Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-LHR-JFK Connection Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
DUB-LHR-JFK Connection Question

Landside and then south security. There is no need to go via FCC with a dub arrival. You can do it but you just end up walking a lot further and going through north security which can often be busy.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Originally Posted by KARFA
Landside and then south security. There is no need to go via FCC with a dub arrival. You can do it but you just end up walking a lot further and going through north security which can often be busy.
Thanks for the update
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; GT-I9192 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/44.0.2403.133 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Looks like I will be forced to go back landside.

SWMBO has left her handbag in the car boot back at the LHR hotel, and we currently at DUB!

So my 4hr connection will now be used to rush back to the hotel to retrieve it.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
I am doing DUB-LHR-JFK at the end of next month.
I am travelling with hand luggage only and probably with mobile boarding passes. If I decide to not use flight connections and go airside via the well known short cut to connect, will I need to go through the passport and visa check before going through security?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes, if travelling HBO.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by walmon1977
I am doing DUB-LHR-JFK at the end of next month.
I am travelling with hand luggage only and probably with mobile boarding passes. If I decide to not use flight connections and go airside via the well known short cut to connect, will I need to go through the passport and visa check before going through security?
You mean at LHR T5 when you return from DUB and before your LHR-JFK flight?

On arrival at T5 you can either use the DUB arrivals corridor and exit out landside through the baggage hall, and then go airside via north or south security, or go via the flight connections route which takes you in to the flight connections area where you go via the international connections channel and up to north security.

Tbh unless you are on a very tight connection and need to make conformance (35 minutes) I suggest the landside route is better.

You will probably need a quick visa/ESTA check. There is a desk near teh entrance to South Secuirty so worth stopping to do it just in case rather then walk to the security gate, get a red light, and have to go back anyway.

You won't encounter an UKBF immigration officer by either route.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
You mean at LHR T5 when you return from DUB and before your LHR-JFK flight?

On arrival at T5 you can either use the DUB arrivals corridor and exit out landside through the baggage hall, and then go airside via north or south security, or go via the flight connections route which takes you in to the flight connections area where you go via the international connections channel and up to north security.

Tbh unless you are on a very tight connection and need to make conformance (35 minutes) I suggest the landside route is better.

You will probably need a quick visa/ESTA check. There is a desk near teh entrance to South Secuirty so worth stopping to do it just in case rather then walk to the security gate, get a red light, and have to go back anyway.

You won't encounter an UKBF immigration officer by either route.
Yes, before my JFK flight. grabbed a nice exEU tier point run.
Connection time is 1h05 so shall see how it goes on the day (if I arrive early etc)
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Without wanting to drag this too far off course, I had a similar query around a transfer arriving from DUB into T5 and then departing T3 (on AA to LAX), with a 3h15 transit time arriving at 9am on a Sunday.

I’ve transited T5 to T3 before, but from AMS, and given that getting landside from a DUB arrival is so easy (as described above) I have been wondering whether I might be better off hopping on the HEX or Piccadilly Line to T3. My instinct would be to go landside (if only to avoid a bus around the airfield, which always feels so utterly tedious!), or do people think I would be better off heading to the Flight Connections buses and clearing transit security at T3?

Thoughts welcome!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by daftboy
Without wanting to drag this too far off course, I had a similar query around a transfer arriving from DUB into T5 and then departing T3 (on AA to LAX), with a 3h15 transit time arriving at 9am on a Sunday.

I’ve transited T5 to T3 before, but from AMS, and given that getting landside from a DUB arrival is so easy (as described above) I have been wondering whether I might be better off hopping on the HEX or Piccadilly Line to T3. My instinct would be to go landside (if only to avoid a bus around the airfield, which always feels so utterly tedious!), or do people think I would be better off heading to the Flight Connections buses and clearing transit security at T3?

Thoughts welcome!
Why do you think the tube or HEX in a dark tunnel after having to wait to exit the UK border is less tedious than an airside transfer bus? I have done an T5 to T3 transfer recently and gone through the new FCC and security at T3. From stepping off the plane (also from AMS) at stand 517 I think to sitting in the CX lounge was 35 minutes. I think at best the landside route might just match that, and at worst take longer with a lot more walking and hassle.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Thoughts welcome!
I would say that on 98% of occasions the airside bus is faster than going landside, sometimes considerably so. The other 2% there would be only a minute or two advantage to landside (amounting to arriving at a gate near to the UK Border, empty e-gates and walking straight on to an tube/HEX just about to depart). The airside bus trip may be tedious, but it only takes 11 or 12 minutes.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would say that on 98% of occasions the airside bus is faster than going landside, sometimes considerably so. The other 2% there would be only a minute or two advantage to landside (amounting to arriving at a gate near to the UK Border, empty e-gates and walking straight on to an tube/HEX just about to depart). The airside bus trip may be tedious, but it only takes 11 or 12 minutes.
Thanks c-w-s, the airside bus is probably the more straightforward option I guess. (I have some deep-seated bus issues after a youth spent in a region not served by trains...clearly I am not over them yet! )

And Karfa, see above, I didn't say my train preference was logical...
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:34 am

And Karfa, see above, I didn't say my train preference was logical...
Fair enough Airside bus is quicker & easier, but you are right it is always good to be aware of teh other options (tube/HEX) just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.