Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting in a higher class w/o paying

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I've seen this twice recently, both times on the LGW - ALC route:

- 06:20 outbound: First of all a late boarding mother and daughter with child plonked themselves down in row 6 (of 7 Club Europe). The purser didn't seem to notice, and to be fair to them, there was no curtain divider of any description on this 734 (not even any panelling that hangs above the last seat of Club). The mother stood up and went and asked the purser if it was ok to sit there. "No madam, this is a business class cabin". Ejected.

Later on the same service I was aware of a bloke coming up from Y into J and sitting behind me. The purser didn't seem to notice. When the breakfast came round said passenger refused anything. He remained until the plane landed and disembarked with nothing said. Not ejected.

- 00:20 inbound: After an extended late boarding process (the captain said the Spanish wanted to conduct a random check on this last departing flight of the day), I was in the first row of Y (row 8). A chap plonked himself down in front of me in 7C and kept looking behind him. There was noone else in Club, and I could tell he was chancing his arm - probably because he wanted to be off the plane quickly at LGW. Within a minute of two I saw a CC member come down and ask him for his boarding pass, he was politely pointed towards his seat, and once airborne the curtain was firmly closed behind the empty CE cabin.
Ejected.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Solution: self upgraders to CE should receive a complimentary bottle of Monopole and be forced to drink it. That will discourage most from trying again in future
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
LOT, or EuroLOT, until quite recently, had some ATR72s. Quite the most appalling aircraft, but that's another matter. Business class was the back few rows. Now in the "good old days" having business class at the back wasn't so unusual in turbo props, if the entry door was at the back. BA had a few of these too. In those days people tended to religiously sit in their allocated seats. However these days the idea of business class even existing on these aircraft was strange enough, but that people couldn't move to the empty seats behind them, on a thoroughly cramped aircraft, meant the cabin crew had their work cut out. I often saw they were met with total disbelieft when they told inadvertent self-upgraders, "No, that's a business class seat".
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
LOT, or EuroLOT, until quite recently, had some ATR72s. Quite the most appalling aircraft, but that's another matter. Business class was the back few rows. Now in the "good old days" having business class at the back wasn't so unusual in turbo props, if the entry door was at the back. BA had a few of these too. In those days people tended to religiously sit in their allocated seats. .
Well I remember these as well on on TXL-WAW and also the use of split infinitives on StarTrek - to boldly go....
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I personally have never done it, but have seen people attempt to do it before and are always (rightly so) told to go back to their original seat.

I've been "upgraded onboard" when a couple got split up (one was upgraded to WT+ due to overbooking). Luckily enough the distressed wife in the seat next to me, told me that her and her husband had been split up and that he was up in WT+. I kindly offered to take his place in WT+ . With the permission of the CC, I took my WT+ seat and the couple were very pleased.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Aren't they're exactly the same seats.
So you would think but 2 hours in an exit row Y seat on a refurbished A320 and my rear end was numb, so uncomfortable. 4 hours in row 1 new CE (LGW- TFS) and I was ok. Reported this in another thread and someone said that emergency row seats were a different construction.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA0197
I personally have never done it, but have seen people attempt to do it before and are always (rightly so) told to go back to their original seat.

I've been "upgraded onboard" when a couple got split up (one was upgraded to WT+ due to overbooking). Luckily enough the distressed wife in the seat next to me, told me that her and her husband had been split up and that he was up in WT+. I kindly offered to take his place in WT+ . With the permission of the CC, I took my WT+ seat and the couple were very pleased.
You're a true gentleman

(or gentlewoman).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
Sitting in a higher class w/o paying

On a lightly loaded 3 row CE ZAG - LHR yesterday two individuals self upgraded and were asked for their boarding cards within minutes pre take off; self downgraded without further argument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.