Wiki Posts
Search

Name Change & Upcoming Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Name Change & Upcoming Flights

Got married earlier this year and now have the situation where my wife is trying to change her name on official documents.

She's still currently travelling under her maiden name and she already has some flights booked in May under this name, so we don't want to have her passport updated before then, but in the current sale we want to book some flights for November 2015. With that in mind, is it worth booking them in her married name, and how difficult is it to update BAEC to make sure that those flights credit and she keeps her current avios? Or is it better to book in her maiden name and change the name on the flights/BAEC account at a later date and possibly pay whatever the fee is (the difference in taxes I think - likely to change?).

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Pet0r
Got married earlier this year and now have the situation where my wife is trying to change her name on official documents.

She's still currently travelling under her maiden name and she already has some flights booked in May under this name, so we don't want to have her passport updated before then, but in the current sale we want to book some flights for November 2015. With that in mind, is it worth booking them in her married name, and how difficult is it to update BAEC to make sure that those flights credit and she keeps her current avios? Or is it better to book in her maiden name and change the name on the flights/BAEC account at a later date and possibly pay whatever the fee is (the difference in taxes I think - likely to change?).

Thanks
BA will update bookings for her married name - info here which also included a link to details of how to update her BAEC profile
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Physci
BA will update bookings for her married name - info here which also included a link to details of how to update her BAEC profile
Thanks - I know they will, but it mentions that I may be charged extra if the "taxes, fees and carrier charges" have changed. That's what I'm worried about - are they likely to change at all, and if so, by a lot? If it's really unlikely they will increase or if they will only increase by a small amount then that's fine.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Pet0r
Thanks - I know they will, but it mentions that I may be charged extra if the "taxes, fees and carrier charges" have changed. That's what I'm worried about - are they likely to change at all, and if so, by a lot? If it's really unlikely they will increase or if they will only increase by a small amount then that's fine.
Would not expect big changes as they are referring to changes in things like APD rather than a change in the underlying fare basis.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Have you tried the British Airways Website?

Due to the increases in security measures, you can no longer travel in your maiden name but have your passport in your married name, or travel in your married name and have your passport in your maiden name. It's also no longer possible to simply take your marriage certificate as a form of identification when you check-in.

To ensure as smooth a journey as possible, we ask that you have your booking, ticket and passport all in the same name.
If you need to change your name on an existing ticket to match your married/maiden name in your passport, please contact your nearest British Airways office. There is no charge for this type of change, however if the taxes, fees and carrier charges on your ticket have changed since you made the booking we will need to take any additional monies at this point. Please be ready to send us some proof of identity if we think it's necessary.

The similar situation to above applies to any customers who have maybe got divorced and returned to their maiden name, or have changed their name by deed poll - simply contact your nearest British Airways office to make the necessary changes.

If you are a member of our Executive Club and need to change the name on your account, we have an FAQ to help you .
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Assuming you have a clear eight-week period with no travel booked, then book in her married name. You'll need to leave out her Executive Club number from the booking until after the name change is processed on her account. Requesting the name change is just a matter of posting her EC card and a copy of the marriage certificate with a covering letter to BA.

Why eight weeks? The passport office
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:27 am

I have just changed the name on my passport (I did the form online and then posted in with photos and marriage certificate and had my new passport in 4 days using the standard service). I then called BA and had to email in the marriage certificate to change my BAEC account and she said once it was done I just need to call in and change my future bookings - I haven't actually don't this yet but she told me there was no charge.
Hope that helps, and congrats on the wedding!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:57 am

Just to update, I have just called to change, and was told to email a copy of my passport and marriage certificate and that I am actually due 11.50 refund on the taxes!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.