Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business Class IL28SALE fares: DUB/CPH/BRU to North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nth_utsera_sth_utsera
Welcome to the thread, but please read this bit first

New to the thread? Welcome! If you are asking about obtaining tier points in the current sale, please read the following posts first.
  • from DUB, IL28SALE - to US reported here, e.g. JFK - €1140, LAX - €1395, HNL - €1395, needs to be booked by 27 Jan, see linked post for valid travel periods
  • from CPH, IL28SALE - to US reported here, e.g. JFK - £804, LAX - £1149, HNL - £1220, needs to be booked by 27 Jan, see linked post for valid travel periods
  • from ARN, IL28SALE - to US, e.g. JFK - £1093, LAX - £1327, HNL - £1479, needs to be booked by 15 Jan, valid travel periods same as above links
  • from BRU, IL28SALE - to US reported here, e.g. JFK - £1344, LAX - £1367, HNL - £1465, needs to be booked by 15 Jan, see linked post for valid travel periods
  • from AMS, IL28SALE - to US, e.g. JFK - £1382, LAX - £1397, HNL - £1532, needs to be booked by 27 Jan, valid travel periods same as above links
  • from LCA, IL28SALE - to US, e.g. JFK - £1514, LAX - £1705, HNL - £1958, needs to be booked by 27 Jan, valid travel periods same as above links

If your question is not answered there, or you want more help, please do post and join in.
Print Wikipost

Business Class IL28SALE fares: DUB/CPH/BRU to North America

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
DUB-MAD-LCY is a good catch. I am surprised so many transfers are permitted. Are you staying the night near LCY though?
Probably. It's a short overnight and don't want to wander into central london.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Nigel:
Call BA with the flight numbers, make sure they book in First Class (typically A) and you should be fine. You get an extra segment JFK-PHX-LAX-HNL but that's all I can suggest.
Enjoy.

Originally Posted by ftaitr
Hi All

Would appreciate a bit of guidance booking an ex-DUB TP run to HNL for the 27 March 2015 sale period. (I'm doing this to hit 3000 TP before 8 April as I'm one of the people affected by the recent GGL rule change).

I can do either starting 27 March or the following week I guess 1st or 2nd April avoiding Good Friday for starting travel, looking to have a couple of days in Hawaii to get over it!

Is the best routing available for maximising TPs: DUB - LCY - JFK - PHX - HNL - PHX - JFK - LCY - DUB for 1340TP, or are there better routes?

I've had a bit of a play around with Matrix and can see I can do that routing for £1163. Can I book this on the phone with BA but with AA flight numbers to make sure I get A class TP, or should I use the AA multi-city tool?

First time doing this, so some hand-holding is required...

Nigel
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by xenole
Some good prices for positioning flights. Around £80+ for LON-DUB-LON in Y.
Seems to be £44 LHR-DUB or £40 LCY-DUB. Think it's worth paying the extra £4 to fly from LHR in order to get fed and watered in the lounge.
(Noticed the 2 flights that cost twice as much are on A319s, the rest on A320s - coincidence or just the time of day?)
I'm going out of city in J. £100 each way discounted to £100 total with Avios ^
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Had BA not altered their GGL policy, I'd have hit GGL by June. As things stand, I will need 750 TPs to hit it by April.

I usually start from a London airport, and don't want to be away more than an overnight stay as the OH won't appreciate it!

What would be my best options?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:56 pm

Just another thing i noticed: DUB and CPH are common rated as start points. Meaning you can fly out of DUB, and back into CPH or vice versa.

Not so interesting for most, but considering I've never been to dublin, and haven't been to HEL for a few years - i thought this would be of interest to someone who had the inclination to visit both.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Had BA not altered their GGL policy, I'd have hit GGL by June. As things stand, I will need 750 TPs to hit it by April.

I usually start from a London airport, and don't want to be away more than an overnight stay as the OH won't appreciate it!

exUK, none really unless you want to spend upwards of £1.4k getting your 750 TPs. exEU, there are a few options to get around 600 TPs to go to the US East Coast for a short trip say to BOS via LCY and JFK. Alternatively you could do a trip to the West Coast but you are going to be away for more than one night doing this. How much are you prepared to spend in money and time doing this?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
exUK, none really unless you want to spend upwards of £1.4k getting your 750 TPs. exEU, there are a few options to get around 600 TPs to go to the US East Coast for a short trip say to BOS via LCY and JFK. Alternatively you could do a trip to the West Coast but you are going to be away for more than one night doing this. How much are you prepared to spend in money and time doing this?
Hi Karfa,

A 600TP run is just what I need - I'd do a separate ticket to bring me to YYZ or YUL.

Are there any examples that come to mind?

Last edited by Clark_Shuster; Dec 21, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA Tier Point runs | 2014 master thread

Yes, DUB-LCY-JFK-BOS-JFK-LCY-DUB would get you 620 TPs. Instead of BOS any other similar short route from JFK should work, so ORD or DCA for example. Lots of variations of this in the wiki.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

DUB/CPH/BRU-LHR//LCY-JFK-LAX and back again will get you just over what you need: 780 TPs. If you want to get BA1 for pre-clearance that means a positioning flight the day before but you can do this avoiding the need for an overnight. Stay one night in NY or LA and then back to London two days after you hopped across the Pond.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You boys are collectively insane and all of you are :-::-::-::-::-:

Thank you so much!!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Nice find - what dates are you looking at as I cannot get close to this price?
July 8 - July 14
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Can anyone help me get my head around the stopovers on the AA sale fare - if I were to do DUB to HNL with a stopover in PHX > 24 hours, does it mean that I can't route via LCY-JFK as it would result in too many transfers?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by AndyRobin
Can anyone help me get my head around the stopovers on the AA sale fare - if I were to do DUB to HNL with a stopover in PHX > 24 hours, does it mean that I can't route via LCY-JFK as it would result in too many transfers?
The stopover will take you out of IL28 so the fare will jump dramatically

2 connections but no stops.....
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by teledude
The stopover will take you out of IL28 so the fare will jump dramatically

2 connections but no stops.....

I read that there is an AA fare that is the same as IL28 sale that allows a stop for 100EUR, see below.

I think though if you go via LON then it breaks the fare rules, is that correct?

I can price up DUB-JFK-PHX stop PHX-HNL stop HNL-PHX-JFK-DUB for £1142. If I add LON into the equation it goes up to £1850.

AA fare ILWEO4WA allows stopover (same price as IL28sale)

American Airlines Inc. (AA) ILWEO4WA
Category 8: Stopover restrictions

ORIGINATING AREA 2 -
2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION
LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 2 AT EUR 100.00 EACH.
1 FREE IN CLT/PHL
2 AT EUR 100.00 EACH.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyRobin
I read that there is an AA fare that is the same as IL28 sale that allows a stop for 100EUR, see below.

I think though if you go via LON then it breaks the fare rules, is that correct?

I can price up DUB-JFK-PHX stop PHX-HNL stop HNL-PHX-JFK-DUB for £1142. If I add LON into the equation it goes up to £1850.
Yes. Only two transfers permitted on that one. I expect it would be possible to do DUB-LON-PHX, providing AA have a codeshare on the LHR-PHX.

However, you aren't stopping on your way home, so you can combine the yes-stopover fare with the lots-of-transfers fare, if you see what I mean.

The fares will add together on a half-round-trip basis.

So AA ILWE04WA covers DUB-JFK-PHX, PHX-HNL
And AA/BA/US/AY/IB IL28SALE (or whatever it was called) covers HNL-PHX-JFK-LCY-DUB.

If you use the ITA Matrix it will show you at the end how it computed the cost and which fares it used.

What is happening for you when you try to go via London is
DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX covered by the sale fare
PHX-HNL is covered by a oneway F fare (ouch)
HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-DUB covered by the sale fare

You can guess from that you have a third option: book the PHX-HNL flight separately with Avios.

Not the best TP run but if you have to be in PHX and you have to be in HNL and you really want to go via LCY, you might find this is the best choice.

Last edited by Calchas; Dec 22, 2014 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.