Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Considering moving from UA to BA - anything I haven't thought of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering moving from UA to BA - anything I haven't thought of?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
for me WT+ is in a different league to the economy plus you have on UA.

for that alone I would move to BA if i were you. The Added bonus is that once booked in WT+ you can upg to CW for 10K avios (availability dependent of course!)

(FWIW my company policy is similar, and we all moved over to BA for this some years ago.)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Great, thanks - this is all very helpful/encouraging!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
The upgrade to Business from WTP is only 10k each way, meaning that as BA Silver/Gold you come out at almost Avios neutral. I've often found last minute award availability, including the good seats on the upper deck (62K T-48).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:15 am

WTPlus is a very popular cabin, in fact on most routes I nearly often see it full. If you can gain status, you have a good chance of the occasional op up to Club, which of course is a big step up, as well as the ability to upgrade with Avios.

I look forward to seeing you on a BA aircraft soon. Welcome ^
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
UA lounge in Terminal 2 > Galleries Lounge
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Point was OP was saying if opting for AAdvantage it might be difficult to get 4 AA sectors flying ORD-LHR, when there's a very simple solution to that!
I wasn't suggesting the OP transfer through NYC every time, just that if you want to trigger AA/US sectors quickly then adding ORD-x-y-LHR transfers on the US side, for almost no extra cost, would likely get the OP his 4 AA/US sectors a lot faster than flying them on infrequent ORD-LHR-ORD TATLs

Oh, and if the OP were to do an AA Challenge, there's no AA/US metal requirement, so perhaps that sidesteps the issue in year 1 (and perhaps 2) anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I think you will find that Premium Economy (WTP) on BA is much better than E+ on UA - wider seats with extra legroom. Being based in London, you'll also have the small benefits offered for your European travel at the Silver level, like advanced seat selection etc.

The loss of TSA pre-check and the high co-pays on award flights would also give me pause, but I think these are more than made up for by the better seat.

I'm lucky to fly enough where I can (usually) upgrade to business class on my frequent flights from SFO->LHR, otherwise I'd be right there with you!

Keep an eye out for the BA VISA card promotions from Chase. Occasionally you can earn 50,000 or even 100,000 Avios miles for spending "only" $5000/$10000 in a short period of time etc

Last edited by StingWest; Jan 9, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
Main question is will your company policy stretch to premium economy?

BA's World Traveller Plus is considered a separate cabin (you have to pay the higher rate of APD) and is not just the better seats at the front of the main cabin that products like economy plus are. If you book economy, you get economy. No status or seat selection fees will get you into the WTP cabin unless you pay to upgrade.
or you get an opup
(and APD is easily solved by ex EU tickets, which I will gladly do when I need to pay for my own tickets or it allows me to pick BA/AA over other carriers for work.)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by StingWest
I think you will find that Premium Economy (WTP) on BA is much better than E+ on UA - wider seats with extra legroom. Being based in London, you'll also have the small benefits offered for your European travel at the Silver level, like advanced seat selection etc.
but UA E+ does not attract ripoff ('standard') APD and is free for elites unlike BA WTP which ofte has a fare differential.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I wasn't suggesting the OP transfer through NYC every time, just that if you want to trigger AA/US sectors quickly then adding ORD-x-y-LHR transfers on the US side, for almost no extra cost, would likely get the OP his 4 AA/US sectors a lot faster than flying them on infrequent ORD-LHR-ORD TATLs

Oh, and if the OP were to do an AA Challenge, there's no AA/US metal requirement, so perhaps that sidesteps the issue in year 1 (and perhaps 2) anyway.
No extra cost provided OP (or anyone, really) stays within maximum permitted mileage on most published fares and the airports that you are transiting will not add XF tax.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:05 pm
glg

Originally Posted by tsg20
- I've been able to use TSA Pre on most of my US-UK flights, not just domestically in the US, but this is definitely a minor point
If you're not flying domestically on your US trips, then it's much less of a big deal when flying BA out of T5 than UA out of T1. T5 security is a lot easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.