Wiki Posts
Search

New Security regulations at EDI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by paulwuk
The issue is?
Apparently some crew hand baggage didn't get through...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:23 pm

So how would they handle, for instance, a folded pushchair?

Ours is just over 70cm long and has been with us as hand baggage on many trips.

The issue is?
Any other airline policies you'd like to see airport operator staff getting sidetracked into enforcing instead of doing their actual job?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I dare say overhead locker space on flights to the US won't be a problem anymore. On a recent trip around the US, I've never seen such large hand luggage onboard. At EDI, they will all be sent to the hold. Perfect.
I really don't see this as an issue. As long as the containers exceed the maximum hand luggage dimensions, how can anyone complain?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Maybe slightly controversial, but I would welcome it if all airports refused oversized cabin baggage during the security check as many airlines don't police it properly during boarding.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:22 am

I don't see the issue here.

Hand luggage must fit IN the trays which are larger than the hand luggage allowance. Hand luggage can be deeper than 140mm as long as the bag fits in the tray.

I've just gone through security with my usual bag this morning with no issues whatsoever and didn't see any either.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:24 am

Baby buggies are allowed through. Seen a rather big stroller come through a day or so ago. It will still need to go in the hold, but can be kept until boarding.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Yesitsme
Baby buggies are allowed through. Seen a rather big stroller come through a day or so ago. It will still need to go in the hold, but can be kept until boarding.
Err, no, ours almost always comes in the cabin. Fold it up, zip it into its bag, sling it over your shoulder and stick it in the overheads. Ideally above the CE rows
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I have been through the new security hall at EDI twice in the past week. The trays are the same size (as far as I can tell) as the ones at LHR and LCY. Frankly, any bag that does not fit in those trays should not be carried on board anyway. I haven't measured the depth of my carry-on, but it's certainly higher than the height of the trays, but not so tall that it won't go through the scanner. I've never had an issue at any airport.

Last edited by nobbyclark; Dec 16, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan72
I think this might be another 'sorry to upset/Tanqueray' post...

Bags that are deeper than the tray can and are allowed through. Saw many such bags passing through the scanners on Saturday afternoon when I was passing through; some were definitely too big, including those belonging to some rugby team.

I also can't see the airport wanting to pick fights with the airlines, there are quite a few J longhaul passengers passing through Edinburgh and can't see airlines or the airport will want to drive this business away.
I am not sure what you mean in the first line of your post, but as I said I have not been up there since the new trays have been introduced and only read the info and thought it may be useful for others.
As for the Crew bags, they should be in line with Customers, however Flight Crew are on 5 day tours hence they need a bigger bag, which is not stowed in the cabin anyhow. Cabin Crew have no facility of load their bags in the hold, on Shorthaul that is, which is far from great and it has been suggested many times, however the logistics can't be put in place, apparently, with the exception of the 737s which will soon be gone.

So it seems as long as the bags are not longer or wider, it's ok and doesn't matter how deep they are.

Well I agree, that's fine then, let's hope hand baggage on all flights ex EDI will be better and if that's the case, bring it on on all Airports
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: ABBA
Many customers are on "5 day tours" too, or much longer. The baggage sizes are for a reason, anything close will not be caught by the Edinburgh trays, anything legitimately oversized can go through.

All this has shown is many customers, including crew, think their needs are special and the rules don't apply to them. Shocking, SHOCKING I say!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
i have said for long enough that far too many oversized bags get onboard aircraft so this new regime at EDI can only be a good thing
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
As long as your bag is within the IATA guidelines, it will fit fine.

140 is the depth of the tray, the depth of your bag can be larger than 140.

IATA size is 65/45/25.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:48 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:36 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:58 am

Many customers are on "5 day tours" too, or much longer. The baggage sizes are for a reason, anything close will not be caught by the Edinburgh trays, anything legitimately oversized can go through.

All this has shown is many customers, including crew, think their needs are special and the rules don't apply to them. Shocking, SHOCKING I say!
Different rules have always applied to crew and always will, we would not be able to do our job otherwise. We have access to the flight deck, passengers do not. Crew have access to the apron unsupervised, passengers do not, the list goes on and on. Crew are different from passengers, as the airport is our place of work.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
Went through EDI security on Sunday afternoon, when it was very quiet and there were no apparent problems with the depth of the bag exceeding the depth of the tray. Folded pushchairs were going through too with no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.