Wiki Posts
Search

What routes loses the most money?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by BA0197
Y
I'm sure BA can support a 788 flight to BAH and a 788 (or indeed 772) to DOH direct to LHR. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this has not been implemented.
slots at LHR?

(also just a guess)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
I've read on this forum elsewhere that the LCY-JFK service is subsidized by some big financial firms in the city.
Airlines can hardly be critisised for private subsidy. That is a valid revenue source. Several routes can considered to be "subisised by enterprise" through several forms of revenue guarantees/ quantity of people transported in exchange for the operating airline to ensure it meets the companies route needs and discounts on tickets.

Public subsidy is where this practice is frownded upon.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Airlines can hardly be critisised for private subsidy. That is a valid revenue source. Several routes can considered to be "subisised by enterprise" through several forms of revenue guarantees/ quantity of people transported in exchange for the operating airline to ensure it meets the companies route needs and discounts on tickets.

Is the LCY-JFK still a subsidised operation? Is used to say 'operated by BA limited', it doesn't anymore..
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
Is the LCY-JFK still a subsidised operation? Is used to say 'operated by BA limited', it doesn't anymore..
To my knowledge, this route was never subsidised by anyone. It may have had corporate contracts and be backed by major financial organisations, but no form of public revenue guarantees.

The "operated by BA limited" was a mere accounting exercise that had to do with holding Heathrow slots. That exercise has now been dropped and the aircraft returned to operating under the BA Banner- nothing to do with subsidy.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
Are there not routes that BA fly that are unprofitable but subsidised by cities/countries? I'm sure I saw something on a few BA routes in the press a while back
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the BWI service receives (or received) a subsidy from the state government.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
Are there not routes that BA fly that are unprofitable but subsidised by cities/countries? I'm sure I saw something on a few BA routes in the press a while back
A subsidised unprofitable route, quickly becomes profitable. BA are not going to deny a free subsidy that Maryland feels brings wealth into the state. So I think, BWI is one of the routes that we can, with any certainty, state that BA makes a profit on.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver

I wasn't bashing them at all. They can do what the hell they like as far as I'm concerned. If business A pays business B some money to maintain a service beneficial to A, then that's a perfectly respectable transaction.

Isn't the LHR-PHL route backed somehow by a big pharma? I've read that somewhere.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
A subsidised unprofitable route, quickly becomes profitable. BA are not going to deny a free subsidy that Virginia feels brings wealth into the state. So I think, BWI is one of the routes that we can, with any certainty, state that BA makes a profit on.
Or, perhaps, Maryland rather than Virginia.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Or, perhaps, Maryland rather than Virginia.
My half-American side is ashamed. Post was quickly corrected!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

To my knowledge, this route was never subsidised by anyone. It may have had corporate contracts and be backed by major financial organisations, but no form of public revenue guarantees.

The "operated by BA limited" was a mere accounting exercise that had to do with holding Heathrow slots. That exercise has now been dropped and the aircraft returned to operating under the BA Banner- nothing to do with subsidy.
Ohhh I see!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:48 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
I wasn't bashing them at all. They can do what the hell they like as far as I'm concerned. If business A pays business B some money to maintain a service beneficial to A, then that's a perfectly respectable transaction.

Isn't the LHR-PHL route backed somehow by a big pharma? I've read that somewhere.
A recent thread on Airliners.net says that AA's RDU-LHR route is backed by big pharms.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:49 pm

Not entirely on topic, but googling airline subsidy through up this gem:

http://www.emirates.com/english/imag...233-845771.pdf

Some interesting stats re airlines and state subsidies. BA seems to doing very well on it's own compared some other European flag carriers.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
My half-American side is ashamed. Post was quickly corrected!
No worries. I may have passed my Life in the UK exam, but I'm still learning my UK geography.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Prospero
Chatting to AA cabin crew the other month on board a SFO-JFK flight I learned the A321T has proved very popular with AA crews (IFE issues aside) and financially is working very well for AA. Evidently, operating costs theoretically break even with 2 full fare occupants in F and 8 in J and in practice is proving very successful for the airline. Something to think about on your next trip to HNL
They are rather nice. Flew one last summer. The IFE didn't work but I had my iPad.

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
slots at LHR?

(also just a guess)
BA sold a slot pair to QR for its DOH-LHR A319 service. The seats on that were the same as the J seats on the AA A321T
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by srbrenna
They are rather nice. Flew one last summer. The IFE didn't work but I had my iPad.
Yep just done JFK-SFO myself. Very nice, vastly superior to domestic F.

As for the IFE, mine had issues. Crew chap told me hold the power button for 30 seconds and it'll do a hard reset (takes about 5 minutes to reboot) then was back in action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.