Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For an AA flight booked on AA stock you can't use avios to upgrade it. I have no idea on the cost/mechanism for upgrading using AA miles.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Thanks!

Thanks for your answer Karfa!
I understand the AA system, its the BA I can't follow...it just seems so complicated...
Is there a WIKI or a thread which compares AA with BA as there will be so many people who have miles in both systems?
Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: BD, BA, 1MHC.
UuA

I have 2 paid flights 6th April from LHR to LAS in WT+.

I would like to upgrade to Club using Avios, but am unable to get any sense out of the call centre.

At time of typing there are regular CW seats available.

When would be the best time to go for the upgrade. According to the CC I cannot do it until 1 month before flight.

Does anyone know if this is correct.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Noiseboy
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by noiseboy
I have 2 paid flights 6th April from LHR to LAS in WT+.

I would like to upgrade to Club using Avios, but am unable to get any sense out of the call centre.

At time of typing there are regular CW seats available.

When would be the best time to go for the upgrade. According to the CC I cannot do it until 1 month before flight.

Does anyone know if this is correct.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Noiseboy
There is no maximum time period to do a UuA. Regular or revenue CW seats are irrelevant. You need to check for CW reward seats and you can do this by doing a dummy booking for your flight on ba.com and seeing whether there are any reward CW seats available. If there are not don't bother calling, but do keep checking since extra CW reward seats may be released closer to the flight date.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Upgrade using Avios

Hi,

I booked a LHR-NRT WTP return ticket some days ago and have been trying to upgrade it to the Club. I am not allowed to upgrade it using Avios and get the same error popup "Sorry....".

I also tried to upgrade it with money, but one way cost me £400-500 only but the other leg "£3000"!

I wonder what booking class of WTP can be upgraded with Avios.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Hi,

I booked a LHR-NRT WTP return ticket some days ago and have been trying to upgrade it to the Club. I am not allowed to upgrade it using Avios and get the same error popup "Sorry....".

I also tried to upgrade it with money, but one way cost me £400-500 only but the other leg "£3000"!

I wonder what booking class of WTP can be upgraded with Avios.
All (public) WTP fares can be upgraded with Avios, provided there is a redemption seat available in CW.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:18 am

To add to Calchas's post, check whether there is a CW reward flight available on your flight. You can do this by doing a dummy reward flight booking - straight reward seats and UuAs use the same booking class so if there is a seat for one there is a seat for the other.

The online UuA tool for existing bookings is not the most reliable so don't rely on it to effectively check whether you can do it. If there is a reward seat and the online tool isn't working just call - quick!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
To add to Calchas's post, check whether there is a CW reward flight available on your flight. You can do this by doing a dummy reward flight booking - straight reward seats and UuAs use the same booking class so if there is a seat for one there is a seat for the other.

The online UuA tool for existing bookings is not the most reliable so don't rely on it to effectively check whether you can do it. If there is a reward seat and the online tool isn't working just call - quick!
Thanks Calchas and KARFA!

CW reward seats are not available for both in & outbound!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
CW reward seats are not available for both in & outbound!
This may change, particularly close to departure.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:30 am

If you are using part Avios + part cash (well..credit card) when booking a hotel, do they add the credit card fee then as well?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Quick question please. If I book a Qantas flight using Avios, the charges for which are c£10, and need to cancel more than 24 hours out, am I right that all I would lose would be the £10 (i.e. no extra fee to cancel and all my Avios would come back)? I should be able to cancel online shouldn't I?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: QR Gold
I cant book CX flight using the online BA booking engine? It says to contact BA. Is this normal?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:35 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by louie-m
Quick question please. If I book a Qantas flight using Avios, the charges for which are c£10, and need to cancel more than 24 hours out, am I right that all I would lose would be the £10 (i.e. no extra fee to cancel and all my Avios would come back)? I should be able to cancel online shouldn't I?
Correct

Originally Posted by dohadosser
I cant book CX flight using the online BA booking engine? It says to contact BA. Is this normal?
Generally you should be able to, although BA is known for showing phantom CX availability. I would check on JAL to see if the CX flight is actually available. If it is and you still can't book online you'll need to call BA.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by nux
Generally you should be able to, although BA is known for showing phantom CX availability. I would check on JAL to see if the CX flight is actually available. If it is and you still can't book online you'll need to call BA.
Ok so JAL is showing availability - I will contact BA call center
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:22 am

booked:

DOH-HKG QR in C
HKG-DOH CX in C

2 pax - 160,000 avois and approx £320 in taxes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.