Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by T8191
When you are old enough to get your B&Q Diamond Card 10% off all purchases every Wednesday for the over-60s.
Wow, the store heaves then, even though 90% of them have little idea why they're there or what they're doing ... I can't speak for the other 10%, of course, but it's warm and dry and a morning out
Problem is when I remember it's Wednesday and get down there I usually forget to take the card.

Originally Posted by uk1

You do have a Volvo estate I presume?

Why would I buy a car when I can ride the bus for free?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by uk1
If you had mentioned your Over 60 card rather than your bleedin' muccies I would have obviously shown you a bit more respect.
If I get a list ready for next Wednesday, would you mind doing me a bit of a favour whilst you're in B&Q? You do have a Volvo estate I presume?
My B&Q Diamond Card is already listed, Sir. It may have eluded you amidst the clutter of the other program[me]s listed. I could add others, but I decline to mention those publicly ... although now you have roused my ire I might just add to the list.
I need to add Wyndham, AA and US, for a start. Zero points with all, but you have to start somewhere!
Oh, and sorry about next Wednesday ... heading off to HNL, as one must

Blueboys999 ... I keep mine on the dashboard shelf

WE DIGRESS ... HUGELY! STOP!!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
Only joking!

It isn't about purposeful and intentional cliques it is about the natural tendency of these things dare I say almost subconsciously. Some even supposedly highly intelligent people never let a bone go. I for example will find it difficult not to always hit like every time CIHY posts or if Bing Bong Boy returned, (I miss him) and I'd develop an uncontrollable twitch trying to stop myself. On the other hand that other person who constantly tells me that I don't know what I'm talking about every time I post .... well, we aren't quite even yet are we.

Do you get my drift? I am jesting to make my point but isn't life a touch like that here ....
Thanks - the power of the unconscious. I guess that if we are to delve into the unconscious personal and group processes present here then we'd better prepare for a long night!

However, I'm not sure the way a helpful button would be used would be always or entirely unconscious. We may consciously 'like' a post of someone despite its helpfulness, deliberately. Other times we may be unconsciously biased and not see it. Even if the way we contribute to the forum is unconscious however, then those unconscious processes are already present in the way we post, how, when, and how often! A helpful button would just be an extension of the way we already contribute, unconscious or not. Phew!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I'm against any kind of button because FlyerTalk is not a social network where people become more popular, introducing a Like button might create fights among members supported by the likes of other members. I support open discussions, adding a second indirect purpose (the likes) risks to turn them into opportunistic confrontations.

At the same I don't undertand the utility of a helpful button: stickies and wikis do a great job. I like the BA board because is fluid: other forums have consolidated threads about macro topic which IMO kill the discussion. Here we might have four "First dress code" threads a week, but each of them is different and brings new value to the discussion.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:11 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Thanks - the power of the unconscious. I guess that if we are to delve into the unconscious personal and group processes present here then we'd better prepare for a long night!

However, I'm not sure the way a helpful button would be used would be always or entirely unconscious. We may consciously 'like' a post of someone despite its helpfulness, deliberately. Other times we may be unconsciously biased and not see it. Even if the way we contribute to the forum is unconscious however, then those unconscious processes are already present in the way we post, how, when, and how often! A helpful button would just be an extension of the way we already contribute, unconscious or not. Phew!
In the business as usual situation I think it would work ok'ish. However, when one of these regular contentious issues pops up ... which they do ...where sides are taken and machetes drawn, and emotions run high this is where the current approach albeit imperfect is better and the simple button becomes counter productive and will in the longterm dissuade people posting contentiously. And it will morph into a popularity poll, and then regularly used that way.

An example.

Someone posts a compensation issue. A poster in reply says something along the lines of "I am fed up with DYKWIA idiots like you always seeking compensation". At the moment support might be there, but although stridency will always be there having a simple button to press - whatever it is labelled - will be "over used" and morphs into a pseudo poll and it will stop people posting if they think that will be the outcome. People will see the count as a poll.

That is what will happen and I don't think that is a positive direction. And once you add this you cannot take it away so easily.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Interesting to read the mixed views here, certainly can see both sides. But I am now swayed towards being against this which is contrary to my views shared on page 1.

Now I wonder how this thread would fare if this feature existed!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
That is what will happen and I don't think that is a positive direction. And once you add this you cannot take it away so easily.
Excuse the big snip of your perfectly reasonable comment .. but an IT facility such as this could be expunged in a miili-second by IB/FT techies. There might be howls of protest, but possibly no worse than the ones when it was introduced?

I do believe it is worth a test - if that proves useless/pointless/annoying or whatever, IB/FT can just kill it. Instantly.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:36 pm

Excuse the big snip of your perfectly reasonable comment .. but an IT facility such as this could be expunged in a miili-second by IB/FT techies. There might be howls of protest, but possibly no worse than the ones when it was introduced?

I do believe it is worth a test - if that proves useless/pointless/annoying or whatever, IB/FT can just kill it. Instantly.
Except that people would then instantly lose their 'bank' of helpful comment points which they may have become quite attached to. There would be howls of protest indeed!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:38 pm
uk1
Suspended

Excuse the big snip of your perfectly reasonable comment .... but what will actually happen is that it will probably stay in spite of the issues or at best we will be asked whether we would like to keep it or not before that IT facility will be asked to expunge it. More will support keeping it because they enjoy using it. That doesn't always mean that it is a good thing does it?

Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, it's no-win

Merry Christmas ... I need to be in bed before Santa visits
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

There has already been a test of sort of FT member rating/reputation games that has taken place on FT. At least two different sorts of them. One of them was rather nasty with people even gaming things to smack down happy birthday threads for FT members.

Will there be howls of protest here if I claim to be above playing Mucci games or if I play other Mucci games that others may or may not accept? What games are "helpful" and which are not? I'm sure different reasonable people have reasonably different ideas of that.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
As sad as it is posting on Christmas eve...

Is having a bunch of clicks of a helpful button any different that having other reporting features on a thread such as this one?:

post count
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Some of the concerns mentioned here are already 'available' in other ways so not sure this would add any new element that all of a sudden negatively impacts the board. People that feel strongly about an issue will post more and also hit like or 'helpful' more than those that sit in the background or post once and then listen...

Anyway, just a though. Merry Christmas. ^
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by botb
as sad as it is posting on christmas eve...

Is having a bunch of clicks of a helpful button any different that having other reporting features on a thread such as this one?:

post count
by ba_pics, on flickr

some of the concerns mentioned here are already 'available' in other ways so not sure this would add any new element that all of a sudden negatively impacts the board. People that feel strongly about an issue will post more and also hit like or 'helpful' more than those that sit in the background or post once and then listen...

Anyway, just a though. Merry christmas. ^
+1

^

Merry Christmas all.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Happy Hannukah and Merry Christmas.
Originally Posted by BotB
As sad as it is posting on Christmas eve...

post count
by BA_pics, on Flickr
That counter (and its count) is not the product of a popularity contest. That is a difference.

This proposal is not designed to be a thread reporting feature for general member use. The tool is designed to be a member and post rating/reporting feature and not a thread reporting feature for general member use. Perhaps IB (the board owner) will get it to that point, but this proposal and the current technology readily available from IB is rather removed from what some may want this to be.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Happy Hannukah and Merry Christmas.

That counter (and its count) is not the product of a popularity contest. That is a difference.
I agree. I am definitely not joint-second place popular in this thread.

Happy Christmas.

And in true social media style, I hereby Like my own post. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.