Wiki Posts
Search

Avios upgrade to change date?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX*G, AF*G; BA, UA
Avios upgrade to change date?

If I travel on a discount economy fare, I can't change the travel date.

But, if I travel on a discount economy fare, and upgrade with avios, can travel dates be changed? If so, to which class does the upgrade need to be and is there a cost attached to the date change?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:45 am

Sadly, you can't upgrade discount economy fare with avios so the question is moot.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by zinneken

But, if I travel on a discount economy fare, and upgrade with avios, can travel dates be changed? If so, to which class does the upgrade need to be and is there a cost attached to the date change?

Thanks!
I'm fairly sure the general rule is that ability/cost to change is based on the underlying base ticket. But, you can't upgrade the cheapest economy tickets with Avios anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:48 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
This is not true in all cases. Some discount economy fares do allow changes/cancellations by paying the applicable change/cancellation fee as per the fare rules.

You cannot upgrade from discount economy with avios. If you are in an upgradeable fare class (Y, B, H for economy or all premium economy and business fares) then the underlying revenue fare rules still apply for any changes/cancellations.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX*G, AF*G; BA, UA
Thanks for this enlightenment! New ticket then ...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:25 am

You sound awfully sure of this. I book a fair number of discount economy tickets (yes, really!) and I've not yet come across one that wouldn't let me change the date at all, if I pay the change fee.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I book a fair number of discount economy tickets (yes, really!) and I've not yet come across one that wouldn't let me change the date at all, if I pay the change fee.
Indeed - I think that all or almost all economy tickets are now changeable for change fee plus fare difference. If the OP's discount economy ticket really is non-changeable, it would be an oddity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.