Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bah! Humbug! Would you rather spend New Year's Eve on a BA flight than on the ground?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bah! Humbug! Would you rather spend New Year's Eve on a BA flight than on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
BA123 from LHR to MRU on 31.12.10, first flight in NF on a 747, I seem to remember drinking a bottle of port, and not much else! New year happened at some point during the flight!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:39 pm

It made me think ... perhaps a great way of celebrating New Year's Eve for the man or woman who wants to get away from general festivities would be by spending it on a BA overnight flight! Does anyone else feel the same?
Definitely, although with some of the destinations I want to see, I might have to step off BA and try somebody else!

Still on my to do list before the Grim Reaper gets me!

Hawaii (been twice, but I don't think you can get bored by it and there are a few islands I haven't yet seen.)

San Diego (my idea of heaven - almost every day a constant 27 degs C and the perfect place to escape a BRitish winter when I retire!

Fiji
Vanuatu
Alaska and specifically Denali National Park (warm weather only please! The Iditarod is best viewed on a TV screen in front of a roaring fire!)
Bora Bora
New Zealand
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The one thing about NYE I hate is the twats that keep banging off fireworks at random intervals when I am trying to get to sleep ... never mind the distress it causes The Cat.

This year I shall be particularly sensitive, as we have a taxi booked for 0745 tomorrow to start heading for HNL, and I really need my sleep if i'm getting up that early.

HUMBUG ... it's just another day nearer my coffin
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Just think of them as helping your jet lag - 7.45 is what, 9.45 HNL time? Have a decent kip on the plane from a position of tiredness
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
This year I shall be particularly sensitive, as we have a taxi booked for 0745 tomorrow to start heading for HNL, and I really need my sleep if i'm getting up that early
Enjoy the trip T8191

I'm in Milan this year and I'm just off to the city to enjoy the celebrations. Happy New Year to all fellow Flyertalkers, I wish you all happy and safe travelling in 2015. ^
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
As long as my flight into TPA isn't late tonight (scheduled 11:44pm 12/31) I will just make it in time for a hug with my wife before we see in the new year together probably in the short stay car park at the airport.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by golfmad
As long as my flight into TPA isn't late tonight (scheduled 11:44pm 12/31) I will just make it in time for a hug with my wife before we see in the new year together probably in the short stay car park at the airport.
How romantic!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
How romantic!
Exactly
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: ABBA
NYE is always an anticlimax. Best to let the wife chat to her mother in the kitchen while I sit on the sofa with a glass of Pinot Grigio, some cheese, and flyertalk.

Best NY was in NYC at a comedy club, but that would have been a good night at any time. I worked one NYE night shift, put the (boring endless repetetive) fireworks on TV then watched a few movies with a glass of wine.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
May as well, cant be dealing with all this merry festive nonsense, especially all the happy clappy facebookers (look at me my life is brilliant. naw, it's no). May as well start a year in a new country, i like it! Unfortunately im on my sofa with some rubbish comedy review on STV. On the other hand i have a few hoegaardens, troopers and a bottle of scharffenberger from anderson valley to cheer me up. All im missing is an ardbeg or two, although that would mean real pain when the 6am baby wake up call comes, hurrah! Happy easter!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:19 pm

........cant be dealing with all this merry festive nonsense, especially all the happy clappy facebookers (look at me my life is brilliant. naw, it's no).
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I hate New Years Eve so I would definitely take being on a plane rather than being on the ground (though i'm having a nice quiet night in with the cats and a Kir Royale so it isn't all bad). I did consider going away this year but then I realised i'd spend New Years Day in a place where nowhere was open and the racing wasn't on TV.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I'm a miserable old git when it comes to NYE too, so am perfectly happy to be sat at JFK now waiting for the 9pm sleeper service back to LHR. How much sleeping will actually happen is yet to be seen if there are festivities taking place on board.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by bealine
A'right i admit i like the broons. If only that really happened up here!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: ABBA
Great things in TV. Washed up old guys and a guy who needs a haircut "singing" on bbc1, washed up old guys singing on bbc2, washed up old comedian on itv, and 50 funniest washed up people on channel 4.

Paloma faith seems vaugly ok now, nearly as good as an iPod!

Ron Weasley is now "singing"

Last edited by paulwuk; Dec 31, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.