Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Tier Point collection year" vs "Membership Year"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / QF Gold / LH Silver / AF Blue / HHonors Diamond, InterConti Ambassador

Hello,

Could anyone please explain the term "Tier Point collection year" and its relation to the membership year?

I joined the club on 27 March 2014. My first qualifying BA flight was in July 2014. My membership year will end in April 2015. According to my member statement my "Tier Point collection year" ends in August 2015.

Having achieved Silver status I will reach Gold status before the end of my current membership year. Will any tiers collected after the beginning of my next membership year (April 2015) and before the end of my tier points collection year (August 2015)

(a) be "lost" as I have already achieved Gold status before the end of my current membership year or

(b) will they count towards the next qualification period, ie the period 2015-2016?

Sorry if the issue was already raised before, but the rules are somewhat confusing and there is no definition of the term "Tier Points collection year". Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:30 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Your membership year is the same as the TP collection year and ends on the 8th of a month. Your card will expire at the end of the month following.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome SirJamesEdwin

Welcome SirJames, it's good to see you here, welcome on board and it's good to see you join us here. Please continue to post here, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Just to add a bit to nux's reply, the membership card doesn't drop dead on the end of the membership year, it last for a further 6 weeks or so, but you need to accumulate the points with the collection year dates. However if going up a level then you get upgraded for both that year and the following year, which is handy. Unfortunately the TPs always get zero'd on the day 8 of the membership year end month.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
More fresh answers in this other thread today, too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-levels.html.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / QF Gold / LH Silver / AF Blue / HHonors Diamond, InterConti Ambassador
Thank you Folks for the clarification and thank you corporate-wage-slave for the warm welcome!

Given that membership year and Tier Points Collection year are the same it seems that the membership year moves across the calendar in accordance with the first accumulation of Tier Points, correct? For a BA newbie like me the apparent necessity to “activate” the start of the membership year by an initial flight movement is somewhat surprising. After all, the BAEC introduction “About Tier Points” defines the end of a membership year as “the anniversary of when you joined” hence my confusion about the beginning and the end of a membership year. The BAEC Terms and Conditions are of no help, by the way: They simply refer to the “Year”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.