Wiki Posts
Search

LCY - AMS - Best seat for London views

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
LCY - AMS - Best seat for London views

I am flying from LCY-AMS in a couple of weeks on the Embraer E190 in Y, i just wondered if there is a 'better' side of the plane to sit for views of London?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
This thread might help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-airports.html
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by the_seeker1977
I am flying from LCY-AMS in a couple of weeks on the Embraer E190 in Y, i just wondered if there is a 'better' side of the plane to sit for views of London?

Thanks in advance
You may well head straight off to Southend and not really get a view, but you may get a glimpse of Canary Wharf if you are in the A seats and the wind forces a take off in that direction. One A (for some reason the number one is being blocked!) has a good set of windows for this. In the extra legroom 1D, if going that way around you may see the Olympic area, or what is left of it.
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Left side if you takeoff to the west and turn right on climb.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the extra legroom 1D.
I didn't know they had that band on the BA E190..
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by the_seeker1977

Thanks in advance
As others have said, the left side if you take off to the west. The prevailing wind at City means this is the most common departure pattern. You will get a brief glimpse as you do a sharp right turn on departure. Check the Met Office site for wind direction forecasts in the week coming up to the flight. Wind coming from roughly heading 180-359 will be good news.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Originally Posted by bitburgr

Many thanks all - I did wonder if the view on taking off might not be too wonderful...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may well head straight off to Southend and not really get a view, but you may get a glimpse of Canary Wharf if you are in the A seats and the wind forces a take off in that direction. One A (for some reason the number one is being blocked!) has a good set of windows for this. In the extra legroom 1D, if going that way around you may see the Olympic area, or what is left of it.
190 starts at 2D.

Also, the OP is in Y, so I recommend 23A to 25A inclusive for the best view, as the window alignments here are most favourable. Boarding is also done by rear stairs at LCY so it's almost like having priority boarding.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:13 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B440 Safari/600.1.4)

If departures are to the east, the right hand side will give you a wonderful view of HMP Belmarsh, Dartford & Bluewater Shopping Centre
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B440 Safari/600.1.4)

If departures are to the east, the right hand side will give you a wonderful view of HMP Belmarsh, Dartford & Bluewater Shopping Centre
irrelevant. If cloudy you have ~90 seconds of view. focus on the other 7 hours of the flight
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:54 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by DFB_london
irrelevant. If cloudy you have ~90 seconds of view. focus on the other 7 hours of the flight
If the headwinds are that strong, it may be a better idea to take the ferry..
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any regular traveller on the LON-AMS route will be all too familiar with this announcement:

"Ladies and gentleman, thank you for boarding quickly, we are now all ready to go, slightly ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, there are air traffic control restrictions in place at Amsterdam this morning / afternoon / evening which means we will be taxiing to a remote part of the airfield and waiting for about xxx

Sadly, I can envisage xxx being hours rather than minutes (though it's never quite been 7 !!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.