Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancellation: GDL-PHX-LAX, Crediting to BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver

Hi All,

I had a flight booked last week from GDL(Mexico) to LAX via PHX on US airways. It was delayed just before boarding and then eventually cancelled due to some tech issue with the plane. After queueing an hour they were able to book me on a direct flight to LAX 7 hours after the original departure date on Aeromexico.

Part of the reason I booked this flight was to get the tier points and avios with BAEC. I now have not recieved either of these. If I contact US airways, will they award me these?

Also, because of the delay, I didn't reach my final destination in San Diego until 3am rather than 10pm. Will US airways give me any additional compensation for this serious inconvenience?

Finally, can I claim miles for the aero Mexico flight? I don't collect miles with any skymiles partners so this might not really be of any value to me but good to know of its possible.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Enigma368
...Part of the reason I booked this flight was to get the tier points and avios with BAEC. I now have not recieved either of these. If I contact US airways, will they award me these? ...
From DM membership guide (emphasis mine)

Non-award travel
•If your US Airways flight is cancelled and you’re rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you’ll receive miles for the new itinerary flown.
If you’re rescheduled on a non-partner carrier, you’ll receive credit for your originally scheduled flight(s), but you must contact the Dividend Miles Service Center for processing.
•If you elect not to travel, you will not receive credit.
•If any partner carrier's flight is cancelled and you are rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you’ll receive credit for the itinerary flown, but you must contact the partner airline for mileage credit. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner carrier, you will not receive credit.
Other responses:

If asked, US may give a small goodwill voucher for 5 hour delay. They're not known for their generosity in these situations, however.

In IRROPS, double-dipping is possible when rescheduled on a non-partner like AeroMexico.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by kudzu
From DM membership guide (emphasis mine)

Other responses:

If asked, US may give a small goodwill voucher for 5 hour delay. They're not known for their generosity in these situations, however.

In IRROPS, double-dipping is possible when rescheduled on a non-partner like AeroMexico.
This would apply if the OP was crediting the miles to US not BA. Unfortunately, the OP is probably out of luck when it comes to getting tier points and avios. However the OP should be able to get credit for the Aero Mexico flight with a SkyTeam participating program.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As the OP is crediting to BA, I'll move this thread over to the BA forum for their expert opinion

aztimm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Part of my reason for booking this flight over others was to get the ba miles and tier points. I do not see how they could justify not giving them to me due to a fault on their end.

I guess I need to contact them and find out.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

US Airways contacted me to say I would get avios and tier points for this flight and advised me to contact BA to get them.

Last edited by Enigma368; Apr 16, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

5 months later and still no Avios or TP from BA! I lodged a claim online back In October which said it could take some time to complete.

I have chased several times. Eventually last month I got through to someone at BAEC who said he would sort it if I emailed him relevant documents - which I did. A week later I got an automated email saying my claim had been denied because I had already received the avios and TPs(I definitely have not).

Now my emails to this guy go ignored. I have phoned a few times in the past two weeks, but the guy has either left for the day or there is a 45 minute wait on the line so I have to give up.

This is so frustrating...All this for 40 TPs annd a couple of thousand avios. I guess the best thing to do is write a letter and send it detailing all the work I have to go through for a simple thing and that I have still to receive what i am due.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Sadly is not in BAs gift. Even when you approached the guy at BA CS they still have to approach US. The Avios have to be awarded by US, and in this case they just don't do it.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Sadly is not in BAs gift. Even when you approached the guy at BA CS they still have to approach US. The Avios have to be awarded by US, and in this case they just don't do it.
Well US have officially told me that I am definitely eligible for the avios/tps and to contact BA to get them credited. They even recommended I share their email response with BA in case there were any problems.

The guy at BA was clear that it was their responsibility and they would sort it out(he has failed on that). If they are having problems with US, then they need to sort that out themselves, I can hardly do that.

I am going to ask BA for some compensation on top of the due avios/tps because this should not be this much work..
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:49 am
Original Poster

In the end BA said that even though US agreed in writing that they would issue the points to BA, they are now refusing. Essentially it seems that the merger with American Airlines has gone further and American Airlines policy is not to issue points in this instance so American Airlines are refusing to honour what US airways told me.

BA are going to issue the avios as a goodwill gesture but not tier points. Probably the best I'm gonna do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.