Wiki Posts
Search

Not flying after online check-in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: All Expired... :-(
Not flying after online check-in

I was booked onto a flight from Paris CDG last Friday evening, and I checked-in online for the flight on Thursday evening. On Friday morning, as the terrible events were unfolding, it appeared on the news that the authorities had closed two runways at CDG (I was unaware until checking later that CDG actually has four runways).

Not wanting to be stuck in Paris, I quickly found and purchased an earlier alternative flight leaving from Paris Orly. I ended up taking the earlier flight from Orly.

If you've already checked in online for a flight, but then don't turn up, what's the correct etiquette - should you contact the airline to tell them? If not, what's the point of OLCI?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cerebrito
If you've already checked in online for a flight, but then don't turn up, what's the correct etiquette - should you contact the airline to tell them? If not, what's the point of OLCI?
It is indeed best to ring up BAEC and ask them to offload you from the flight - this isn't a difficult procedure. If there are long telephone queues then one can be forgiven for not trying, but Skype can be installed on most Smartphones these days.

At NCL, to give one example, if someone has OLCI and not turned up by the doors closing time, they will ring up security (after checking in the lounge) to see if passengers may be stuck there, and wait a few more minutes if necessary: at NCL they try to get away a few minutes early if they can.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is indeed best to ring up BAEC and ask them to offload you from the flight - this isn't a difficult procedure.
I must admit, with everything happening on Friday, and with this being the first time this has ever happened to me, I didn't even think of this until I was seated on the plane. If this ever does happen again, I will be sure to call them.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I'm assuming that ringing up BA to ask to be offloaded the last sector of an ex-EU would also be fine? Or speaking to an agent at the airport after arriving from the longhaul?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by Genius1
I'm assuming that ringing up BA to ask to be offloaded the last sector of an ex-EU would also be fine? Or speaking to an agent at the airport after arriving from the longhaul?
You are a (travel) agent provocateur!

Is there such thing as an etiquette when talking about a single consumer versus a large corporation? For me etiquette refers to a social interaction from one person to the other, in this case a fellow passenger, crew, even a TSA agent!
Can't see anything good coming out of wasting time cancelling an OLCI (a) which should have been factored in the overbooking process and (b) where the favour will never be returned.

It may be different if you are the best known customer of that company, as CWS above, but for the masses I don't see an etiquette applying here.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason to call is that BA might have rebooked you under the circumstances or at least told you that your flight was operating. You would have saved the money on the new ticket.

In the ordinary course, if you are on a discounted ticket that does not include a refund and cannot be changed without a penalty exceeding the ticket's value, don't waste your money.

BA's IM software factors in noshows, overbooks for that reason and your noshow is what avoids an oversale from ocurring.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gold77
Is there such thing as an etiquette when talking about a single consumer versus a large corporation?
I was less worried about BA, and more concerned that fellow passengers may have been sat waiting in an airplane until the last minute, instead of leaving a bit earlier, because I had checked in, but not arrived at the gate.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I OLCIed and no-showed once because of a broken knee. I did not do anything, but knowing that BA applies sophisticated techniques to forecast no-shows my conscience was clear.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:08 am

To be honest I've never missed a BA flight on purpose or by chance.

I used to fly LH when I was still a teen in Germany and once called to say that I would not be using my return leg. I was told the change would cost around 80 (can't remember exactly how much); when I said I'm not going to pay it and be a no show I was told I'd be fined over 100 euros if that happened.

Is this not the case anymore or just a different policy for BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.