Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Old Dec 24, 14, 8:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster

Lightbulb Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Dear esteemed BAFT members,

You may have noticed the announcement currently posted at the top of the forum, asking for your valuable feedback about adding a new “helpful” button to the posts you read.

There is a discussion about this ongoing in the TalkBoardTopics forum, which you can find here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ke-button.html, and a poll has also been added to the thread to see what FT members think. You may wish to fetch the Quality Street before dipping in

The BA forum is FlyerTalk’s busiest and so I am particularly interested to hear your views on this. Would a button that allows you to acknowledge the value you derive from a member’s post be a useful addition to a highly trafficked forum such as ours? When following busy threads, do ever find yourself not wanting to share an opinion but might engage more by using the “helpful” button to echo another member’s point of view?

Please give this some thought and feel free to discuss the pros and cons of the proposal in this thread. If you’d like register your vote (which will be counted) please record your preference in the TalkBoardTopic’s poll.

Thanks for your time and seasons greetings.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Good question, I've seen it implemented on various sites with different results.

Some sites just vote up the popular opinion even if the posts has no real value and other sites it's used more carefully.

One thing I'd like to see is a tagging system for posts. Unfortunately in reality I think it would be too much effort for mods to manually tag all posts and we can't rely on everyone manually self tagging correctly.

I like the variety in this forum (including the off topic stuff) but for some people it's too much.

It'd be great if users could then set a filter where they could remove subjects that are of no interest to them. There could be one for Tesco, one for Tier Point running, one for the BA Amex, one for lounge access, lounge meetups, shorthaul, longhaul, sales, new aircraft, wine, etc. Also a general OT tag so people who enjoy the OT posts can read them without irritating those that want to remain on topic.

This would mean people could have a forum that can be filtered so topics that don't interest them could be left out of what they see.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, AC 50K Elite, Delta Gold
I guess yes to both questions!

I have always wondered why our forums don't have such a feature and had simply put the answer down to an assumption that it is just not possible to add this feature in easily.

Then again there are two caveats to my comments above:
1. I am relatively new to FT and online forums generally. There have been several instances where people seem to have quote useful threads in a matter of minutes - is there already a way to search for useful threads and responses or have people for example just bookmarked useful info and filed it away carefully for easy retrieval?
2. There is a certain amount of benefit from reading through various views on a topic or query which I would not want to lose as that is part of what I enjoy on this forum. Will having such a feature get one to the best response leaving others unread?
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have voted in favour of this idea. I note that one of the reason why some don't favour it is the risk of not appreciating some contributions rather than others (e.g. polemical or unpopular viewpoints).

I personally think it would be helpful if it was used quite strictly: here is a post with specific information, to help you jump to that quickly, the other contributions are just as valuable but may be more opinions or conjecture.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
interesting question.

I guess some (I am probably guilty of this) sometimes just post "+1" or "" to support a point but if this is in answer to a "which seat would you choose" question, then a few more 'endorsements' do add value. not sure if a facebook-esque "like" button achieves the same - it might.

apart from that, I am not entirely sure how much value a "like" button would add but if it doesn't take anything away, why not......
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:39 am
uk1
Suspended

I'm against.

One of the inevitable outcomes of moves like this is that it becomes a convenient tool of cliquedom.

On some of the non-FT forums I see where this operates, it very clearly starts off well intentioned but inevitably becomes less a tool of post approval but more a tool of poster approval and disapproval, irrespective of the actual specific post content. People on those other forums always seem to approve every single post of their mutual support clique.

This forum has gone through many good and bad times, and a well intentioned tool like this inevitably morphs from it's original purpose but then eventually becomes a tool of groups of people to mutually support each other whenever and whatever they post and also used negatively when one of the attacks other mutually disliked posters or perceived enemies. It becomes a well abused tool particularly in heated and emotive debates. All of us have experienced the distinct feeling that once you have disagreed with another poster, nothing you ever say in future will not prompt disagreement from them. It is sadly human nature. This will become a really easy tool to make that syndrome bigger and easier.

I understand why people think this is a progressive step in theory but in my view in time, in practice eventually it takes away more than it adds and I believe will harm FT rather than improve FT. Once it is introduced, I don't see it as easy to remove it if you then regret introducing it.

So what does it really add? I like the rather simple and old-fashioned idea of posters who feel so motivated to simply say "Thanks" or the "thumbs up" or "+1". Must we automate even that?

Last edited by uk1; Dec 24, 14 at 8:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In its latest iteration, the Army Rumour Service (ARRSE.co.uk) introduced a set of buttons visible for each post. Categories include: Like; Dislike; Funny; Informative; Bull....: Old [news/information].

That may be excessive, and as I rarely go there these days I'm not quite sure how well its working. But certainly the option of "Helpful" and "Like" seem a possible benefit when trawling through long/complex Threads.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'm not sure. A helpful post is often echoed with +1s and s anyway, which I think I prefer. And in that vein I will +1 to UK1's concerns about cliquedom.

While we're discussing forum improvements, can the owners have a rethink on the ads which auto-play when you click through to a thread and then have to put up with annoying music/sound until you scroll down and find the tiny pause button?
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:08 am

I'm against as well for reasons that UK1 eloquently outlines.

What is helpful to one reader may not be helpful to another and I agree it could ultimately polarise views and become a tool of mutual gratification.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:14 am

Friends just vote for friends. Gosh, it would happen here in spades. No, let the post stand as published and let the response judge.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
The clique thing shouldn't be an issue. I don't see a Like being any different from the current or +1. What I would like to see is the introduction of a self destruct function that triggers whenever someone calls a member a BA Apologist.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:20 am

Programs: BA silver
-1 to the idea of these things. I don't want to know what people think of my posts, and it would probably encourage too much of one style of posts and reduce diversity that is found here.

Merry Christmas all.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I would like to see a Like balanced by a Dislike, so that some of the snotty, rude, confrontational 'armpits' that pop up occasionally could be flagged!

Perhaps the balance of Like/Dislike might make people [including me] think a bit more carefully about how and what they post?
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
The clique thing shouldn't be an issue. I don't see a Like being any different from the current or +1. What I would like to see is the introduction of a self destruct function that triggers whenever someone calls a member a BA Apologist.
+1

Not often I agree with a BA Apologist!

Oh dear!
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Friends just vote for friends. Gosh, it would happen here in spades. No, let the post stand as published and let the response judge.
Pretty well what I've seen happen on other forums. It generally just becomes a popularity or arse kissing contest. I kind of like the way FT is without like and dislike type options.

Search this Thread