Best economy flight to New York?

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and just had a quick question...thought somebody on here might be able to help.

So i'm wanting to travel to New York next month to visit one of my friend who's living there for a year. Unfortunately I can only afford to travel in economy. I believe I have the choice of the 747, 777, or 787? I know that the 787 is the newest, but have also heard it's a bit disappointing in economy? BA also only fly the 787 to Newark, not JFK, and my friend said that JFK is miles better to use.

There isn't any difference in price between the 3 aircraft types, so I was just wondering what you guys thought my best option would be?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I would avoid the 787 in economy, very tight seating.
777 will likely have newer seats and IFE.
747 older seats and IFE.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome calumc

Originally Posted by calumc
Hi there, I'm new to this forum
I'm afraid I can't really help with the question as posed from personal experience (though there are a lot of past postings that suggest the 777 is the best way to do World Traveller). However I can certainly welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA forum calumc. I hope you find this board both interesting and helpful, please continue to participate here. Welcome on board.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
If I had to fly economy on this route, I would choose American Airlines.

Nice new 77W. Main Cabin Extra (free for BA Golds) then gets you extra legroom (36" pitch) and extra width (3-3-3 vs 3-4-3 normally).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: ABBA
777 is the one to go for
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
If I had to fly economy on this route, I would choose American Airlines.

Nice new 77W. Main Cabin Extra (free for BA Golds) then gets you extra legroom (36" pitch) and extra width (3-3-3 vs 3-4-3 normally).
What is Main Cabin Extra? Is it like World Traveller Plus?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by headingwest
What is Main Cabin Extra? Is it like World Traveller Plus?
It is not a separate cabin but part of economy. Extra legroom seats, service is the same.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by calumc
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and just had a quick question...thought somebody on here might be able to help.

So i'm wanting to travel to New York next month to visit one of my friend who's living there for a year. Unfortunately I can only afford to travel in economy. I believe I have the choice of the 747, 777, or 787? I know that the 787 is the newest, but have also heard it's a bit disappointing in economy? BA also only fly the 787 to Newark, not JFK, and my friend said that JFK is miles better to use.

There isn't any difference in price between the 3 aircraft types, so I was just wondering what you guys thought my best option would be?
Thanks in advance.
I had a go on the BA 788 in economy a few weeks ago to YYZ (Same as EWR basically). Having never flown long haul before, I loved it and had no problems apart from the food. (I'm 6,3ish and young)

The fact is I can't compare it to the 777 or the 747 because I've never been on one. I had read the horrible reviews on the forums and was dreading the flight but I came of the flight being pleasantly surprised. Take from that what you will.

Can't comment on JFK or EWR, never been to either but flying to JFK next week and out of EWR a few weeks later so I'll know then.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nux
It is not a separate cabin but part of economy. Extra legroom seats, service is the same.
Do only BAEC Gold members get to select seats there for free?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I normally travel in economy on this route, and have used both AA and BA.
My own personal experience would be 777, failing that 747 both on BA, AA would be my 'poor cousin' choice....but it isn't a very poor cousin.
I have yet to try the 787 ( but I never fly into EWR ).

YMMV
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
In my opinion your choice should be based on what is the best option for your departure from LHR (taking into account your journey there) or your arrival into JFK (again talking into accoount how long your onward journey) rather than what plane you may be on - afterall BA can switch planes at the drop of a hat.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

I've had a very good flight in Y to NY on the 787.

Plane was almost completely empty which clearly contributed to the flight being good.

If JFK is "much better" as your friend says, I'd discount EWR and thus 787 (assuming he's basing his view on distance / time to get to his place - I wouldn't base it on his perceived arrival experience at an airport). One of the upsides of the 787 can be that it is very fast thus meaning a shorter flight in a Y seat.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by headingwest
Do only BAEC Gold members get to select seats there for free?
It's free for oneworld emeralds and sapphires.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 am

777 definitely - the WT isn't actually that bad. Airports are equidistant generally; neither is amazingly convenient (depends on where you're headed) and passport queues can vary from empty to ludicrous.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
My criteria if I have to fly Economy is "which flight gives me best chance of empty seat next to me?" I can live with legroom, but am a little on the broad side. In that respect, I'd be looking for a 747, pref Low J (= more Y seats), and would choose an aisle seat towards the back in the middle block of 4. Food and entertainment (unless you can guarantee new AVOD with 773 or 787) shouldn't vary too much. Another line I take is to look which flights show Avios avavilabilty on WT+ as those are more likely to generate cost-effective POUG offers to W.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.