Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Security regulations at EDI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

New Security regulations at EDI

Hello all, this may have been mentioned already elsewhere, so apologies if it has been.

I have been told that new trays have been introduced at EDI Secuirty, and every bag which exceeds those dimensions will be refused and Pax be sent back to Check in.

Top opening of the tray:
L: 720 mm
W:550mm
D:140mm

Bottom base:
L: 580mm
W: 460mm

Make of it what you wish but apparently scenes at EDI security have been, let's say interesting, with loads of arguments and not sure why EDI is doing this.

Even operating Crew off all airlines have been turned away from Security I hear
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: ABBA
Ba hand luggage is 560x450x250, so how would anyone be turned away?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Ba hand luggage is 560x450x250, so how would anyone be turned away?
I do not know the answer to that, as I have not been up there since it has been changed, but rumour has, they have been and some of the Crew have been caught out too. BA does not run the EDI Airport, so I guess they rule the roost and maybe some info will be available on BA.com in the near future.
A contingency plan has been put it in place for Crew in the meantime, and no,it's not a good one and certainly no exceptions are made for Crew

Bottom line is, if it doesn't fit in the tray, it's not going through I hear
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I hope bags of up to 250mm deep that adhere to BA’s policy will not be refused.

Also, it does seem odd that crew are being subjected to the same requirements as passengers
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero

Also, it does seem odd that crew are being subjected to the same requirements as passengers

They certainly are at EDI, an internal Memo has been sent out.

Seems they are ruthless up there.

Crew is meant to adhere to Cabin bag sizes anyhow, however EDI seems to have a different idea of what's acceptable in the Cabin.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Flier74
They certainly are at EDI, an internal Memo has been sent out.

Seems they are ruthless up there.

Crew is meant to adhere to Cabin bag sizes anyhow, however EDI seems to have a different idea of what's acceptable in the Cabin.
Backlash from passengers travelling on HBO fares and also flight crews is inevitable. I just wonder which will be more vociferous
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Backlash from passengers travelling on HBO fares and also flight crews is inevitable. I just wonder which will be more vociferous
I really don't know what BA and other airlines will do about it as the BA (main bag) allowance is in line with most carriers for Customers.

Last edited by Flier74; Dec 15, 2014 at 4:44 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Is this the new farcical security system, or the old existing one?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flier74
I really don't know what BA and other airlines will do about it as the BA (main bag) allowance is in line with most carriers for Customers.
BA passengers travelling on HBO fares would face a £65 airport check in fee. Under the circumstances BA might waive the charge but that remains to be seen. To be honest, I’d be more inclined to seek a refund from Edinburgh Airport, as futile as that would be.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So the question is whether bags greater than 250 mm depth are allowed to go over the top of the 140 mm tray sides? The other dimensions seem OK. This relates to the new hall, which has been opened full time for just a few days now. My next visit isn't due until after Christmas so I can't check in the near future, but on a previous visit they did allow my bag in, which is 248 mm deep, in the trays during their testing phase.

http://twitter.com/Timeslides/status/544514783333347329

Anyone on Twitter?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

BA passengers travelling on HBO fares would face a £65 airport check in fee. Under the circumstances BA might waive the charge but that remains to be seen. To be honest, I’d be more inclined to seek a refund from Edinburgh Airport, as futile as that would be.

As I said its a new system, it only started a few days ago so not sure what the impact is and as for who to redirect your refund to, again I don't know, unless BA and other airlines are forced to waive these charges given the circumstances.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Is this the new farcical security system, or the old existing one?
It's a new system, started a few days ago.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:50 pm

I can't believe they wouldn't allow bags deeper than 140mm, my coat wouldn't be able to go through!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I think this might be another 'sorry to upset/Tanqueray' post...

Bags that are deeper than the tray can and are allowed through. Saw many such bags passing through the scanners on Saturday afternoon when I was passing through; some were definitely too big, including those belonging to some rugby team.

I also can't see the airport wanting to pick fights with the airlines, there are quite a few J longhaul passengers passing through Edinburgh and can't see airlines or the airport will want to drive this business away.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:02 pm

So anyone with the allowed hand luggage gets through, anyone with overside hand luggage is stopped at security.

The issue is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.