Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which lounge in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
I'd add to the sentiment that if you've got 6 hours to kill, you should leave the airport and go and enjoy one of the world's best cities.

You can do this and still have enough time for a bit of lounge hopping. My favourite is The Wing F, though The Bridge is also quite nice too (albiet only a J lounge!). Not been to the new QF lounge yet as it's not open before 1500 IIRC.

If we work backwards on the timings, you could come up with a plan something like this...

T-360 mins
Arrive in HK. Assuming your bag (or HBO) is checked through, present yourself to the immigration authorities. This can be busy at times so we'll allow a generous 20 mins for that. Once through you can buy an Airport Express ticket from the counter in the exit corridor of the baggage hall (after Customs). A same day return is HKD $90 to Kowloon or HK $100 to HK Island (approx £8).

Then follow the signs to Airport Express trains. Basically you just walk across the other side of the arrivals hall. It's well signposted.

T-325 mins
Get onto the Airport Express.
Now you have lots of options and I'm sure some other FT'ers will provide thier own inspiration about what you can do/where you can go and most importantly where you can eat/drink!

From a timing perspective let's assume you're going all the way to Hong Kong station (if you go to Kowloon you save a few minutes). That's a 24 minute journey.

T-300 mins
Arrive at either Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express stations.

A few quick thoughts on what to do at each:

Kowloon
Get a taxi from the Airport Express station to Mong Kok (just ask the driver to take you to Mong Kok MTR station - it will be cheap and is much easier than taking the MTR train, especially on limited time!).

Walk around the streets of Mong Kok and experience one of the most densely populated places on earth.

Alternatively you could get a taxi to Tsim Sha Tsui (just ask the taxi driver for Star Ferry Kowloon). This will get you to the famous Victoria Harbour waterfront, on the correct side to view the amazing Hong Kong skyline. It's about a 10 min journey in a taxi and will be cheap (say £5 or less).

Go upstairs (there's an outdoor 2 floor viewing platform, you won't miss it!) and enjoy the view. There's an abundance of things within easy walking distance (e.g. a shopping mall on the opposite side of the road to the waterfront, world class hotels with decent bars such as The Peninsula or Intercontinental). Once you've finished, you could then take the Star Ferry across the harbour to Hong Kong Island. It costs about 20p and takes about 10 mins. It will also conveniently drop you close to the Airport Express on Hong Kong Island (which you can use to get back to the airport). The station is at the lower levels of the International Finance Centre (IFC) Mall and is well sign posted once inside. The IFC Mall itself is an upmarket place with lots to see, buy and eat/drink.

Hong Kong
If you go straight to Hong Kong station on HK Island, there are numerous things you could do, depending on your personal preferences.

Once off the Airport Express you could follow the signs inside the station to Central station (the 2 are linked underground a la Bank/Monument, but far nicer!) and then exit at Central station. You'll be surrounded by streets of shops, places to eat, world class hotels. You're also a short walk from Lan Kwai Fong (the famous drinking haunt of ex-pats).

You could walk a bit further and visit the Bank of China tower and it's free observation deck on the 43rd floor.

I'd avoid trying to visit The Peak (top of HK Island mountain) on a short timeframe. It can be a bit slow to get back down if a taxi isn't immediately available.

T-165 mins
Anyway, back to the timetable! You've spent 2 and a quarter hours on the ground in one of the best cities in the world! Now it's time to sample the airport lounges. Wherever you are, head back to the airport. If you've stayed close-ish to the Airport Express stations, head back there and straight to the airport. Otherwise get a taxi back to the closest Airport Express station (you're probably not more than 10 mins away!).

T-130 mins
Arrive back at HK airport. You've now got 2 hours and 10 mins to clear security, immigration, sample the lounges and board your flight (before the gate closes... in this example, T is departure, not gate closing!)

T
Departure time. You'll hopefully be looking forward to repeating this transfer again, sometime soon!

---
Sorry this post is rather long, but I hope it gives you some inspiration to both enjoy some great lounges and also spend some time in an amazing city.

My timings are relatively conservative and I'm sure others will help with more ideas on what you could do (I was more concerned with making sure the timings are accurate!), and indeed which lounges they prefer.

Hope this helps. Happy to help fine tune a plan with you.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by 000
Once you've finished, you could then take the Star Ferry across the harbour to Hong Kong Island. It costs about 20p and takes about 10 mins

Star Ferry is a LOT more like our BA than we imagined too!

They charge HKD 2.50 for a seat on the upper deck and HKD 2.00 for a seat on the lower deck. BAEC members will feel right at home!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Are BA always from the 60s now the A380 is a permanent fixture? They used to sometimes go from the 15/16 area opposite the QF lounge, there is also an A380 gate here as SQ use it.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It can be either. All but one of my A380 depatures have been from 62, but apparently that's unusual, gate 15 is where they try for, I guess it depends on who rolls in first. Gate 15 is very near the central front sections and handy for the Qantas lounge, 62, down the end of the main pier, is handy for The Pier/The Bridge lounges).
I'm two for two on gate 15 this month on BA26, and have noticed it there on other occasions when flying ex-HKG in recent months. Much handier than the 60-62 options.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Echo going into town if that takes the OP's fancy.

I still visit the Wing when at HKG, but it's fallen off it's perch somewhat. The food in the restaurant is notably of lower quality. It's still good, and better than the Flounge at T5 for sure, but it's not what it was. The cabanas are very nice -- if one wants some alone time. No point otherwise. The wifi in the Wing is terrible.

I like the décor of the QF lounge. I don't think the food is as good as the Wing. But the staff are very friendly, and it's typically better situated for BA departures.

Suffice to say, the food in HK itself will blow the Wing and the other lounges out of the water -- without necessarily breaking the bank. A couple of options in the IFC building next to the Airport Express station: "Tasty" for a fantastic won ton noodle soup (nothing like won ton soup outside of HK) and much else besides. Tim Ho Wan in the basement for a 'cheap' 1 Michelin star experience. The pork buns and chicken feet are very good, the rest is good. Service not so good.

tb
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:54 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by trueblu

I like the décor of the QF lounge.
+1

Pictures/review posted on AUSBT: http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-hong-kong-lounge-review
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW my grand total of 5 arrival and departures this year have all been Gate 62.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Thanks for the all the thoughts and recommendations - keep them going.

Travelling tonight and will be there tomorrow.

I've been to HK 3 times on business for 2-3 days and didn't feel like it I did it justice (couldn't extend unfortunately). Not sure I will be in the mood to spend a few hours going into town - but may well be. At the moment, feeling pretty lazy and tired but I guess I can get plenty of sleep on the flight over.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Thanks for the all the thoughts and recommendations - keep them going.

Travelling tonight and will be there tomorrow.

I've been to HK 3 times on business for 2-3 days and didn't feel like it I did it justice (couldn't extend unfortunately). Not sure I will be in the mood to spend a few hours going into town - but may well be. At the moment, feeling pretty lazy and tired but I guess I can get plenty of sleep on the flight over.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:09 am
Original Poster

didn't intend to do any review but given I have been sending a friend some pics, thought I'd share as well in case someone else would like to see.

We arrived almost opposite the QF lounge so went in there first (didnt take any pics - will do later if I go past again). it was big, nice, spacious and almost completely empty though suspect that was due to it being around 5pm. A good review with pics is here: http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-hong-kong-lounge-review

Then went to the Wing and relaxed in a Cabana for 2 hours. Had a bath and have to say, it was a nice way to just relax, catch up on news (wifi was working well), and relax in the tub for a bit. Definitely definitely beats CCR Cabanas.

Those who know me will note the plastic bag with deodorant!

Given your recommendations, I went across to the Business Class section and had some really tasty noodles from the Noodle Bar.

Also there is the Coffee Loft

and the Long Bar

the seating in the business class section

The First section of the Wing:

right, off to grab some food in the Haven (the restaurant of the Wing). Might post pics if I get a chance later and/or if I pop into any other lounges.

Thanks again for your replies to my original request. ^

Last edited by chris1979; Dec 28, 2014 at 6:25 am
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chris1979
didn't intend to do any review but given I have been sending a friend some pics, thought I'd share as well in case someone else would like to see.
Not sure we'd counted on seeing you in only a towel!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
A bit soft focus'ed I thought. Was that to enhance the experience perhaps?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
ha!

the pics weren't intended for FT when they were taken.

now, where's that edit button....
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A bit soft focus'ed I thought. Was that to enhance the experience perhaps?
haha.

decency restored - it's safe to look again.

deary me.

I better go.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chris1979
I hope you noticed the gym progress! lol.
Where was I supposed to look?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:34 am
Original Poster

picture in question returns having been edited for the appropriate audience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.