DUB-LHR-JFK Connection Question

Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:43 pm
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
DUB-LHR-JFK Connection Question

I have an upcoming flight with a short connection at T5 of 65 minutes. I haven't done a Dublin flight since they moved to T5 but will I still need to clear security as if its a ex-EU flight?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yes: http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:11 pm

65 mins should be fine. As you come out of the DUB gate you don't turn left but instead go straight on to ''International Flight Connections'' a staff member will check your next boarding card and then you proceed onwards.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And because of the layout, and assuming you arrive on time, I'd suggest you go landside with the arriving passengers, turn left when leaving the baggage reclaim area into landside, take the lifts to Departures and use South Security. If you are late then stick to Flight Connections since Conformance is more flexible that route. From landside it's hard-wired at T-35 minutes.

The reason being is that you have quite a good short cut from the DUB arrival gates to landside, you should be through very quickly.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:27 pm
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I usually try to keep my connections to 180 minutes so we will see how this goes - fingers crossed!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:04 am
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And because of the layout, and assuming you arrive on time, I'd suggest you go landside with the arriving passengers, turn left when leaving the baggage reclaim area into landside, take the lifts to Departures and use South Security. If you are late then stick to Flight Connections since Conformance is more flexible that route. From landside it's hard-wired at T-35 minutes.

The reason being is that you have quite a good short cut from the DUB arrival gates to landside, you should be through very quickly.
Because of the CTA will I not have to clear immigration when going landslide?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bdohmen
Because of the CTA will I not have to clear immigration when going landslide?
No passport checks if going landside,

I don't know how well you know T5 but the new white passageway runs parallel to the length of the building and dumps you behind/after the UK Border area, so you then just drop down to baggage reclaim and then out from there. It's big short cut on going via Flight Connections. Consequently if going landside without having to claim baggage you would be in the public arrivals area in well under 5 minutes from leaving the aircraft door. The police do reserve the right to question arriving passengers but after day 1 they haven't been seen since. You are also technically liable to a Customs search, but that would be very rare (I've not had one for years and years now, last one was in Manchester Airport of all places).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:47 pm

No passport checks if going landside,

I don't know how well you know T5 but the new white passageway runs parallel to the length of the building and dumps you behind/after the UK Border area, so you then just drop down to baggage reclaim and then out from there. It's big short cut on going via Flight Connections. Consequently if going landside without having to claim baggage you would be in the public arrivals area in well under 5 minutes from leaving the aircraft door. The police do reserve the right to question arriving passengers but after day 1 they haven't been seen since. You are also technically liable to a Customs search, but that would be very rare (I've not had one for years and years now, last one was in Manchester Airport of all places).
True enough last week it only took me a few mins to get to baggage reclaim just a shame I had to wait ages for the bags when I got there. Obviously this wont be the case for the scenario above.

Do LHR have the live updates of security processing times on their App/Website similar to DUB?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:43 pm
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Do LHR have the live updates of security processing times on their App/Website similar to DUB?
I used to think so but based on two years of being there every other week I am beginning to think its hard wired to show two stick figures @ South and five stick figures @ North.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by bdohmen
I used to think so but based on two years of being there every other week I am beginning to think its hard wired to show two stick figures @ South and five stick figures @ North.
The other day it did show 3/3 when I went through. Although I do sometimes think that if some people woke up and got themselves ready before entering the lines then it would go down to 2/2. The guy in front of me suddenly decided to take his 10 100ml bottles out of his shower bag one by one into the clear plastic bag the screener chucked at him holding up everyone in the queue. They should have the power to send them to the back for delaying everyone.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:03 pm

I'm curious about since since I'll be doing a US trip ex DUB soon.

Now BA DUB flights are arriving in T5, does going landside not mess up your ready to fly status if you arrive in LHR if you've already got a boarding pass for the connecting flight?

Or is that only set when they scan your BP at the flight connections section?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Conor99
Or is that only set when they scan your BP at the flight connections section?
The Ready to Fly record is only live when you get to Flight Connections or security from landside and go through the scan there. If your connection is under an hour you better stick to Flight Connections since they are more flexible about conformance there, whereas at South and North security - if coming from landside - it's a fairly inflexible 35 minutes. But if you have an hour or more from arrival to the scheduled departure, it would seem best to me to go landside in the case of DUB flights.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:21 pm

The Ready to Fly record is only live when you get to Flight Connections or security from landside and go through the scan there. If your connection is under an hour you better stick to Flight Connections since they are more flexible about conformance there, whereas at South and North security - if coming from landside - it's a fairly inflexible 35 minutes. But if you have an hour or more from arrival to the scheduled departure, it would seem best to me to go landside in the case of DUB flights.
Cool, thanks for the clarification c-w-s. I'll have to see what my connection time is like when I'm next out there, combined with the queue size and see if going landside is better.

I've generally found with the silver card + fast track in T5, flight connections was never too terrible to consider going landside and back.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Conor99
Cool, thanks for the clarification c-w-s. I'll have to see what my connection time is like when I'm next out there, combined with the queue size and see if going landside is better.

I've generally found with the silver card + fast track in T5, flight connections was never too terrible to consider going landside and back.
Well the best route landside is now set up immediately after you arrive into T5. So you won't see the Flight Connections queues if you want to take what is quite a hefty short cut. You can of course decide to go landside later on, via the UK Border, but that misses both the short cut and adds the delay of an unnecessary passport check, even if the e-gates are clear for you. That said, I've also so far avoided most of the horror stories about Flight Connections, though I have sometimes gone landside if I have an instinct that it may be busy in security.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
With the school holidays coming to end whats flight connections like at the moment?

We are connecting via DUB this weekend arriving into LHR before lunch.
We have a good 3-4hr connection, but we have the kids in tow (3yrs old) so would prefer a smooth transit.

So do we risk flight connections, or take the short-cut to landside and re-enter via South Security?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.