Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Aside from cutting the silver bonus in half which is a big change which waterside bean counting numpty came up with the UuA formula. Quite how a WTP to CW UuA can go from 10k to 24k escapes me? The current system was fine and easy to figure out. Given these changes and the daft surcharges charged on redemption BAEC is fast going down the drain. Anyone care to venture an explanation for the UuA rationale??
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rajsbasi
Aside from cutting the silver bonus in half which is a big change which waterside bean counting numpty came up with the UuA formula. Quite how a WTP to CW UuA can go from 10k to 24k escapes me? The current system was fine and easy to figure out. Given these changes and the daft surcharges charged on redemption BAEC is fast going down the drain. Anyone care to venture an explanation for the UuA rationale??
Perhaps in their analysis , they figured that the current rate for upgrading was too low and seems to be in line with the view from some that the best value use of Avios was for upgrading from PE to Business
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
From HfP, re: the increase in earnings at the top end:
Does it matter to BA who is paying for the tickets? BA seems to simply be skewing its scheme back towards high fare payers as it was in its early days

Obviously there are going to be upset people ; istr that it wasnt that long ago that the silver earnings were raised to 100% to the indignation of gold members
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Does it matter to BA who is paying for the tickets? BA seems to simply be skewing its scheme back towards high fare payers as it was in its early days.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the changes. I remember flying discount Y, getting 25% points, and NO TPs on the flights I would fly that were booked by my corporate TA. OTOH, the corporate TA tickets bagged either 5 or 10% discount. When it was clear I was never going to hit Silver, I switched to *A for the next 10 years, where I did get status.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
If I'm seeing things right, there's a sweet spot range around Band 7-9 on the Iberia table for partner airline flights.

I'll have to fire up Excel to do a spreadsheet, unfortunately. The Iberia bands/ranges are different from the BA ones.
Thanks to Yllanes for the Iberia Avios English table.

Unfortunately, due to IB using a round-trip calculation unlike BA, that thing was a PITA to read.

I hope I got my calculations right. I presumed that Iberia Avios miles are calculated with the entire trip, and therefore used that assumption to double the miles needed and mileage flown on redemption on BA to suit that.

If my assumption is wrong, please do inform me. I do have another table assuming that the miles flown on redemption is one-way each (which looks REALLY odd with BA having massive increases.)

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the changes. I remember flying discount Y, getting 25% points, and NO TPs on the flights I would fly that were booked by my corporate TA. OTOH, the corporate TA tickets bagged either 5 or 10% discount. When it was clear I was never going to hit Silver, I switched to *A for the next 10 years, where I did get status.
In the spirit of yesterday's changes, perhaps all tickets issued under a corporate deal should earn neither TPs nor Avios, the money saved can be added to the corporate rebate.

Should please the bean counters. Who cares what the pax think?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:59 pm

In the spirit of yesterday's changes, perhaps all tickets issued under a corporate deal should earn neither TPs nor Avios, the money saved can be added to the corporate rebate.

BA cares about its profits

If BA thought that making such a change was worthwhile to it, I suspect it would.

I am sure that BA doesn't really care if certain passengers are adversely affected and knows that it will lose some customers
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur

Actually, at this time, the company policy was that you were not allowed to collect points on corporate travel. It changed shortly thereafter. Then I collected the points with UA, and got the corporate discount as well on my private travel.

From my point of view, it looks like BA waited to see what came out of the other programs, then set the bar slightly above that. With my traveling, there's no way I would get status with M&M, with BAEC I can still get up to Silver. But it still sucks quite badly.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Thanks to Yllanes for the Iberia Avios English table.

Unfortunately, due to IB using a round-trip calculation unlike BA, that thing was a PITA to read.

I hope I got my calculations right. I presumed that Iberia Avios miles are calculated with the entire trip, and therefore used that assumption to double the miles needed and mileage flown on redemption on BA to suit that.

If my assumption is wrong, please do inform me. I do have another table assuming that the miles flown on redemption is one-way each (which looks REALLY odd with BA having massive increases.)

Great work, but we should point out that this is the cost for redemptions on partners other than BA or IB.

If I understand correctly, you have generated this chart assuming that BA redemptions on other OW parterns will cost the same as on BA metal. Are we sure about this? It seems a little strange (notice, for instance, that the BA announcement does not even list the cost for IB redemptions, whicjh we know from the IB+ chart in http://www.ibp2015.com/Avios-y-puntos-elite_en.pdf is lower than on BA in some classes).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Great work, but we should point out that this is the cost for redemptions on partners other than BA or IB.

If I understand correctly, you have generated this chart assuming that BA redemptions on other OW parterns will cost the same as on BA metal. Are we sure about this? It seems a little strange (notice, for instance, that the BA announcement does not even list the cost for IB redemptions, whicjh we know from the IB+ is lower than on BA in some classes).
Ah, yes, I forgot to specify that these rates are for other oneworld carriers (although I did label the top of the Excel document as such)

Unfortunately, I suspect Iberia and BA pricing are fixed with respect to their own programme/airline.

Here's what BA's FAQ said:

Originally Posted by FAQ
Is Iberia also introducing peak and off-peak travel periods?

Yes. There will be some differences in the Avios pricing and the peak and off-peak periods for travel on Iberia, however Members will always be able to book reward flights with Iberia between London and Madrid at the British Airways Avios price.

You can read more about the Iberia Plus Avios pricing and peak and off-peak travel dates at iberia.com.
There's one odd anomaly in the Madrid-London flight though - whilst the better BA redemption rates apply, the Iberia calendar applies. A bit weird, in my opinion.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
If I understand correctly, you have generated this chart assuming that BA redemptions on other OW parterns will cost the same as on BA metal. Are we sure about this? It seems a little strange (notice, for instance, that the BA announcement does not even list the cost for IB redemptions, whicjh we know from the IB+ chart in http://www.ibp2015.com/Avios-y-puntos-elite_en.pdf is lower than on BA in some classes).
Yep.

From the BA FAQ:

Originally Posted by FAQ
Are oneworld and other partner airlines also introducing peak and off-peak travel periods?

No. If you would like to redeem Avios to fly with British Airways airline partners you will need to use peak Avios pricing all year round. There will be no off-peak pricing available for reward flights with our airline partners.
So that means while IB+ uses a separate table, BA relies on their own pricing (unfortunately the peak one) for oneworld partner redemptions.

---

I've managed to condense the table, but I'm not sure if my fat fingers caught something off. This is a lot neater compared to the other version.

Last edited by MeltingAlf; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:28 pm Reason: Included table.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
The explanation is that this was previously a sweet spot for UuA.

BA now would like to take more Avios off you for the privilege. Because they can. Affects all of us, but that's life!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 pm

Does it matter to BA who is paying for the tickets? BA seems to simply be skewing its scheme back towards high fare payers as it was in its early days
Of course it matters. It's a loyalty program. In the new format the vast majority of people it will be rewarding are the people who have no choice in the matter as their tickets are being bought for them. What's the point in that?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by benjyyy
Of course it matters. It's a loyalty program. In the new format the vast majority of people it will be rewarding are the people who have no choice in the matter as their tickets are being bought for them. What's the point in that?
Yessss... BA is tailoring its scheme based on the customer base that it wishes to reward

One point would be keeping those that are having to fly BA happy and not encourage the company to change to another carrier

BA is a company and it doesn't care about individual people generally; with few exceptions, I expect that those that have been "loyal" to BA are simply "loyal" based upon it being the best for their purposes rather than some sense of fealty to a corporation
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
BA is a company and it doesn't care about individual people generally; with few exceptions, I expect that those that have been "loyal" to BA are simply "loyal" based upon it being the best for their purposes rather than some sense of fealty to a corporation
I'm loyal because, despite the inconvenience of having to tag an additional flight onto my trip, BA ensured I wasn't penalised for doing so.

I'm loyal because, despite rarely being cheapest BA rewarded me for using them to a level that made it worth doing.

I'm loyal because, occasionally, I'm able to reach a higher status level and can usually get round company policy to incorporate paid for BA flights that would reward me for doing so.

You think I'm niche? They've shafted me for living outside the South East. They've made achieving higher status not worth the effort and they've made going in the face of company policy to get on a BA flight an effort not worth making.

After I've spent the outstanding Avios I can't see any reason why I'll fly with BA again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.