Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which lounge in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Don't worry too much, this forum thrives on questions being asked, and there may well be new travellers out there very interested in your question.

You can check in for BA at the Kowloon or HK Central rail station terminals, any time the day of travel if you really want to extend your visit. The BA checkin is shared with Finnair on the left side of the desks. And indeed you can enter the airport at any time if HBO.

By all means visit the Wing First lounge for CX and the business class Noodle Bar, but then visit the Qantas lounge too, it would be interesting to know what you make of them, side by side.
I normally just use CX F Wing as it is convenient, quiet and they make negronis. Had a chance to try the QF lounge a couple of days back as had a delayed flight departing from gate 17 just below the QF lounge. I won't bother again. Everything from the food to the alcohol and seating is noticeably below the CX F lounge standard. Their sparkling wine is some overly sweet Aussie crap. I didn't try the bathrooms so perhaps these are better for those with less good eyesight but I can't imagine they have better showers than the cabanas in the wing in any event. Stick to CX F wing and you won't go wrong.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Their (QF) sparkling wine is some overly sweet Aussie crap.
It is over a year since I was last in the QF Flounge but they served Veuve Clicquot at that time. Has it been replaced?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: Meh
I normally just use CX F Wing as it is convenient, quiet and they make negronis. Had a chance to try the QF lounge a couple of days back as had a delayed flight departing from gate 17 just below the QF lounge. I won't bother again. Everything from the food to the alcohol and seating is noticeably below the CX F lounge standard. Their sparkling wine is some overly sweet Aussie crap. I didn't try the bathrooms so perhaps these are better for those with less good eyesight but I can't imagine they have better showers than the cabanas in the wing in any event. Stick to CX F wing and you won't go wrong.
WING is normally my go-to place but I enjoyed MY one time visit to the QF lounge. The people are more bubbly, the red wines decent, and the buffet has a good choice. Not so sure about the comfort levels of the seating, but the QF lounge is superior to the GF at LHR IMO. Worth checking out.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had a chance to try the QF lounge a couple of days back as had a delayed flight departing from gate 17 just below the QF lounge. I won't bother again. Everything from the food to the alcohol and seating is noticeably below the CX F lounge standard. Their sparkling wine is some overly sweet Aussie crap.
Sitting at the bar in the QF lounge is one of my favourite places in an airport. Agreed that you should avoid the sparkling wine, but the cocktails and drink selection, combined with the always friendly staff bringing out dim sum directly from the kitchen make it a very easy travelling experience.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
It is over a year since I was last in the QF Flounge but they served Veuve Clicquot at that time. Has it been replaced?
There is no QF F lounge at HKG any more - just The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge, which is combined F/J.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Genius1
There is no QF F lounge at HKG any more - just The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge, which is combined F/J.
Thanks for the update.

I am disappointed at the way the F lounges in SIN and HKG have disappeared but at least there are good CX F lounges in HKG.

I was never that impressed with the QF F lounge (not great atmosphere, food very poor), but at least it was close to the gate, had VC and small nice ice cream tubs and computers.

I used to stop there after eating in the F Wing, and lean over the balcony to see how boarding was progressing!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks for the update.

I am disappointed at the way the F lounges in SIN and HKG have disappeared but at least there are good CX F lounges in HKG.

I was never that impressed with the QF F lounge (not great atmosphere, food very poor), but at least it was close to the gate, had VC and small nice ice cream tubs and computers.

I used to stop there after eating in the F Wing, and lean over the balcony to see how boarding was progressing!
I think the new QF lounge is better than the old QF F lounge. Food compared The Wing F is dependent on your tastes, probably a bit Chinese v Western preference. Personally, I'd rather eat in the QF lounge but both are very good.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
What about J lounges? I am flying on Sunday and does QF lounge has the tattiest food choice?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by phol
I think the new QF lounge is better than the old QF F lounge. Food compared The Wing F is dependent on your tastes, probably a bit Chinese v Western preference. Personally, I'd rather eat in the QF lounge but both are very good.
Thanks for the information.

Has prompted me to start to think about a trip to HK to see friends and catch up with what has happened at HKG since my last visit because I am obviously very out of date!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cysyuen
What about J lounges? I am flying on Sunday and does QF lounge has the tattiest food choice?
It depends what you like - the QF lounge offers more Western choices, whilst the CX lounges have Asian choices. The Wing has a noodle bar.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by dcbfencing
Sitting at the bar in the QF lounge is one of my favourite places in an airport. Agreed that you should avoid the sparkling wine, but the cocktails and drink selection, combined with the always friendly staff bringing out dim sum directly from the kitchen make it a very easy travelling experience.
Agreed. When I sat at the bar the staff were great, I put it down to the lounge not being open long, but good to hear they are still enthusiastic.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Really enjoyed my visit to the Wing F and J lounges. The step up from Galleries Club and First is huge.

Noodle bar in J Wing is really nice whilst the F dining is superb. Pairing wines with the Al a Carte menu and the buffet has some great world dishes. Champagne glass constantly topped up when sitting in the F lounge and a great full service bar.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
It depends what you like - the QF lounge offers more Western choices, whilst the CX lounges have Asian choices. The Wing has a noodle bar.
Wing F usually has the following a la carte menu, trying to be higher quality dining:

Steak/beef dish
Fish dish
Pasta or 'homely' food as I call it
Noodles or rice dish

And then a lot of self serve noodles, dim sum and other assorted things.

The Wing J has had the same thing for years:

Noodle bar:
Dan dan noodles
Pork buns
Wonton soup

Elsewhere:
Assorted small sandwiches
Siu mai (pork dumpling)
Har gow (prawn dumpling)
Fried Noodles
Steamed vegetables

QF lounge had on my last visit last week:
Beef stew
Creamy mash
Roasted vegetables
Pasta dish
Cold salad selection
Lots of desserts, such as cheesecake and brownies (i don't remember exactly what as I'm banned from this area )
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by cysyuen
are you after the taTTiest food or the taSTiest food?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by chris1979
are you after the taTTiest food or the taSTiest food?
McD is located on the 7th floor between QF lounge and The Wing so problem with either option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.