Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Remember that the previous changes significantly eroded the value of Gold so this could be seen as a reversion to the mean values of both cards.
A friend of mine said yesterday he thought GGL was being devalued by these changes, as the 'power' of Jokers is reduced as general J redemption availability increases from its prior absent low levels
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
A friend of mine said yesterday he thought GGL was being devalued by these changes, as the 'power' of Jokers is reduced as general J redemption availability increases from its prior absent low levels
That's a bit of an odd interpretation. Gold value has been increased for sure but the power of the joker to release redemption space will still be a very valuable GGL benefit.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Marginally yes. However for someone who doesn't book holidays 355 days out the Joker is still a very powerful tool. Decide in December you have had enough cold and want to spend NYE on the beach? A joker will help but I doubt any of the 9million seats will be left.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:34 am

Marginally yes. However for someone who doesn't book holidays 355 days out the Joker is still a very powerful tool. Decide in December you have had enough cold and want to spend NYE on the beach? A joker will help but I doubt any of the 9million seats will be left.
The joker does not release any of the 9 million seats it releases new redemption space.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think associating these changes with a poem about the Holocaust might be stretching things a touch far. Remember that the previous changes significantly eroded the value of Gold so this could be seen as a reversion to the mean values of both cards.
Which is why I chose my words carefully to only refer to the sentiment rather the literal, in other words if you gloat about others having their benefits devalued you must realise that it can also happen to you. I for one had an idea that this would be around the corner after the GGL devaluation.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
These things happen, devaluation/inflation whatever. It's part of life, it's part of FF life too.

Personally I'm not too bothered as I never chase status, these changes opened up some flights I'd been waiting for in C so I can burn a stash of Avios. At least there has been an opportunity to burn if so desired.

I appreciate my circumstances are different but the bottom line is this sort of thing happens in all FF schemes at some stage.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
?

Will this become the longest thread on here in history ?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Paging Jerry_a_laska

Certainly the post/timeline rate must be interesting. Perhaps a Mod might oblige?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
It's looking that way. I am now fully in TL;DR mode and will unsub myself from it...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam, StarAlliance
I don't fly BA and use Avios earned via Amex MR and Chase cc for AA short segments in the US. I see the change only benefits me with a possible reduced redemption rate during off-peak. As a matter of fact, as long as I stay with coach awards, there will be no negative impacts.
Am I the lonely voice with this view?
Still debating whether to take advantage of MR->Avios 40% bonus before it ends in two days. The alternative is to start a new Flying Blue account to supplement my UA/AA reservoir, using it as a niche product, similar to Avios.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Personally not so bad it seems, but only because I do a few l/h a year with work – I’ll actually come out with more Avios on work trips to SIN in Club, even with the reduction in Silver Tier Bonus, and should be able to maintain Silver for now. Not sure why they need to reward corporate travellers who don’t have all that much say on how we travel (which most of us don’t, notwithstanding examples on here of people who are given quite a lot of autonomy)

Domestic/Europe earning effectively now reduced to an irrelevance (180 Avios, whoop!), but that is not my greatest source of Avios earning so I guess I’ll have to suck it up. I’d certainly give more thought to EI when popping back to Ireland now (who may end up back in the OW fold anyway!).

The increased redemption rates are very irritating, but
a) back to where they were a few years ago it seems (I’ve only been at this for 4 or 5 years); and
b) as someone said way up thread I’ll just have to wait a little longer for redemptions (the BA PP Amex at least gives a 2 year lifespan to the 2-4-1).

I can appreciate the irritation for those who fly a lot of intra-EU and/or on their own dime, but thought it worth providing an example of someone UK-based without especially unusual arrangements who is not that impacted. For now…
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:05 am

Most businesses look at their customer base (we certainly do) and customers who provide more revenue and in particular more profit are likely to get special attention. BA is just doing the same to its customers by re-adjusting the rewards profile to its more profitable customers - what is the problem with this?
The terms of the Executive Club with these changes seem to be reverting back to the earlier days of the Executive Club when discounted fares did not earn much of any BA Miles or Tier Points.
The change to the LCY/JFK service made eminent sense and was a logical change.
Personally I do not think the changes have gone far enough - there needs to be a further reduction in the Avios pool which would be best achieved by reducing the Avios handouts from the likes of Tesco and credit cards. Hopefully this will follow. There also needs to be an adjustment of the number of qualifying BA flights upwards for all Tier levels to ensure that BA Tier is more relevant to people who actually regularly fly BA rather than those who just fly the minimum number to qualify.
I also think they should readjust the Tier Point earning levels on deep discounted Business class fares such as I class. This would thin out those achieving status to GGL and CCR levels by TP runs.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Tier points don't have a bonus. You earn whatever it's offered, no matter which tier you are in.

The main focus of this round of devaluations is with regards to Avios, which are largely used for redeeming free flights or upgrades.
Thank you MeltingAlf, for the simple explanation, can see where I jumped to conclusions, thinking that the TP's would be halved, it is the Avios that are halved.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Most businesses look at their customer base (we certainly do) and customers who provide more revenue and in particular more profit are likely to get special attention. BA is just doing the same to its customers by re-adjusting the rewards profile to its more profitable customers - what is the problem with this?
The terms of the Executive Club with these changes seem to be reverting back to the earlier days of the Executive Club when discounted fares did not earn much of any BA Miles or Tier Points.
The change to the LCY/JFK service made eminent sense and was a logical change.
Personally I do not think the changes have gone far enough - there needs to be a further reduction in the Avios pool which would be best achieved by reducing the Avios handouts from the likes of Tesco and credit cards. Hopefully this will follow. There also needs to be an adjustment of the number of qualifying BA flights upwards for all Tier levels to ensure that BA Tier is more relevant to people who actually regularly fly BA rather than those who just fly the minimum number to qualify.
I also think they should readjust the Tier Point earning levels on deep discounted Business class fares such as I class. This would thin out those achieving status to GGL and CCR levels by TP runs.
+1
It would furthermore help to put the tier point qualifying level for silver at 1000 and for gold at 2000 or 2500 tier points. Gold should be more exclusive than it is now, otherwise BA will have to erode the gold perks very soon.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by shark67
My understanding is, that for J/F the Tier Points will remain the same as today (so you will get 360).

The reduction of Tier Bonuses (Avios) for Silver Cards from 100 % to 50 % doesn't apply to Tier Points...
Thank you shark76 for taking the time to show me the errors that I had jumped wrongly into, at least will always keep my silver card, just get the miles will be less

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.