Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I can't see for looking...what to expect in Club Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I can't see for looking...what to expect in Club Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Question I can't see for looking...what to expect in Club Europe?

Good morning all,

As you will no doubt surmise, I’m not only new to FlyerTalk but also to the BA Executive Club.

I’ve worked out that I’m a ‘Points Collector’ rather than a ‘Status Chaser’ (due to the fact that my Credit Card spend averages 25k a month) so after being a member of BAEC for 6 weeks I find myself in the lucky position of booking a Reward Flight Saver LHR-NCE in Club Europe.

36,000 Avios points and 100 later, I’ve booked the flight (late afternoon in early November) and would like to understand better what ‘perks’ I can make use of at Terminal 5.

I know there are three ‘Galleries’ Lounges that I can gain access to, but as to what I am able to use whilst I’m in there as a CE flyer, I’m unsure… Although the brilliant Guides on FlyerTalk describe what’s on offer for Club World, I didn’t want to assume that everything applies to CE (are all BA Business Class offerings created equal...?).

As a first-time user of the CE service, what advice would you offer a novice to get the most out of the experience?

Thanking you in advance for your input,
Steve
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: BA
Welcome to FT Steve!

You should be able to access everything in Galleries Club you would if you were in CW as far as I understand it, but as I haven't flown CE for a while one of the more regular flyers will be along shortly to confirm/correct this
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the 'welcome' expatboy.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by sbthang
I know there are three ‘Galleries’ Lounges that I can gain access to, but as to what I am able to use whilst I’m in there as a CE flyer, I’m unsure…
You have the same lounge access as Club World passengers, it's only the Elemis Spa side of things that's reserved for long-haul pax.

As a first-time user of the CE service, what advice would you offer a novice to get the most out of the experience?
Err, don't take this the wrong way, but the lounges are waiting rooms with some reasonable free food and drink options. Don't get too excited!

What is the departure time of your flight? This affects the in-flight food options quite a bit.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Yes, you will be able to use the Galleries lounges. Just show your BP as you enter. In Galleries you have to ask for champagne if you would like it so just hunt down one of the staff.

Don't set your expectations too high and you will have a great time. The space in the middle is one of the better perks. You should get priority boarding (although everyone seems to have that nowadays).

NCE is a band 3 route so have a look at this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...de-2014-a.html) to see what you can expect in terms of catering.

Have a good trip and welcome to FT sbthang!

P.S. Have a look here too to see how BA sell CE http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ss/club-europe

Last edited by stu1985; Oct 8, 2014 at 12:52 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you shorthauldad.

Understood: expectations are indeed a little elevated. (like the majority of UK air-users, I've been flying low-cost for years and hating every demeaning second of it, so the prospect of Lounge Access and better seats is extremely appealing...)

Steve
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks stu1985.

Great advice - I'll guide my wife in the Champagne-bearers direction

Agreed re: Priority Boarding. The world (or at least the UK) has swallowed the 'Everyone is an A-star Student' mentality so we're all standing on a thin white line that is neither the start or finish...nobody won or lost - well done everyone!

Thanks for the link re: on-board catering - much appreciated.

Steve
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:06 am

Understood: expectations are indeed a little elevated. (like the majority of UK air-users, I've been flying low-cost for years and hating every demeaning second of it, so the prospect of Lounge Access and better seats is extremely appealing...)
Err ... as for the "better seats" bit, you won't have anyone next to you, but apart from that, don't set your expectations too high.

The gory details of the new seating layouts are to be found here although I've no idea whether you'll get one of the refurbished aircraft.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I find myself in the lucky position of booking a Reward Flight Saver LHR-NCE in Club Europe.

36,000 Avios points and 100 later, Ive booked the flight (late afternoon in early November) and would like to understand better what perks I can make use of at Terminal 5.
Welcome to FT Steve.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your flight down to NCE, but one query.

You mention you used 36,000 Avios for your flight...This is double the usual Avios requirement for CE (usually is is a maximum of 18,000 from memory)...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: ASLEF
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Welcome to FT Steve.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your flight down to NCE, but one query.

You mention you used 36,000 Avios for your flight...This is double the usual Avios requirement for CE (usually is is a maximum of 18,000 from memory)...
9,000 avios per sector x 2 passengers?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk sbthan

As you will no doubt surmise, Im not only new to FlyerTalk but also to the BA Executive Club.

Ive worked out that Im a Points Collector rather than a Status Chaser (due to the fact that my Credit Card spend averages 25k a month) so after being a member of BAEC for 6 weeks I find myself in the lucky position of booking a Reward Flight Saver LHR-NCE in Club Europe.
Well funnily enough I've just arrived back from NCE this morning, into a supremely unattractive day in LGW. To be fair, it was spitting a bit on the Cte d'Azur too, but yesterday was warmer than West Sussex to be sure.

I think you've got some good advice so far, If this is a first time then maybe allow 90 to 120 minutes for the lounge in T5. The NCE lounge (Salon Riveria) is one of the better third party contract lounges with the great benefit of being able to see - from high up - the BA boarding gates, so you can time your departure from the lounge when boarding is close to completion. It's also one of the few contract lounges that offer "une coupe de champagne" on request. That lounge is upstairs after security and passports.

Maybe have a look also at the lounge meetup thread in the Dashboard, if you can get into First lounge you may switch your status v point equation over!

Welcome to Flyertalk sbthang, welcome to the BA board, it's great to have you here, let us know how you get on - we'd love to hear more from you. Bienvenue bord!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks shorthauldad: got it.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks msm2000uk.

My bad: I didn't note that my good lady wife is included, hence the 2 x 18k Avios.

Steve
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Spot-on TrainDriverSparky.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks msm2000uk.

My bad: I didn't note that my good lady wife is included, hence the 2 x 18k Avios.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.