Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The British Airways Nostalgia Thread - Your Photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The British Airways Nostalgia Thread - Your Photos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I like this thread very much ^

My first British Airways ticket, age 6 months, LHR-(NBO)-JNB-NBO-LHR. Standby as an infant with my parents on Staff Travel - GBP7.50!

Concorde, JFK Terminal 7, 1997. She had been parked with her tail towards the terminal on the left hand side of T7, I was able to get directly behind and take a picture of both sides of the tail at once. I was in transit at JFK, between a LHR-JFK on my first 777, connecting to the 757 that operated the BHX-JFK-YYZ. The Utopia livery was only a few months old at the time, so I was pretty excited to get this shot. Shame it was only on a disposable camera!

As above but from the side. A little of T7s slanted windows can be seen top right of the picture, showing just how close Concorde's tail was.

A personal one - the JAX office before it closed. From 2001 to 2006 the text with the Speedmarque said FLYTELE, and from 2006-2014, British Airways. The office closed December 2013 but the sign wasn't taken down until Feb this year.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:08 am

Great topic. The farewell tour of Concorde when it came to BFS. It was a freezing cold day with hail and rain but we still enjoyed one last look around.

Sadly the departure was somewhat delayed as she went tech.

Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC
If anyone uses Twitter, there's a BA pilot on there who frequently posts historic and interesting images and facts about BA (and other airlines/aircraft).

@Tim_the_Pilot is his account.

Sorry if that's too off-topic.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
wish I had my pics of when we used to do the fairly frequent VC-10 NAN-SYD-NAN runs in the early 70's.

They are packed away in boxes in Oz.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
wish I had my pics of when we used to do the fairly frequent VC-10 NAN-SYD-NAN runs in the early 70's.

They are packed away in boxes in Oz.
Those would be great to see. Maybe one day if you get a chance to post.

BBC are running a program in two parts which was shown again the other night. it touches on BOAC and nice archives of the VC-10 .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m81f5
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I love this thread! Unfortunately I don't take many pictures nowadays and even less in the past... My first flight was in 1997 when I was two years old.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Great thread!
As children living close to Turnhouse, my sister and I often went for a visit to the long gone viewing platform at the terminal, or stand at the emergency gate on the back road from Kirkliston.

Tridents and BAC 1-11's were the order of the day, and if I can find the photos from the Museum of Flight at East Fortune, I'll post them.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Great thread. I don't think i've got anything to contribute but i'll have a poke around at some point
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Glasgow Airport - photography from the Sir Basil Spence Archive | RCAHMS

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This one is shamelessly taken from JetPhotos, but I have a nearly identical one, taken from Chelsea Bridge, of G-BOAD, back in 2001.
I'm assuming that was on takeoff, not landing? I didn't know Concorde took off to the east, I thought it was always to the west for noise reasons.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I'm assuming that was on takeoff, not landing? I didn't know Concorde took off to the east, I thought it was always to the west for noise reasons.
My photo is of Concorde landing towards the west, from Chelsea Bridge. I can't vouch for where this photo was taken from, but you could argue that it was a decent to the west.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:56 pm

Barbados to LHR my son in the pic is now 12 years old he was 11 months at the time.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by matthandy
Is that where Zone K is (was) now?
Yes

I believe zone K is now closed.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: FT
I'll rummage around but I know I have some photos of a UD Y cabin from 97.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was recalling the early days of the Exec Club when they used to have a converted office as the lounge in T1. There was a small drinks cabinet and some chairs - this was groundbreaking stuff in the mid-80's. And hardly ever more than a dozen people in there at a time.
And in those days you used to be able to buy membership - I think 3 years cost GBP120 or qualify through the number of flights you recorded.
It was located on the mezzanine level of T1 above where the Shuttle check-in desks used to be located, on the far wall. I haven't been to T1 in a decade now so I couldn't link it to the current building.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.