Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shrinking afternoon tea

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plane Food picnic. If you ask very nicely the crew might even store it somewhere cool for you. TBH they are better than anything I have ever been served in Club over the last 15 years.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Plane Food picnic. If you ask very nicely the crew might even store it somewhere cool for you. TBH they are better than anything I have ever been served in Club over the last 15 years.
Hi,

good suggestion, I got a plane picnic 2 years ago when I was in WT to LAS.

I did not think I would need one in CW though.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not being a big eater (certainly on BA) any diminution of the "Classic British Tea Assemblage", or whater BA marketters call it, probably woudn't bother me greatly. In the same vein, there's the pathetic TATL breakfast offering, which I usually almost completely ignore.

But WHY does BA offer such dismal 2nd meals? I like the sound of TheBaps historic comment ... So infinitely appealing than the pathetic plastic-packed junk offered for "Tea" or "Breakfast" in J, neither of which would ever be offered to ourselves in this house, let alone to guests. Cheap, shabby, junk ... For the comfort and convenience of the finance people at Waterside, and for cabin crew, I assume?

BTW, I also have no interest in a bloody Bacon Roll as a foodstuff at any time, but especially when offered after all the sweet stuff at breakfast. Is this roll the "Food of the Gods" at Waterside? How often per week/month do BA executives eat that?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
What I really don't get is that I keep seeing photos of these sandwiches in a plastic wrapper! Leaving aside the argument about size and taste, wouldn't it look a whole lot more professional if they were presented on a plate with the wrapper already removed!?

Is it just me being fussy or is presentation on a business/first meal important as well?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by headingwest
What I really don't get is that I keep seeing photos of these sandwiches in a plastic wrapper! Leaving aside the argument about size and taste, wouldn't it look a whole lot more professional if they were presented on a plate with the wrapper already removed!?

Is it just me being fussy or is presentation on a business/first meal important as well?
I suppose there is an argument that the atmosphere in the cabin is a real killer for fresh bread as it dries out super fast, so they would be even more awful than they already are. Of course most people wouldn't understand that so they are presented with a third rate offering with all the presentation style you'd expect from a petrol station forecourt.

Afternoon Tea isn't really a meal that most people in the UK would relate to. Some of the better hotels put this on for Tourists or people up in town for a treat.

Afternoon Tea has been BA's default second meal for ages now for flights to the west (and other routes). This means that you can be arriving in New York at lunchtime and you get this stupid meal. And late in the evening. So in BAspeak, this is actually a meal appropriate to any time of day.

By biggest gripe is that you always know what you get - it seemingly never varies (the same applies in the deaded Afternoon Tea service in CE). So there is never any nice surprise or anticipation other than knowing you're getting the same borrrring old rubbish.

Let's face it, this is a cheap meal to produce and serve. That's why it is popular at BA.

PS Has anyone ever figured out why BA thinks it's appropriate the serve the fruit option in CW 'beakfast' in a plastic container? Can it so much of a challenge to decant it into a bowl? They don't really get the idea of 'premium' any more
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by headingwest

I've never had afternoon tea presented with a wrapper on.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by layz
7 or so years ago it was the norm to be presented with the sandwiches plastic wrapped on a plate.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I suppose there is an argument that the atmosphere in the cabin is a real killer for fresh bread as it dries out super fast, so they would be even more awful than they already are.
Fair point Betteronacamel, but I don't think that would be a problem if they removed them from the wrapper just before serving.

For a premium service it looks very economy to me, here is an example:
http://www.johnnyjet.com/2013/10/5-t...rways-787-020/

Last edited by headingwest; Oct 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
> They don't really get the idea of 'premium' any more

My personal opinion is that the bean counters are being allowed to run amock at BA. To some extent this is understandable in Y where they have to compete with the budget carriers on price so every penny matters, however it's bonkers for the premium product where all it does is risk driving people to the competition.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Shrinking afternoon tea

When BA flew MAN-JFK the sandwiches were served sans wrapper.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
They must be taking lessons from Smisek at UA! The tea was pretty skimpy for my 9.5 hour flight and they didn't even load enough cheese and dessert as I was asleep woke and asked for it but they were out. Underwhelmed for my first time on BA in 20 yrs!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
+1

Plane food picnics are really higher quality and more suitable to a plane than anything you will get in CW.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by layz
I've had it served about 75% of the time with a wrapper on.

Totally agree with other comments about the meagreness of this menu item, especially if you don't like some of the ingredients. A regular M&S or waitrose or Sainsbury's sandwich, choosing from a few different options, would be more filling and probably cheaper to produce as you'd be able to outsource it whilst leveraging product placement discounts.

Last edited by bullroot; Oct 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:05 pm

LHR-JFK Sept '14

Wrapper on, cafeteria style. Scones offered. No warm item. No sweets.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sandwiches should be served with the wrapper on, do you really want someone touching them?
At least you know they are fresh and untouched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.