Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre-order catering (First, Club World and World Traveller+) live from 18th Nov 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stuart101
BA's pre-order meal service is offered on the following routes:

From 18 November 2014
  • Dallas Fort Worth
  • Las Vegas
  • Phoenix
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • Seattle
  • Vancouver

From 05 February 2015
  • Austin
  • Buenos Aires
  • Houston
  • Mexico City
  • Sao Paulo
  • San Diego

From 01 March 2015
  • Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Calgary
  • Chicago O'Hare
  • Denver
  • Montreal
  • Philadelphia
  • Toronto

From 01 June 2015
  • New York

* and supposedly Washington (Dulles) at some point soon.
Accra (not sure from when but is available for my flight on 14th Setpember)

This service allows those of us travelling in First, Club World and World Traveller Plus to select our meals at any time between 30 days and 24 hours before flight departure to guarantee our first choice of main course. Orders are placed via Manage My Booking on ba.com
Print Wikipost

Pre-order catering (First, Club World and World Traveller+) live from 18th Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm confused here - have the meals improved or not?

Some seem to say that they have improved, but a lot of people are saying that the standard has gone down.
sorry, meant two separate meal servings as opposing to quality (which IME is variable depending on the departure point...)
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having never failed to be served our 'least worst' choice in CW over the last few years, I am broadly un-moved by the concept. Perhaps we've just been consistently lucky, even as (slightly) humble Silvers?

I shall watch with interest to see the howls of protest when it doesn't work (for whatever reason) along with the level of Avios compensation for 'not valuing your business'

Meanwhile, "BeefOrChicken/OrFish" basically rules for omnivores, and any idea of balancing the starter with the main course goes out of the window. And NOT preselecting the main course leads one into a dark, unknown, corner of meal availability. I confess to being apprehensive.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I'm silver and on my last 3 CW flights I couldn't get my first meal choice ! Compensated with Avios but this drives me insane as on 1 occasion paid full price for the ticket and couldn't even get second choice ! This is a blessing based on my recent CW experiences
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Well in my sum-total of 4 CW sectors and 4 F flights - all of which done as a blue on Tesco miles - I've never not had my first choice... guess I've been lucky, or have unusual tastes!

Still, for the occasional traveller for whom travelling (and planning for) CW or F is a big deal, this is good news. I can understand the old hands not wanting to plan their meals in advance, though.

And presumably, it also opens up a new line for compensation when pre-ordered meals aren't loaded!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If this initiative causes BA to enjoy a reduced cost base then I hope that they invest the savings in better quality of ingredients all-round.

If this initiative does not cause BA to enjoy a reduced cost base then I think it would have been better to invest the extra money spent in better quality of ingredients all-round.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
6F, you are an optimist to the n-th degree if you think any trickle-down savings will be for the pax benefit
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
If this initiative causes BA to enjoy a reduced cost base then I hope that they invest the savings in better quality of ingredients all-round.

If this initiative does not cause BA to enjoy a reduced cost base then I think it would have been better to invest the extra money spent in better quality of ingredients all-round.
a) Fat chance

and

b) Fat chance

Clear enough?

Basically, I am totally in favour of this as not getting your first (or even second choice) of meal in J is poor and in F its appalling.

I really don't think that pre-selection in F should be necessary at all, as for the fares that are (technically) charged there really shouldn't be any excuse for the airline to fail to deliver a full choice of delicious food.

I do think that in F there should be a wider choice - maybe a set of revolving seasonal favourites. This would serve as a bit of differentiation between F and J and I'm struggling to see why this should cost more - I'm not suggesting the spread offered by SQ just a few more goodies to choose from, but I still think that as a primary tool for securing a meal choice in F, this is totally wrong.

In J it is nothing short of irritating not to get one's first choice. At least this way regulars will get the hang of this. Personally I think it's a good idea as I don't enjoy the meal 'lottery' at all - and it's not something I see much on other airlines.

In WTP I think this is a real must as a choice of only 2 mains means that there is a real danger of a good/yuck field gives you only a potential 50/50 starting off point.

In an ideal world it shouldn't be necessary, but there we are.

I don't see why pre-selecting would affect your op-up chances. The person taking your seat would still have your meal or the options left in the 'pool'.

So overall, a good thing IMHO and let's hope that this isn't just another smokescreen for further cuts.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I hope Iberia follow suit in J.

Missed out on the fish last trip because I was sat at the back.....the Spanish seem to choose fish first over anything else.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
a) Fat chance

and

b) Fat chance

Clear enough?
^
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
While Qantas

are introducing pre-booked meals in Y too and with extra options on top!

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...my-dining-menu
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom

My understanding is that this has been introduced as a cost neutral enhancement.

I doubt that it will be.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A little more information.
You will be able to preorder from the normal menu for that flight for the main course only.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not everyone is a GCH angatol.
Most of my flights have been as a Silver, and even then I still always got my first choice. I don't think it's ever been a status issue.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:30 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Can I help you
A little more information.
You will be able to preorder from the normal menu for that flight for the main course only.
So nothing more than the bare minimum. Don't understand why this shouldn't apply to first courses aswell.

Bit of a shame that they haven't used this as an opportunity to perhaps offer a few more choices. I suppose with the inept Gate Gormless in the mix BA doesn't want to push the envelope too far here

Who knows, maybe a future improvement?

Is the BA the only airline who are offering this in F (as opposed to a true Book The Cook experience)? I still maintain that this shouldn't be necessary in F, but isn't this therefore rather an admission that this would save them costs rather than loading the full menu for all on board - which they've been doing on the sly anyway for a while now?

Hope it works out and they can use this as the basis for introducing some real choice improvements in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.