Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Isn't W and F available as RFS on the DME route for the 747 flights?
^ Of course
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Plus about a dozen fifth freedom flights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux
Plus about a dozen fifth freedom flights.
Ah yes of course, I had forgotten those.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm trying to book flights on US airways from phx, charlotte, and Nashville. I know I can find those on AA.com. Since they aren't mileSaaver seats, how do I go about this so I can use Avios.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I'm trying to book flights on US airways from phx, charlotte, and Nashville. I know I can find those on AA.com. Since they aren't mileSaaver seats, how do I go about this so I can use Avios.
I'm not sure what it is you are asking. You can book reward flights on AA and US using avios. If you want to check aa.com to see if there is availability then you need to look for milesaaver availability. If you find milesaaver availability on aa.com for AA or US those flights should be able to be booked on ba.com.

That said if you desired route involves connections ba.com will often not show the connections and you will need to search for each flight individually (and either book them separately or call to book them together).

Be advised that US recently changed their redemption flight booking codes and so many are having difficulty booking reward flights on US. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-ba-com.html
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If the flights you want are not available as milesaaver awards then you can't book them using Avios.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I'm not sure what it is you are asking. You can book reward flights on AA and US using avios. If you want to check aa.com to see if there is availability then you need to look for milesaaver availability. If you find milesaaver availability on aa.com for AA or US those flights should be able to be booked on ba.com.

That said if you desired route involves connections ba.com will often not show the connections and you will need to search for each flight individually (and either book them separately or call to book them together).

Be advised that US recently changed their redemption flight booking codes and so many are having difficulty booking reward flights on US. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-ba-com.html
I'm an idiot. I figured it out.

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Jan 27, 2015 at 2:40 pm Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I guess I'm not seeing the mileSAAver info because the flights on aa.com are all through US and they use different terminology. I've only used Delta and Southwest to fly on domestically.
On aa.com if US flights are available (for milesaaver redemptions) they will show up under the same economy milesaaver or business/first milesaaver tabs as the AA flights. aa.com does not use any different terminology in listing US award flights available for booking when doing an award search. A domestic award search on aa.com should return results with at least four tabs across the top: economy milesaaver, economy aanytime, business/first milesaaver, and business/first aanytime. If any US flights are available as awards they will show up under one of these tabs.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:54 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I guess I'm not seeing the mileSAAver info because the flights on aa.com are all through US and they use different terminology.
The more likely explanation is the one you yourself gave earlier:

they aren't mileSaaver seats
If the flights are available for either US Dividend Miles or AAdvantage miles at the lowest rate ("MileSAAver" on aa.com or "low" on usairways.com) then you should normally be able to book them through BAEC.

In practice, my recent experience is that searches on aa.com have often brought back more MileSAAver options than the "low" options shown after equivalent searches on usairways.com, including options involving flights operated by US. It is possible that these won't be available for BAEC redemptions.

What are you seeing when you search on ba.com? What are your desired dates and routes?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
The more likely explanation is the one you yourself gave earlier:

If the flights are available for either US Dividend Miles or AAdvantage miles at the lowest rate ("MileSAAver" on aa.com or "low" on usairways.com) then you should normally be able to book them through BAEC.

In practice, my recent experience is that searches on aa.com have often brought back more MileSAAver options than the "low" options shown after equivalent searches on usairways.com, including options involving flights operated by US. It is possible that these won't be available for BAEC redemptions.

What are you seeing when you search on ba.com? What are your desired dates and routes?
I really appreciate you and the others responding. I was being slow and found what I need. I was able to call BA and get this booked. This whole process makes me want to dust off my PRG and get to spending to earn some more MRs.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but a search didn't throw anything up..... I am currently booked on an award ticket in WT+. What fees do I have to pay to "upgrade" to CW?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For a UuA from WT+ to CW you should be paying the difference in carrier surcharge - it isn't a tax difference. The carrier surcharge applicable is route specific, generally though the longer the route the more the surcharge. For example starting from the UK the additional surcharge for CW over WT+ for a return LHR to NYC is around £106 so the cost of doing a UuA for a return should be 20k avios and £106, and 10k avios and £53 for a one way UuA. The avios rates I have quoted for UuA are at the existing rates btw not the new ones announced today.

EDIT: there is no change fee to pay.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:40 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:48 am

For TA bookings that include Non-BA Metal (but on BA flight numbers) I am told I cannot UuA on the BA operated and marketed flights.

Why does the fact a TA has booked it affect the ability to UuA ?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
EDIT: there is no change fee to pay.
Thanks, basically that is what I was after! I'm not UUAing, it's already a full reward booking.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:10 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
The avios rates I have quoted for UuA are at the existing rates btw not the new ones announced today.
Announced today... by KARFA. Yes, really. I'm sure BA will get round to mailing us overseas members at some point, but for me your post was the first indication that I should head for the BA board front page to find out what's going on. Bad BA; good KARFA.

General point on "spending Avios": it's been apparent for a few days now that there is very good redemption availability on a lot of TATL routes. Grab it now, people, before the new redemption chart kicks in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.