Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I've voted in favour after much thought.

One of the great things about FT (and this board in general) is that the signal:noise ratio is very good compared to most forums. Most members uphold the rules and treat the board in the spirit intended of it. I don't think that the risk of abuse outweighs the benefits of the scheme.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I voted in favour. It would reduce the clutter of posts simply saying "^" or "+1".

No one is going to be punished by me for being unloved.

Also I did not know that BAFT was the busiest board on FT!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I voted against what has now morphed from a "like" to a "helpful" button.

My comment on the other thread being that if the post is "helpful" then the information will normally wind up in the wiki. That is the central repository for all the "helpful" stuff.

Of course some guidance to specific problems always will be helpful, but I dont think that FT needs to go down the line of FB. It would take away from what this has always been and, as others have warned, risk attracting cliquey behaviour for no particular benefit or advantage.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I don't think the odd +1 post is the problem as far as clutter on this board. It's when someone quotes the whole body of a long post and the puts +1 at the bottom.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I've never quite grasped this 'clique' idea.

Yes, there are perpetual natterers like me. The "Funny Gang"? The "Apologists"? Perhaps I'm exceptionally shallow [ cue ^ ] but I've never really analysed FT that deeply. All I know is that there is a broad spectrum of personalities, from the helpful to the snotty.

(I voted Yes, BTW)

* and what CrampedIn13A said ... that REALLY annoys me!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm against.

One of the inevitable outcomes of moves like this is that it becomes a convenient tool of cliquedom.
I'm against too for the above reasoning and also the idea that people may be more likely to click a 'like' than to provide informative additional comments in favour of a particular discussion. If this becomes the case FT will become much less interesting to read.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by antichef
I voted against what has now morphed from a "like" to a "helpful" button.
Ah I see the 'Like' stuff has disappeared from the Profile page. Yes a Helpful button is far more appropriate.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I'm against too for the above reasoning and also the idea that people may be more likely to click a 'like' than to provide informative additional comments in favour of a particular discussion. If this becomes the case FT will become much less interesting to read.
Totally agree with this. In fast moving forums like say a sports team board with a game day thread the like and dislike buttons are very useful but here there aren't 20-30 posts per minute so I like reading the discussions that are a result of most of the posts. Plus I like reading threads about aspects of BA and BAEC that mightn't be of interest to me in the here and now but have proved very valuable to know at a later time. There really isn't a large amount of trolling here either.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Dec 24, 2014 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
I've never quite grasped this 'clique' idea.
Neither have I.

Presumably that means we are not in it.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:04 am

A very good point.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I like that post.

Damnit.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I don't think the odd +1 post is the problem as far as clutter on this board. It's when someone quotes the whole body of a long post and the puts +1 at the bottom.
+1 ^

(Oh ar*e...!!)

(The 'funny' gang, I love it Uncle T)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze
So......having given it some thought, I voted no.

I do like to read the many differing opinions on here, some aren't that different but offer some other angles, I think I would find these disappearing as it would be easier to click a helpful button than add your own twist.

I don't get the cliquey thing, but then I'm not very fussed about stuff like that.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I guess the idea is to easily filter threads that are genuinely helpful (I've not followed the discussion in TalkBoard). But I suspect that after a while there will be a lot of 'helpful' threads, which them reduces the effectiveness of what was trying to be achieved in the first place. And one man's Kate Upton is another's Roseanne Barr.

I think we (others more than I) have done an excellent job (^^) with wikis and stickies and the guides at the top of the page and the dashboard which are truly helpful and far more useful than anything I've seen on any other board.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Ho Ho Ho! Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to you all.

I asked Santa to bring me what I wanted: another FT member popularity contest game and memories of grade school. And Santa brought it.

Thank you, Santa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.