Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA or AA ticket for TATL flight with US segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR

I recently experienced some problems with a non flexible BA ticket in the US! My AA flight within the US with BA codeshare number was delayed by more than 2 hours and since my ticket was issued by BA, AA was not authorised by BA to confirm me on another AA flight. The AA agent did put me anyway on an earlier AA flight since he felt that in case of disruption or delays AA has to take care of loyal customers ( I am OW emerald). The AA agent did give me a clue: why do you not have your tickets issued by AA? The price will be the same but you will have the flexibility of confirmed same day changes even on a non flexible ticket. Furhtermore BA only books on AA flights with BA codeshare whilst AA allows you to book on all their flights which gives much more choice! Could someone confirm this? If this is true I will have my next TATL flights with US segments ticketed by AA of course.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
AA status?

Pretty decent of AA IMO
I always ticket on AA as they recognise your AA status (if you are GLD or PLT..they look after you), and never an issue with changing flights/earlier flights if space available etc.
Do you have any status with AA or are you relying on One world status??
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by wemyss
Pretty decent of AA IMO
I always ticket on AA as they recognise your AA status (if you are GLD or PLT..they look after you), and never an issue with changing flights/earlier flights if space available etc.
Do you have any status with AA or are you relying on One world status??
I am mainly relying on OW status with BA but I am also AA Gold. i did not even mention this to the AA agent.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
NON-US segments

Same question but advantage for the TATL segment with connection @ LHR. I am inclined to book BA (and fly BA metal) from JFK because:
  1. Easier transfer to flight to AMS in terminal 5.
  2. Can book Wortd Traveler +, which is not available on AA metal
  1. Flying from AMS -> PHX and want the LHR - PHX flight back

Make sense?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by remedy
Make sense?
Yes, especially number 2.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by vibguy
My AA flight within the US with BA codeshare number was delayed by more than 2 hours and since my ticket was issued by BA, AA was not authorised by BA to confirm me on another AA flight. The AA agent did put me anyway on an earlier AA flight since he felt that in case of disruption or delays AA has to take care of loyal customers ( I am OW emerald). The AA agent did give me a clue: why do you not have your tickets issued by AA? The price will be the same but you will have the flexibility of confirmed same day changes even on a non flexible ticket. Furhtermore BA only books on AA flights with BA codeshare whilst AA allows you to book on all their flights which gives much more choice!
It seems to me that there are two different points here, which may give rise to different issues:-
  • [*]

I don't think it's right that BA will only book a BA flight number. ba.com certainly has a strong tendency to do this, but I'm not sure that it's universal. But you can always phone BA to ask to book the AA flight number if you prefer to do that.

I think there must be pros and cons to AA or BA for each of these points.

For example, some people may prefer to book the BA flight number rather than the AA flight number on a specific flight because they will earn more Avios if he BA flight number has been booked (regardless of whether it's an AA-issued ticket or a BA-issued ticket).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA agent was wrong as to policy but did the right thing in the end. The rule is that in IRROPS on "day of" the operating carrier causing the IRROPS, in this case AA, handles the reroute.

Thus, other considerations should determine the AA vs. BA choice.

For completeness. Any other changes must be made by the ticketing carrier.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.