Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting in a higher class w/o paying

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bealine
Catering is purchased to the exact number of "F" and "J" occupants
On other threads, crew members always tell us that BA over-caters in J and F??
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by T8191
hehe ... I suspect our Gate Upgrade ruined a trip for the people that were sitting in our CW seats when we boarded. Quite sad to see them evicted and sent ...somewhere.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-tr-plan.html
Perhaps off to 2K3K?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
On other threads, crew members always tell us that BA over-caters in J and F??
In Club trays are loaded to exactly 100% of booked loads, "hots" are loaded to 120/130% of booked loads, First is similarly catered, so no spares for uninvited upgrades!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This year alone on a mixture of airlines I saw at lease half a dozen attempts. All cases were spotted.

One of them was very funny. She tried to sit in the 1E seat in CE on a 767, unsuccesfully. You know how narrow they are! Surely her seat in ET would have been far more comfotable. The guy in D and I (F) were bemused and let the whole thing unfold, and the crew member found it bizarre and funny too.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
There have been threads on here before about 'self upgraders'. I used to fly AMS-LGW a lot and quite often, just as the doors closed, the same chap would move himself from just behind the curtain to any available aisle seat ahead of it. Always got away with it, too.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:10 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I have seen someone get away with it on a late night departure Air Canada YYZ-LHR and move into J from Y soon after take-off and the seat belt sign went off.

I reckon he was banking on the crew having done their head-count reconciliation in J just after the doors close when boarding is complete but then be less vigilant after take-off. As soon as he moved into the J seat he reclined the seat back to flat and pulled a blanket over himself and head. On the late night departures for overnight, about a third of J pax always seemed to do this to maximise their sleep time and therefore are saying to the crew "do not disturb".

The J cabin on their A330's was around 30 seats back then and ISTR that night about 20 were taken so a simple increment to 21 just went un-noticed, particularly as he took no meal.

And it worked for him.....good luck to him I say ^
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm looking forward to the first report of a self-downgrader, when someone moves from a non-bulkhead CE seat to the ET exit row seat.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:38 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I'm looking forward to the first report of a self-downgrader, when someone moves from a non-bulkhead CE seat to the ET exit row seat.
Already been sorely tempted to do just that and will admit to even checking whether an ET exit row seat looked free recently after boarding was complete when I was in 2C on a flight. I felt so cramped that the ET exit row looked positively welcoming.

Sadly the flight was rammed to I had to slum it and put up with CE
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
I have also tried this in my student days*, with Iberia: however since I was with a friend and we BOTH decided to try it simultaneously, it had little chance of success..

It was all bravado to the rest of our group but once we were behind the curtain and challenged (after about 10 minutes) by two very serious looking ladies with white gloves and Iberian imperiousness, it was all mumbling and 'can't find my boarding pass'. We scurried back rather quickly, though to this day I tell myself that it could have been an honest mistake in their eyes as we were just one row back though the curtain..

* disclaimer: 5 years ago
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I did a self-downgrade from CW to WT on an overnight UVF-LGW sector, to let my then 9 year old nephew get a taste of the good life. It gave me the opportunity as well to learn new Y sleeping positions, such as tucking my knees up under my chin.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Earliar this year I found myself relocated to 5D from 1A in CE.

The girlfriend of Mr 1C decided that she could not stand 2 hours apart from him so moved from her assigned 5D into 1B as soon as the seat belt signs were off. The Purser saw this and tried to resolve the situation, but the couple failed to understand. The Purser was about to summon an Italian speaking CC from the rear when I offered to move to save a lot of heartache for the crew and the couple.

CE service has never been better.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Arbeiter2
I did a self-downgrade from CW to WT on an overnight UVF-LGW sector, to let my then 9 year old nephew get a taste of the good life. It gave me the opportunity as well to learn new Y sleeping positions, such as tucking my knees up under my chin.
I'd not call that a self-downgrade, in the same way I'd say your nephew did not self-upgrade.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I once accidentally did this. It was a genuine accident though!

Flying ARN-CPH on SK last year (I know, hardly sneaking from WT to F on BA12), I was using a mobile boarding card. I didn't realise, but SK had swapped the aircraft from a 737-700 to a 737-800 which meant everyone was re-allocated seats. (They look the same - how was I supposed to know!)

I was given a bit of paper and the gate agent said something in Swedish - to which I nodded, and screwed up the bit of paper. I took my seat as per mobile boarding card (05F or something).

Anyway, it turns out, 'Sas Plus' (which is kind of like CE but worse - much worse), was up to row 6. I knew I hadn't booked this, and eventually, when I guiltily declined the free sandwich I was offered by the CC, I unscrewed the piece of paper I was given. It was the size of a post-it note, and said on it only 18B. Presumably I had been reassigned a seat?

Anyway, the CC didn't notice, and it was an honest mistake - it's not like sneaking into 'Sas Plus' is desirable anyway. So I guess it's possible - but you didn't hear it from me!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
I once accidentally did this. It was a genuine accident though!
Sure, an "accident"
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Sure, an "accident"
If you've flown 'Sas Plus' you'll know it was an accident

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.