Wiki Posts
Search

CCR vs The Wing = Boring

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Quite. I currently perusing the Brasserie menu which is both fantastic and cooked to order by a real chef bod The wine list puts bato shame

I've heard they serve Krug at HIA. Yikes
Cheers to you. Have a negroni first though!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by J-Class
The Wing is the product of two excellent Hong Kong family businesses owned by serious long term investors - the Swire family's Cathay Pacific; and the Kadoorie family's Peninsula Hotels.

The CCR is owned by a public company, IAG, whose executives want to get rich quickly, and is run by a mid-market catering firm.

Does that help clarify matters?
Exactly - good post😃
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by srbrenna

I'm currently sitting in the QR Premium lounge at T4
Uncrowded, with excellent food, drink and attentive nothing-is-too-much-trouble service makes this, in my opinion, the best LHR lounge, bar none (and I include the CCR in that comparison). It feels more like a private club than an airline lounge.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
CCR vs The Wing = Boring

Thanks Chaps. I am waiting to push back on QR2 and I am struggling to recall a more pleasant lounge experience. The bar is like the old T1 bar. The staff are fantastic and the brasserie food was excellent.

Mrs srbrenna, who vaguely tolerates our flying patterns, has decreed that QR will have to be used for all eastern flights. High praise indeed!

The onboard champagne is really good rather than just drinkable. It's like BA was fifteen years ago.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Quote:

The Wing is the product of two excellent Hong Kong family businesses owned by serious long term investors - the Swire family's Cathay Pacific; and the Kadoorie family's Peninsula Hotels.

The CCR is owned by a public company, IAG, whose executives want to get rich quickly, and is run by a mid-market catering firm.

Exactly - good post😃
Sounds almost plausible!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.

I think this is a very good point! Sell BA to Swire, that's what I say!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Maybe it's because I'm US based, or because I've never been to the Wing, but I like the CCR. I don't mind people not coming around offering me drinks because I actually like being left alone in a lounge. If I want service, I can go to the restaurant. Otherwise, I can look after myself just like I do in every other lounge I go to.

On board is a different story, but I think the two are distinguishable.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by GavT_london

Compare it to Qantas Syd lounge
QF SYD F lounges often have capacity issues at the dining area though.

It very frequently involves a fairly substantial wait (i.e. 10 or more minutes) during meal times to get a table, and the service can be pretty slow.

It's also often difficult to get a spa treatment, although the treatment at QF F lounges are better than the Elemis one (but so it should be as it's for F/OWE only and not available to CW/J/OWS).

If you sit away from the dining area, you won't really get waiter service either.

I also do not particularly like the Marc Newson décor but that is just my personal preference.

Originally Posted by scillyisles
My favourite lounges are the Private room at Changi and the Quantas First Lounge at Sydney. Not yet tried the Wing at HKG.
Qantas, not Quantas, if you could please.

Originally Posted by Ripley5000
In my experience of about a dozen visits to F wing and CCR, I would say the food in the HKG F wing is way above the CCR. F Wing food is more up to the standard of an actual restuarant rather than a cafeteria (which is what CCR is like) Food in CCR is very average - in fact I much prefer eating at Plane Food in LHR.

Service is also better in the Wing.
If you haven't tried the fish (sea bass) at the CCR, I'd recommend it. The food has improved at the CCR quite a bit in recent months, and service has improved also, along with the food presentation.

There are a few items on the menu that I am not particularly impressed with at the CCR, but overall, I think it's better than it was 6 months ago.

On the other hand, I have been seeing "less good" food at the Wing more often - one fish was seriously undercooked (despite my being a sashimi lover, this was a proper case of undercooked fish) had lukewarm food too frequently for my liking (when it should have been hot, not designed to be lukewarm) and very slow service more recently, even though it never used to happen there. I feel that the standard has come down quite a bit or maybe become less consistent.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 21, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only been there the once and the service was great......and so it should be given the wages there. Must say I was totally underwhelmed with their food offerings though. It was all foreign muck and the coffee I had was tepid.
No disrespect intended, as food preferences are subjective, but I find this statement hilarious!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:52 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
CCR isn't all that bad. Look at the bright side. At least it's not an Admiral's Club. What they serve in those lounges and the Flagship lounges is an utter joke. The LAX FL...two hot items, some fruit, yoghurt, and bread. And that's supposed to be a Flagship Lounge? Even the CX lounge at SIN serves better food than that lounge.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
QF SYD F lounges often have capacity issues at the dining area though.

It very frequently involves a fairly substantial wait (i.e. 10 or more minutes) during meal times to get a table, and the service can be pretty slow.

It's also often difficult to get a spa treatment, although the treatment at QF F lounges are better than the Elemis one (but so it should be as it's for F/OWE only and not available to CW/J/OWS).
That's why the often overlooked Gem here is the MEL QF F lounge. No consolation to those who travel BA16 frequently, but it is quiet, never crowded and certainly getting a spa treatment at the time you want is a straightforward matter.

Having said that, I have found Spa treatments marginally easier to obtain in the SYD lounge recently, but that's because they switched providers earlier this year from Payot to Aurora, and shortened the treatment time overall to get more throughput.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
A good post LTN Phobia.

I will be back in the SYD F lounge before year end so will try it again, but have experienced all of the issues you mention.

it is a pretty good Flounge, and I enjoy going there. It compares positively to the T5 Flounge, which is its direct comparison.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An excellent summary. ^

I like but don't love the Wing but it does generally deliver aside from the dodgy decor.

The CCR is arguably just the third best lounge at LHR.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
An excellent summary. ^

I like but don't love the Wing but it does generally deliver aside from the dodgy decor.

The CCR is arguably just the third best lounge at LHR.
Agree with your first statement

QR and VS for the two better lounges?

I have read some positive comments re one of the new T2 lounges.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ripley5000
In my experience of about a dozen visits to F wing and CCR, I would say the food in the HKG F wing is way above the CCR. F Wing food is more up to the standard of an actual restuarant rather than a cafeteria (which is what CCR is like) Food in CCR is very average - in fact I much prefer eating at Plane Food in LHR.

Service is also better in the Wing.
I will agree like for like service is better in the wing it is still hit and miss though.

I would not describe the Wing food as restaurant quality in any way shape or form. The average Sunday brunch buffet in an Asian hotel will have a far better selection of nicer food. It is better than the T5 and T3 Flounge that is true but that isn't a high bar to hit.

A quick perusal of my posts here will show me as a fierce and vigorous BA critic. There are many better lounges in the world than the CCR but the Wing (in my own experience) is not one of them. One of the best is the JFK CCR though which is in most respects significantly better than the F Wing. Only the wing shower facilities are better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.