Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Wonder if HAL has considered knocking out a bit of retail space out to ...
I would be astonished.

There is, we are sometimes told, sufficient space left as void behind the F check in section to accommodate a dedicated security area for F pax. I've no idea if this is true.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Calchas

I would be astonished.

There is, we are sometimes told, sufficient space left as void behind the F check in section to accommodate a dedicated security area for F pax. I've no idea if this is true.
Maybe if enough of the 'mere' golds and GGLs complain as well there's some hope that this will get activated. Zone K style I presume

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:34 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Maybe if enough of the 'mere' golds and GGLs complain as well there's some hope that this will get activated. Zone K style I presume
How did a link to FIFA get inserted into your quote of my post?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: ABBA
If security is so bad and people aren't getting enough time in the shops, I suspect the solution will be increasing conformance to 60m or longer.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I would be astonished.

It has gone downhill all the way since the dedicated premium check-in area with its own security screening in T1. Why would they not have provided dedicated F security screening when they built a new terminal ??
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
How did a link to FIFA get inserted into your quote of my post?
Very odd - I copied that link maybe 2 weeks ago for something else, plenty of other things copied since. I could claim it was a subtle way to encourage people to vote for Stephanie Roche's excellent goal - much better than Rodriguez or Van Persie - but voting closed some time ago

Anyway, now edited!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
While the T5 landside area is nice because of it's spaciousness I've always considered it a remarkable waste of valuable floor space considering how congested the main airside area is.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
It has gone downhill all the way since the dedicated premium check-in area with its own security screening in T1. Why would they not have provided dedicated F security screening when they built a new terminal ??
Because HAL wanted to charge some ridiculous amount I believe - the rumoured cost for the very extensive addition of a single door to the CCR is indicative of their attitude...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold.
Thumbs up

I went through the new fast track at South on Thursday and I was impressed, 4 or 5 stations to load your stuff on to on each side, fail the magnetometer, shoes off and through to one of the scanners and you get given back your shoes as you exit the scanner.

Still not enough room on the other side of the scanner but a thumbs up as an improvement.

Staff are still getting to grips with it to make it work the best way but they are pleased with it.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Because HAL wanted to charge some ridiculous amount I believe - the rumoured cost for the very extensive addition of a single door to the CCR is indicative of their attitude...
Isn't that a fire door?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
There's definitely been some attempt to improve FAST TRACK security. I used it on Tuesday morning on my way to MUC. It will take some time for pax to get used to the new system though. Two lines still but rather than queuing for 1 or 2 people to undress there are now up to 6 'stations' at each belt for 6 people at once to sort their stuff out ahead of the human scanner.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Isn't that a fire door?
It's not an emergency exit. It's just a door into the Concorde Room.

Fast Track improvements at T5 are on the horizon. The Fast Track products at T4 and T3 have recently been updated to match T2, and T5 is to follow.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by Genius1

Fast Track improvements at T5 are on the horizon. The Fast Track products at T4 and T3 have recently been updated to match T2, and T5 is to follow.
I was glad that proper T3 Fast Track opened again and you don't have to go through the shopping mall anymore (bigger part of that at least). Although this one time I actually needed to go shopping but anyway

No queues, no extra bag checks, happy smiley at T3 on Thursday around 17:00.

And I finally noticed the signs about passengers moving the empty crates - I think it's easily missed by many because it's at the top of the barrier and everyone is looking down at the bags to pack as fast as possible and run away. Common sense was not working well as every other passenger just left it there, the rest diligently moving them.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Genius1

What really bothers me in LHR is that whenever they find something suspicious in your bag, they then go through the entire bag and not only the area that is highlighted on their screen. In the US, HKG and other airports I've been too, they only look at areas that were highlight as suspicious on the screen.

When T2 just opened, they took 30 minutes to go through every single item in my bag even though only one area of the bag was highlighted. I just don't get why they are doing this!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:40 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.