables a lot in the winter so you may see your flight move around between now and then.
Calchas is offline  
Old Feb 3, 15, 4:49 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Posts: 547
Your biggest risk is in fact the removal of the LBA route prior to December 2015 because of light loads. (Apologies for stirring this with our LBA fans).
Gold77 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 15, 4:52 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Posts: 5,695
Originally Posted by Gold77 View Post
Your biggest risk is in fact the removal of the LBA route prior to December 2015 because of light loads. (Apologies for stirring this with our LBA fans).


Hopefully they start serving somewhere even more frivolous... Newquay or Humberside anyone?

Just kidding!
paul4040 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 15, 4:52 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Posts: 1,251
Originally Posted by Gold77 View Post
Your biggest risk is in fact the removal of the LBA route prior to December 2015 because of light loads. (Apologies for stirring this with our LBA fans).
I'll take that wooden spoon off you!
BLHD is offline  
Old Feb 3, 15, 5:04 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 4,802
Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post


Hopefully they start serving somewhere even more frivolous... Newquay or Humberside anyone?

Just kidding!
CAX, (when they IAG aquire EI) via Aer Lingus Regional franchisee Stobart Air?
kanderson1965 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: