Wiki Posts
Search

Time to enjoy CCR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Gold, Sixt Platinum
Time to enjoy CCR?

Hi, i have a couple of questions. First is how long does it take from CCR to satelitte B in T5? And my friend is flying from T3 in Y, how long before his flight does he have to leave CCR, any security?

Thanks a lot
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
How would your friend be gaining entry airside to T5? Generally you can't get airside in a terminal unless you have a bp showing you are on a flight leaving from that terminal. If your friend is leaving from t3 he/she will only be able to go airside at t3.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi, interesting. I just assumed that since we are landing in T5 from europe?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by norvagabond
Hi, interesting. I just assumed that since we are landing in T5 from europe?
The arrivals and departures streams are separate at t5. If you arrive in to t5 but are connecting to a flight from t3 you will either go via flight connections on arrival and get a bus transfer to t3 or you can land yourself in t5 go through immigration, and get either the hex or tube to t3 to go there. The t5-t5 flight connections route which you would take to go airside in the departures stream (where the lounges are) would not be open to your friend since there is an initial bp check which your friend would not pass.

In terms of timing from CCR to t5b I think others have better strategies for that so hopefully someone will advise. Why do you think your flight would be from t5b? Apart from a380 flights which only go from t5c, long haul and short haul flights can go from any of t5a, b, or c.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
The arrivals and departures streams are separate at t5. If you arrive in to t5 but are connecting to a flight from t3 you will either go via flight connections on arrival and get a bus transfer to t3 or you can land yourself in t5 go through immigration, and get either the hex or tube to t3 to go there. The t5-t5 flight connections route which you would take to go airside in the departures stream (where the lounges are) would not be open to your friend since there is an initial bp check which your friend would not pass.

In terms of timing from CCR to t5b I think others have better strategies for that so hopefully someone will advise. Why do you think your flight would be from t5b? Apart from a380 flights which only go from t5c, long haul and short haul flights can go from any of t5a, b, or c.
Ok, i thank you for the clearifying it for me. I dont know what i was thinking, never flown from T3. I will have to bring my friend there on the way back. Then we are on the same flights.. I just read that all Boston flights went from B.. Not right?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:46 pm

Ok, i thank you for the clearifying it for me. I dont know what i was thinking, never flown from T3. I will have to bring my friend there on the way back. Then we are on the same flights.. I just read that all Boston flights went from B.. Not right?
Not sure where you get that from. It may typically go from b, although I haven't checked, but it can be varied. Boston flights could go from any gate, probably b or c though. However, just to complicate things there is a bus gate a10 so it could go from there when on a remote stand.

Yes, if you are both connecting on to a flight from t5 on your return you can both stay together and access the lounges together.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 8, 2014 at 2:50 am
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks, i will just wait and see then. But would i have to leave CCR like 1 hour before departure time?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Ok thanks, i will just wait and see then. But would i have to leave CCR like 1 hour before departure time?
if you are arriving at T5 and departing from T3 you will not be able to use any of the lounges in T5.

lounges in T5 are only accessible when departing from T5. A, B, or C gates is irrelevant.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:24 pm

I leave when the signs tell me to. Others will have "savour every moment in the CCR" strategies, but the F cabin is nicer than the CCR so I like to be there in plenty of time. Nothing worse than changing sweatingly through the airport.

If you depart from b or c then take the lifts as they are quicker than the escalators.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
All parts of T5 are walkable from CCR in about 15 minutes, and doors can't close until 21 minutes before departure, so formally you can leave CCR 36 minutes before departure. Maybe a bit shorter for B , maybe a bit longer if using the transits or C.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Nothing worse than changing sweatingly through the airport.

I hope you wait until you are on the plane & safely in the toilet before you start changing, rather than flinging your clothes off as you run towards the gate
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
All parts of T5 are walkable from CCR in about 15 minutes, and doors can't close until 21 minutes before departure, so formally you can leave CCR 36 minutes before departure. Maybe a bit shorter for B , maybe a bit longer if using the transits or C.
CWS is the guru especially when it comes to 'precise' timings.

I'd say an hour is a bit too long given flights don't typically board that early (at least not in my experience).

given you are in F, there's also no scrum for head-room locker space or so so I personally wouldn't be too concerned about being amongst the first to board.

If it's a B gate, I tend to leave on the early side and grab a glass of sparkling water, a green tea (if the angel tells me that boarding hasn't started) and spend a penny in the B lounge.

If C, Starbucks takes 4 mins.

Generally, I am in the "I'd rather have to wait 5 mins at the gate than to be stressing about missing a flight or start sweating from running" camp - though that's probably more applicable to s/h travel than l/h where boarding takes a bit longer and feels more 'civilised'.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Having been on a flight from T5C, the lounge staff in the CCR are normally very good, at telling you when you should leave, last time we did this, we got to the plane bang on time, the doors shut and off we went....
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chris1979
CWS is the guru especially when it comes to 'precise' timings.

I'd say an hour is a bit too long given flights don't typically board that early (at least not in my experience).
Plus if you are using the transits, and/or you are a slow walker and/or you aren't too familiar with T5 - these are things that slow you down. So I guess 45 minutes is a safe compromise, maybe 50 minutes if C. The passageways work well for fixing the time to get to the gates, but most people prefer to take the transits.

Originally Posted by all ahead full
Having been on a flight from T5C, the lounge staff in the CCR are normally very good, at telling you when you should leave, last time we did this, we got to the plane bang on time, the doors shut and off we went....
Mmm, for all my ra-ra treatment of CCR and its staff, I'm not sure I'd rely on them for this! Unless there's a delay you best keep half an eye on the clock and use the times above.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Superb, thanks a lot. I think i will leave CCR in good time and enjoy the onboard experience. Btw i had a F flight from Boston in february and had a great CC but i think the food and drinks are better in Qatar J and Swiss F..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.