Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best economy flight to New York?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
If timings isn't important for you (it's basically how I choose my flights) I'd go for the 777. If you have oneworld status AA with MCE is the best option, otherwise I think BA seats are wider than AA's.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I would avoid the AA77w with 10 across seating in economy. The old 777 with 2-5-2 seating are better providing you stay out of the middle seat of 5. You can of course choose your AA seat for free at time of booking, even if you book on BA.com
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by headingwest
What is Main Cabin Extra? Is it like World Traveller Plus?
9 across (WTP is 8 across), smaller pitch, and still the dreaded 2-people-between-aisle-and-passenger problem. So no, it's nowhere near.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!
I decided to go for the 777 in both directions
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
New York: 787 to EWR vs 747 or 777 to JFK?

Planning a valentines day trip to NYC and have a decision to make re: flights. AFAIK, BA uses the 787 to EWR and 747 or 777 to JFK.

Flying discount-Y (BA site is giving me O fares at the moment), but I'd like to try the 787 with it being the newer bird.

That said, I'm wondering how much of a faff it is to get from EWR to a hotel in Manhattan as I've read the taxi fares are higher.

As for the AirTrain - JFK is directly connected to the subway via the AirTrain, but EWR has the Amtrak direct or NJ Transit via the AirTrain to Penn Station.

Basically:

Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: AC 35K
Flying in Y you're probably better off with the 777, then the 747 and last the 787.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Pretty much the same question asked a few weeks ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-new-york.html
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
Gah, teaches me not to search, thanks
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If you have no status it is worth checking DL - many people are impressed with their Y-class meals, drinks & service standards. There should be relevant threads on DL forum.

PS> My last DL flight was in 2002, my comments are based on what other people say and not on my own experience.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
As for EWR vs. JFK, for Manhattan their is not much in it really. The NJ transit train to Penn station is very good from EWR and there are plenty of hotels around there. To be honest I would pick a hotel first, then choose whichever airport is easiest. This of course assumes public transport, I don't do taxi's so can't comment on them.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Made sure I picked the 777 with the new IFE to JFK recently and really enjoyed it in economy so that gets my vote.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:01 am

Avoid the 747 and you're fine. 777 best for economy as mentioned.

I actually prefer Newark - I'm based in NY for 6 months and doing a lot of back and forth. The taxi ride from JFK is endless, but the flat fare is good value.

Newark to NY comes in around $80 with tolls and tip but if you're staying downtown (Tribeca, Soho, Village) it's much quicker. Outbound even more so, have done in 15 mins. Take the train to Penn Station if you're on a budget.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
My most recent arrival into NYC was in fact at EWR, following a Dreamliner flight (I think it's the only EWR rotation with this type and is scheduled into EWR around 21:00). Arrival was relatively pain free- I say that having (1) braced myself anyway as it is the USA and (ii) doubly braced myself as we appeared to be behind a recently arrived Cathay 777, which I thought was going to result in hellish queues. It still took around 20-25 minutes, so hardly a breeze, but to those of us who frequent the US that is pretty good going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.