Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bah! Humbug! Would you rather spend New Year's Eve on a BA flight than on the ground?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bah! Humbug! Would you rather spend New Year's Eve on a BA flight than on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have never really been one for celebrating New Year's Eve. Christmas I enjoy a great deal, spending time with friends and family. But tonight I shall not be celebrating.

It made me think ... perhaps a great way of celebrating New Year's Eve for the man or woman who wants to get away from general festivities would be by spending it on a BA overnight flight! Does anyone else feel the same?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Yes and have done last two years, but staying over in BKK this year until 7th. Last year flew back from HKG in BA26 and the fireworks over the harbour looked fantastic from above. I usually think they are a waste of money but from above was something different!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Ground, ground, GROUND, GROUND!!!!

I'm in an aircraft far too often as it is - I'm thoroughly enjoying being grounded and having quality family time with my nearest and dearest.

... only for 4 more days though and it all begins again

Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I've never flown during the New Year, and although I'd like to once, my preference is to stay on the ground.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, got plans with friends I don't see too often.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
on a plane, preferably some way we could celebrate the New year several times
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:27 am

Plane every time. It would be an interesting way to spend new years.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Returned from LAX on a 744 last year (CIVG I think, whichever one has wifi), this year am in BA (aka Hiddyland) and flying back on BA on the 1st. Am now making a tradition of using cheap OW fares to head off at this time of year, as had NYE in Petra in 2012

Plan for next year is to book a (cancellable) hotel room somewhere and see if the flights present themselves. Have a few IHG free nights now... (though guess most will have blackout dates for 31/12)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Not one for celebrating NY either but would still rather be on the ground, asleep in my own bed. Last few years I'm in bed well before 11 and sleep right through. No greater satisfaction than walking the dog early on New Years day, going to gym and getting ready for work next day; all while everyone else is nursing a hangover!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not bothered about New Year's at all. Going to stay home with the OH and the cats, watch a film and eat 'American c**p' like my dad ever so politely puts it (wings, sliders, spinach & artichoke dip etc) and have a drink or two.

So yeah, would happily spend it flying somewhere nice! Or home from somewhere nice having spent Christmas there to avoid family feuds over the festive period
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL
Have considered the SYD thing myself, but I always end up with friends and food and drink and lots of hangover.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Definitely at home with my wife. I spend enough time flying for business throughout the year, I have no desire to spend any more time inside a metal tube.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:38 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
I flew BA from PHX-LGW on old years evening in 1999.
Loved it, almost empty aircraft.

Today I will be working, and will enjoy Old years evening/New Year's Day from Amsterdam Airport ��.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Right about now I'd happily get on a plane to BKK and spend a few nights in the Oriental, on my way to the Amanpuri in Phuket...rather than the lame party I'm being forced to attend!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I'd happily be either on the ground or in the air for NYE, as long as I'm with loved ones, but will try to avoid flying New Year's Day in future. I'm doing it tomorrow, against my own advice. Last time I did was the largest collection of hangovers I'd ever encountered post-Uni (including the crew) making for a very grumpy flight all around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.